XR-5 ascent question and velcro rockets question

DutchPlayer

Reaction score
Hi,

I downloaded Add-ons so I can build space stations :). I put modules in the xr 5, but i dont know
how to ascent. I know its explained in the documentation, but I dont understand it.

Also I dont understand how to use the velcro rockets add-on. Its documentated (I know) but I dont understand it
to.

Kind regards,
Dutchplayer

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Well.....if you have read the manual for velcro rockets and still dont understand how it works, I recommend you look at some of the stacks made with it and look at how those lines are actually used and how they work.

As for the XR-5....burn, v1, rotate, v2....climb up at something like 70 degrees, get up and out of the thick air....

Then level out, at like 25km or so...maybe even 30km...

accelerate to Mach 3.5, open the SCRAM doors, full throttle on them, kill throttle on the mains, then adjust your pitch to maintain no more than 10kpa of dynamic pressure.

Once your SCRAMS are empty, or they have gotten too hot, kill throttle, close the doors. Pitch up to about 20 degrees, then full on the mains again until you hit your target ApA.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Cras explained it perfectly (in a nutshell). There is a whole thread here somewhere about the "perfect" XR-5 climb to orbit. But that there will do it...

DutchPlayer

Reaction score
I think that you can use the scenario editor to strap on some velcro rockets.

Can I easily atach them to a vessel?

---------- Post added at 08:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 AM ----------

Well.....if you have read the manual for velcro rockets and still dont understand how it works, I recommend you look at some of the stacks made with it and look at how those lines are actually used and how they work.

As for the XR-5....burn, v1, rotate, v2....climb up at something like 70 degrees, get up and out of the thick air....

Then level out, at like 25km or so...maybe even 30km...

accelerate to Mach 3.5, open the SCRAM doors, full throttle on them, kill throttle on the mains, then adjust your pitch to maintain no more than 10kpa of dynamic pressure.

Once your SCRAMS are empty, or they have gotten too hot, kill throttle, close the doors. Pitch up to about 20 degrees, then full on the mains again until you hit your target ApA.

Thank you! :) I'll practise it!

orbitingpluto

Orbiteer
Reaction score
I think that you can use the scenario editor to strap on some velcro rockets.

Can I easily atach them to a vessel?

You can't use the scenario editor to easily attach bits from Velcro Rockets. You have to use the Universal Cargo Deck, which is a vessel(which does use the scenario editor to get at it's functions), and frankly doing things that way doesn't work so well. Spend some more time on with the Velcro manual, and do it the surprisingly easier way by editing strings by hand in notepad. You get more control over your rockets, and less fuss than trying to get a Universal Cargo Deck'ed one to do things like light the core and boosters simultaneously at launch.

Tell us at bit more about what you want to do Velcro Rockets. Somebody here might be able to help explain what you don't understand, provided you can tell us what you need help with. Ask for a specific how-to, more information on what a string does, or what ever else you don't get. Just don't say "I don't get it" without letting on what it is and expect someone to figure out how to teach you. You can ask for an introduction to how a scenario file is set up and what it's parts do, especially if you don't know what this "string" word I keep using means. If you don't know yet, don't worry, because I'm willing to help you learn.

Go ahead and ask away. Chances are somebody else might answer before me, but that's fine too.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
before you get ahead of yourself there,

Velcro rockets are not at all meant to be used like this. orbitingpluto is right on, I strongly recommend you do NOT go about putting a stack together with Universal Cargo Deck. You will greatly benefit from learning how to put the stack together by writing directly into the scenario file. There is a number of options available to you on how the various pieces of the stack work with each other...from how and when they jettison, how the fuel flows in between the various stages, when things light.

How I learned it was read the manual, and then look at example scenarios. Then trial and error. Lots of trial, and lots of error.

Last edited: