New Release XR2 Ravenstar 1.0 / XR1 1.5 / XR5 Vanguard 1.2 Released

Max Pain

Reaction score
Great vessel and GREAT Design

BTW Due to the manual the XR1 1.5 and XR5 1.2 will have turbopack support like the XR2. I don't know if it is the right place to ask here but are there any other significant changes planned?

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
From dbeachy1

Preliminary list of changes:

* The new heating algorithm that is currently in the XR2.

* Fixed CTD if particle streams disabled in the Orbiter launchpad.

* The XR1 will glide better.

* Updated VC HUD in the XR1 so it does not clip status messages.

* Fixed bug where APU fuel does not burn if the crew is incapacitated or dead.

* New config setting to optionally disable ship control if the pilot and copilot are not on board, incapacitated, or dead.

* Added 'Bay Doors' indicator to the XR5 HUD.

* Added keyboard shortcuts for engine gimbaling.

* Added config parameters to enable/disable each different type of voice callout.

* Added config parameter to set overall voice callout volume.

* Added code to prevent docking if the nosecone/docking doors are closed.

* Added turbopack support (deploy/stow) on the lower panel.

* Cosmetic: external resupply line pressures decrease rapidly when the lines are disconnected rather than dropping instantly to zero.

* Added code to not allow the APU to auto-disengage on a vessel switch if it is engaged by Attitude Hold.

* Added the new Altea Aerospace logo from Steve to 2D panels and the exterior hull.

* Added code to automatically vary the Vr and V1 takeoff callouts based on ship and payload mass.

* Payload manager hotkey moved from ALT-P to ALT-B to make room for SCRAM gimbal hotkeys. (XR5 only)

* Tweaked main, hover, retro, and RCS exhaust sizes on the XR5.

and :welcome:to you

Wraith

Reaction score
I think I just found a tiny bug: if you disable APU automatic shutdown via config file, leave the APU on and switch ships, the working APU sound won't be playing when you return to the XR2. Restarting the APU brings the sound back.

Tested on clean install: Orbiter core, then OrbiterSound 3.5 and UMMU 1.5, then XR2.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Thanks for the heads-up; however, technically that is an OrbiterSound bug: if a sound is playing and you switch to a different ship and then switch back, OrbiterSound does not resume playing the sound (this affects all vessels that use sounds that loop, not just XR vessels). In other words, sounds that are in progress are not remembered across a vessel switch. In theory it would be possible to program a workaround for that at the vessel DLL (i.e., XR code) level, but it would be messy; the real fix would be for that to be handled by OrbiterSound. Coding a workaround would be a lot of work for what is a minor bug, so unfortunately it won't be fixed anytime soon...

Wraith

Reaction score
technically that is an OrbiterSound bug
Oh, now I know why it looks so familiar! Now I remember seeing the very the same bug when I was hacking a rocket booster of my own design, when encountered the same thing: the sound stopped when switched vessels. I did the 'hackaround' though - just restarted the sound manually.

And just discovered another, well, "issue": You can safely open the cabin hatch and engage scramjets on planets without oxygen in the atmosphere:

Last edited:

AstroCam

Point loud end thataway
Donator
Reaction score
You could *probably* make a scramjet style engine on mars - it would have to actually be a large air-augmented rocket (Compressing and heating the atmosphere). Or it could involve lasers to heat the martian atmosphere that enters the engine

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
You could *probably* make a scramjet style engine on mars - it would have to actually be a large air-augmented rocket (Compressing and heating the atmosphere). Or it could involve lasers to heat the martian atmosphere that enters the engine
On the first suggestion, Mars only contains trace amounts of oxygen so you would need a very big scoop to be able to get enough to burn fuel. The second idea smacks of a water powered car - where does the energy to power the laser come from? Why not just use that energy and its associated mass to power a rocket directly?

AstroCam

Point loud end thataway
Donator
Reaction score
Fission reactor powering high powered solid state lasers?
Anyway, the ideas are not using the atmosphere to burn fuel, the motors a traditional rocket engine, the atmosphere entering a scoop is compressed by the vessels forward movement, and accelerated out the tailpipe due to the exhaust gas mixing with it.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
I don't think orbiter simulates contents of the athmosphere. It only has pressure and density.
Please correct me if I am wrong!

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I don't think orbiter simulates contents of the athmosphere. It only has pressure and density.
Please correct me if I am wrong!

