Project XR2 Ravenstar - Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jer95

Surface base designer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Doug can you put ejection on the XR 2, because if the nose cone fails, there is no way to bail out

Usquanigo

Reaction score
Website
uk.groups.yahoo.com
Doug can you put ejection on the XR 2, because if the nose cone fails, there is no way to bail out

I don't mean, or wish, to try to speak for him, but I think I recall him saying before that there was not, and would not be, an ejection system on there because there was no way to eject all the passengers. That this owuld be treated more like a jet-liner or so, if it's going down, you're all going down together - so don't let it happen. ;)

Nemoricus

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've read this entire thread, and ejection is one of those things that has come up time and time again. The answer every time has been "No."

Part of the reasoning is that in most of the XR vessel's operating environment, ejection would likely be fatal. It just simply wouldn't be practical to have a system in place to do so.

Nemoricus

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hmm....under the right conditions you can save them. However, there aren't very many windows of opportunity. Low altitude atmospheric flight, below supersonic speeds, is one of them. If you're quick, you could also save the crew at certain altitudes and low enough overall speed above the Moon's surface with the turbo packs. That one's tricky, though.

Dambuster

Reaction score
Ignoring all practical concerns, ejection is just one hell of a blast :p

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
But i want to save the crew and not let it die, :(

Given what has been said about the operating environment of the XR vessels, your best chance for saving the crew is to keep them within the vessel and use the superior thermal and life support qualities that it offers to make it through re-entry or some trans-Earth injection burn/coast. Additionally, you can always land the XR vessels without landing gear, though that gets a little tricky with the XR5. In short, no need to eject from the vessel at just about any point. :)

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
Hey all. Hope you're still enjoying the ship... The number of downloads of the craft has completely blown Doug and myself away. You might like to know that there will be a scale model of the XR2 available in the near future, in 1:188 scale - approx 130 x 110 x 50mm in length, width & height.

It will replicate all the parts of the Orbiter model with separate landing gear, cargo bay doors, interior, radiators, crew, etc..., the whole entire thing as a kit that can be assembled painted, displayed and enjoyed whether on earth or in freefall. Development is already underway, Here's a pic of the work so far. I will keep you all updated on its progress.

Attachments

• XR2 scale model copy.jpg
    XR2 scale model copy.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 245

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
...Woah, Coolhand. That's awesome.

But you can't possibly be serious...

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
That will be quite awesome!

What materials will be used? What price are you aiming for? Too early to tell?

halcyon

Reaction score
As cool as that is, I'm still eager to find out if the MkII will be here before the new year, or are you planning 2010?

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
...Woah, Coolhand. That's awesome.

But you can't possibly be serious...

I've worked professionally on miniatures for many years, among other things, and yes i am very serious when i say it won't long before you can have one of these sitting on your desk.:)

TSpenguin said:
That will be quite awesome!

What materials will be used? What price are you aiming for? Too early to tell?

It'll be somewhere around 30-40 US$ and thats including worldwide shipping. Material will be a tough plastic, though other materials are available to use - including even stainless steel.

Halcyon, hard to say, most of my work on the MK2 is done.

Ghostrider, so you want a version with a model rocket mount?;)

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've worked professionally on miniatures for many years, among other things, and yes i am very serious when i say it won't long before you can have one of these sitting on your desk.:)

I'm utterly speechless, Coolhand. That is awesome :speakcool:.

Tommy

Reaction score
it won't long before you can have one of these sitting on your desk.
In time for Christmas would be a good marketing move, methinks. Now I just have to decide who I can get to buy me that for a present!

doggie015

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
wow.... Looking forward to this! And the MKII XR2!

Status
Not open for further replies.