Project XR2 Ravenstar - Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemoricus

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It's a minor thing, so I'm not going to worry about it.

I did discover a bug, though. It seems that if cross-feed Main is engaged while the RCS fuel is being dumped, the XR5 does not correctly read that the tank is empty and end the dump lights and warning callouts. I'll check this a bit more, see if it happens with any other XR vessels.

EDIT: You can also initiate a fuel dump if any of the tanks are empty. It also will not stop.

EDIT2: The exact series of steps to recreate the first bug is:

1. Engage fuel dumps in both RCS and Main fuel tanks.

2. Engage RCS X-Feed mode.

3. When Main fuel is depleted, engage Main X-Feed mode.

4. Initiate Main fuel dump. Repeat every time the tank empties.

The RCS dump sounds, lights, and warning callouts will not stop when the RCS tank finally depletes.

Both bugs are also seen in the XR2. I'm now going to check the XR1.

EDIT3: Both bugs are common to all XR vessels. The RCS fuel dump remaining active occurs when both Main X-Feed and RCS fuel dump are active at the same time.

Last edited:

Jer95

Surface base designer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
When the gear fails, and sinking at low alt, it says gear is up so it tells me to put the gear down but it faled
74830564.png

And it would be better if it says "All ravenstar systems nominal" instead of "All systems nominal

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
And it would be better if it says "All ravenstar systems nominal" instead of "All systems nominal
Don't forget Doug created all these vessels with a common codebase and paid his own money to have Sally (the voice actress) do the callouts. You may replace them with your own, but generic is less expensive on many levels.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
When the gear fails, and sinking at low alt, it says gear is up so it tells me to put the gear down but it faled

That is no bug, that is pure common sense.
Say your gear brakes 10 minutes before actualy aproaching the landing site. By the time you get there, you might have already forgotten. This warning reminds you that your gear is not in landing position, regardless of wethere it can be achieved or not.

Nemoricus

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The XR2 Ravenstar can't be refueled through the scenario editor. I haven't checked the other XR vessels, but this is an annoying problem.

Wolfer

Miniature Giant Space Hamster
Reaction score
The XR2 Ravenstar can't be refueled through the scenario editor. I haven't checked the other XR vessels, but this is an annoying problem.
The other XR vessels also have this problem. Plus I think it's not possible to fuel them using Fuel MFD.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Don't they have their own onboard refueling systems?

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
I think this quote from the config file should clear it up. This has also been answered several times on the forum...

Code:
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Enable or disable Orbiter's default auto-refueling behavior (i.e., when
# touching down on a landing pad.)  
#
# You should set this value to 1 (Orbiter auto-refueling enabled) only if you
# want to use an external refueling MFD (such as FuelMFD), or if you want Orbiter
# to automatically and instantly refuel you when you touch down on a landing pad.
#
# If you will only be using the XR2's built-in refueling features, leave
# this value set to its default of 0 (Orbiter auto-refueling disabled).
#
#   0 = Orbiter auto-refueling disabled (recommended)
#   1 = Orbiter auto-refueling enabled
OrbiterAutoRefuelingEnabled=0

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Yes, but if you want to transfer fuel from another vessel (say from a DGIV), you can't.

If you set the value to 1 you can use FuelMFD for that. Be aware that your vessel will be automaticaly refueled by orbiter when landing on a pad.

I personaly never had a problem with refueling from other vessels. Maybe something is messed up with this setting:

Code:
# Define refueling / LOX (Liquid Oxygen) resupply settings.  
#
# 'AllowGroundResupply' applies to all planets and moons.
# 'AllowDockResupply' applies to all vessels to which you may dock.
# 'AllowEarthOnlyResupply' specifies which tanks (if any) may be resupplied ONLY while landed on Earth.
#
# Valid options are:
#   main = refuel MAIN tanks
#   scram = refuel SCRAM tanks
#   apu = refuel APU tanks
#   lox = replenish LOX tanks
#
# A value may be empty as well, preventing refueling at all; e.g.,
#
#    AllowGroundResupply = 
#
# ...would prevent ground refueling of any tank.
#
# By default, you may resupply main fuel, LOX, and APU fuel while landed or docked anywhere, but you may only 
# resupply SCRAM fuel while landed on Earth.
AllowGroundResupply = main,lox,apu
AllowDockResupply = main,lox,apu
AllowEarthOnlyResupply = scram

Nemoricus

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I just did a quick test with the Delta Glider IV and found that it allows the scenario editor to refuel it while still not allowing Orbiter to automatically refuel it at a landing pad.

Is it possible to add this behavior to the XR vessels? There are times when that would be useful.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I have a "todo" item for that for the upcoming patch release. Stay tuned...

Nemoricus

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ah, wonderful. I look forward to seeing later versions.

Usquanigo

Reaction score
Website
uk.groups.yahoo.com
I don't see a problem with the fueling behavior at all. One just has to tweak the config file to suit them, and then appreciate the challenge that may (or may not) remain.

I'd vote for NOT changing that aspect dbeachy. It's part of what makes the XR series cool. :cheers:

Tommy

Reaction score
Actually, there's a sneaky way to refuel an XR-2 or XR-5 using the payload editor. Simply add a fuel cargo, it will immediately drain into your main tank. Then delete and recreate the cargo repeatedly until full.

Jer95

Surface base designer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Based on this post on the topic DeltaGlider-XR1 1.22 Released in m6
Dead crew members do not occupy a seat on the ship; if a crew member is dead he/she does not show up on the crew display at all.

Does that mean the XR series have an automatic crew burial system?

willy88

Tinkerer
Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
Based on this post on the topic DeltaGlider-XR1 1.22 Released in m6

Does that mean the XR series have an automatic crew burial system?

The remaining crewmembers airlock the dead ones. :p

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
When designing the ship, making it green was very important. In fact, it was made so green that a small plant to produce soylent green is built in every ship.

Usquanigo

Reaction score
Website
uk.groups.yahoo.com
Actually, there's a sneaky way to refuel an XR-2 or XR-5 using the payload editor. Simply add a fuel cargo, it will immediately drain into your main tank. Then delete and recreate the cargo repeatedly until full.

Why would you even look to try something like that? Why not just use unlimited fuel? Or tweak it for even more thrust and lower fuel consumption if it's not already magic powered enough for you.

I've actually tweaked it down to make it behave like it looks (ie, reasonably realistic and near-ish future tech). It's a lot more fun. Constantly refueling it or trying to fly it out to Jupiter is just way too over the top. (IMNSHO)

The challenge of these craft has always been part of the direction of their creation (IIRC), so it would really be a shame to see that taken away.

Tommy

Reaction score
Why would you even look to try something like that? Why not just use unlimited fuel? Or tweak it for even more thrust and lower fuel consumption if it's not already magic powered enough for you.

Some people may not want unlimited or super fuel as they don't want to take all the challenge out, but find themselves without enough to de-orbit? Who cares why.

There have always been ways around this - spawn a vessel docked to an XR2 and transfer fuel from it, etc.

The XR-Series isn't realistic for Interplanetary travel, but until there are vessels of the XR's quality that are realistc come out, sometimes it's easier to magic up a few gallons of fuel for one unusually long flight, than to bother editing the config file for EVERY XR in any other scenario I fly.

Some people just want to have fun, but are bored of ships that let you re-enter at insane velocities, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.