TS is exactly correct: Orbiter does not model the content of an atmosphere. Only pressure (i.e., density) is modeled, and so SCRAMJET performance is tied to atmospheric pressure. Granted, I could easily "hard-code" the SCRAM engines to only work in Earth's atmosphere, but some users fly in custom solar systems as well. Therefore, it is up to the pilot to decide whether he wants to "cheat" or not by running the SCRAM engines on a planet that does not contain oxygen in its atmosphere.

streb2001

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Just a thought: how about a list of planets in the config that have O2 atmospheres? Then if a user wants to add Tatooine or Betazed then they can use the scrams there?

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
@Max Pain. I all ways help people out when I can :).
and what other XR craft are planned ?

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I think they said the next XR vessel is the XR7?
please correct me if i am wrong :)
There was both an XR7 and an XR0 preliminary design suggested, but no fixed order that I know of. The next one coming out should be the XR2-mkII.

-----Posted Added-----

Therefore, it is up to the pilot to decide whether he wants to "cheat" or not by running the SCRAM engines on a planet that does not contain oxygen in its atmosphere.
Or assume the cryo prop is a monopropellant that self ignites at a high dynamic pressure and something higher than room temperature. :)

Wraith

Reaction score
TS is exactly correct: Orbiter does not model the content of an atmosphere. Only pressure (i.e., density) is modeled, and so SCRAMJET performance is tied to atmospheric pressure. Granted, I could easily "hard-code" the SCRAM engines to only work in Earth's atmosphere, but some users fly in custom solar systems as well. Therefore, it is up to the pilot to decide whether he wants to "cheat" or not by running the SCRAM engines on a planet that does not contain oxygen in its atmosphere.
Maybe you could make a config option for this? I.e. a list of planet names that are considered to have oxygen and if its safe to open hatches and airlocks. You could even add the oxygen percentage as a parameter so that would result in different scramjet performance on different planets.

James.Denholm

Addon ponderer
Reaction score
Wow! She's a beautiful ship, the first thing I did was take her up to the Moon and back, and this marks the first time I've done that with any ship. Though I nearly ran out of fuel twice. :lol:

But, I've found a quite interesting bug!

Load attached scenario, pause immediatley, zoom as far as you want out (I'm guessing far enough so that the Orbiter core dosen't render the mesh anymore), zoom back in, and the XR2 will look like it's in the middle of re-entry, clearly visible from the XYZth image attached (the second image shows the hull wasn't hot at all). Un-pausing fixes the bug, untill you pause and zoom out again.

Other than that, well done indeed!

Attachments

• 08.10.17 11-57-16 XR2-01.jpg
    08.10.17 11-57-16 XR2-01.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 08.10.17 11-57-25 XR2-01.jpg
    08.10.17 11-57-25 XR2-01.jpg
    627.7 KB · Views: 35
  • XR2 - Moon 0017 0001 0001 0004 0005 0005 0001 0001 0003 0009 0005 0003 0006 0005 0015 0005.scn
    6.3 KB · Views: 4

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Actually, what you are seeing is normal: that occurs simply because the simulation is paused before the first frame is rendered by the XR2 code, and therefore the code did not have a chance to vary the heating mesh yet. Each frame the XR2 code varies the transparency of the heating mesh (or hides it entirely). When the model is first loaded, however, all meshes are initialized normally and so the heating mesh is fully opaque. As soon as the first frame is rendered, however, the heating mesh is hidden.

Cairan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Shame on me... Some requests...

Put me in front of the firing squad, put I've got some requests for the XR-familly... These are after having taken the ships thru their paces... ;)

- The hull should have a "crush pressure", because it doesn't seem right to be able to take the XR2 all the way to the surface of Venus, without collapsing. This would be based on the differential pressure between internal (101 kPa) and the atmospheric pressure...

- When the efficiency of the engines drops to 0, or near that value, the Master Warning light should go on, and warn us that the engines are inoperative. We shouldn't be able to ignite the engines either...

- For the radiator, the coolant temperature needs to go up when the external temperature is above the coolant temperature and the radiator is deployed.

- It would be nice to be able to bring payload bay tanks of APU fuel and/or coolant. For example, when gliding in the atmosphere of Titan or Venus, it would be cool to have extra APU fuel, or to have extra coolant which would reduce the heating (and cooling...) rate of the fluid.

- By default, an XR-1, XR-2 and XR-5 should have only the pilot and copilot in the cabin instead of a full complement. It's really sad to have to leave a pile of people on the runway... But that's just me. :p

That's about it, I won't loose any sleep if they never make the cut one day, it's just some food for thought.

On a side note, I've managed with the DGIV payload tutorial to modify the MKSAT and bring it up on the XR-2 instead of the Hab module. I'll add the relevant lines later tonight in this post.

Thanks guys for the ships! Great work.