Project XR2 Ravenstar - Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
i would LOVE to see a XR2 varient that has a re-entry capable ejection capsule (ala F-111)

Hmmm... Cool idea, but I think it would be impractical both in real life and to code.

The PD engine on the XR0 - donuts on a rope contrails?
Could that be simulated by a thin smokestream with timed large "puffs"?

@Coolhand
What about making the XR0 concept with two seats, tandem?

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
first of all, no, for the nth time, there will be no ejection mechanism in the XR2.

glad we've got that out of the way. again.

I like the nose cone fold. Maybe that could be a hatch that allows crew transfer form the XR2 to the craft in the bay?

The geometry of the bay and the ship means thats not an option.

It will not be a tandem either at this point but there should be room for perhaps 4 passengers behind the pilot.

-----Post Added-----

Anyway - will the XR0 be made?

i would say the chances are good, but it's not entirely up to me either.

Any ETAs on its release and the full completeion of the XR2?

no, most of my work on that is finished, the rest is mostly up to Doug to make the changes in the code and make the pit work. but i've yet to send him a fully completed sanitised version of the model... i've no idea what his schedule is either.

The PD engine on the XR0 - donuts on a rope contrails?

thats how the primative prototypes in Aurora work, whether these will produce a more efficient looking contrail, thats yet to be seen.

Finally, with the XR2 repaint kit, can you add a generic smoke/dirt layer in the same fashion as the DGIV repaint kit?

Now if i did all that you'd never learn anything eh?;) There might be some grunge layers in the mk's paintkit, perhaps.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It will not be a tandem either at this point but there should be room for perhaps 4 passengers behind the pilot.

Wow, that's as many passengers as the XR1.
I'm guessing it manages smallerness by having less fuel and thus less range.

The geometry of the bay and the ship means thats not an option.

Darn. Will it have a docking port?

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
Wow, that's as many passengers as the XR1.
I'm guessing it manages smallerness by having less fuel and thus less range.
yes, It would be unreasonable to expect it to have earths surface to lunar surface range like the xr2.

Darn. Will it have a docking port?

of course, see how it's oriented in the xr2s bay? you've clearly missed some of the images i've posted...

Attachments

• XR0_12.jpg
    XR0_12.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 131

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
of course, see how it's oriented in the xr2s bay? you've clearly missed some of the images i've posted...
The docking port is in the back, interesting.

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
It's not uncommon, kliper used a similar design, and its really the only place it could go...

moving on, here's a cutaway... testing the design with lee because he's pretty tall... the seat slides back for access and there's room for a pilot to slip around the side. Since the pressure vessel is small it's difficult to fit side by side seating with an aisle. i might instead try and stagger them somehow.

Attachments

• XR0_13.jpg
    XR0_13.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 160

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Not a lot of room in that shell for consumables and the like. Can we expect that all that will be stored in the pods on the upper surface of the vessel? If that's the case, I can't imagine this thing will fly in Earth's atmosphere any time soon, or at least make it to orbit. I have to imagine its intended use would be for thin atmospheres and atmosphere-less bodies?

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wow, that is small. Maybe passengers will have to resort of climbing over the seats.

Now thinking of Kliper (and Hermes, and the early CEV proposals), the rear facing docking port makes sense. Just thinking of it coming from DG heritage, with the XR1 and XR2 having the docking port of the nose, which wouldn't be practical in reality at all.

Stripe

Reaction score
Darn! - everytime I see this thread has been bumped, I get my hopes up thinking 'the MK2!!!' I come in here with childlike optimism and realise that no, 'not yet...' Curses! :lol:

Coincidentally, regarding AstroCam's comment regarding the F-111 cockpit. I was thinking the other day that the 'front view' of a XR2 cockpit does somewhat resemble that of a F-111
http://www.aerospaceweb.org/aircraft/bomber/f111/f111_03.jpg

While comparing it to the 'almost' front view in Coolhand's sig, the cockpit looks more 'shuttle' like. But this was just a recent thought I had and not to be intended as a nitpick or anything :)

Fantastic design, love the SR71 look as well. How about we all club together, and mail order Doug a year's supply of Espresso coffee to help those late night coding sessions :lol: ?

Last edited:

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
Darn! - everytime I see this thread has been bumped, I get my hopes up thinking 'the MK2!!!' I come in here with childlike optimism and realise that no, 'not yet...' Curses! :lol:

Coincidentally, regarding AstroCam's comment regarding the F-111 cockpit. I was thinking the other day that the 'front view' of a XR2 cockpit does somewhat resemble that of a F-111
http://www.aerospaceweb.org/aircraft/bomber/f111/f111_03.jpg

While comparing it to the 'almost' front view in Coolhand's sig, the cockpit looks more 'shuttle' like. But this was just a recent thought I had and not to be intended as a nitpick or anything :)

Fantastic design, love the SR71 look as well. How about we all club together, and mail order Doug a year's supply of Espresso coffee to help those late night coding sessions :lol: ?

don't forget there are 2 types of canopy/windscreen, the old style probably looks more closely related to the f111, the new style is more like the wraparound windscreens of the B1 and B2.... I reference many different designs to see how things are done and add an authentic look to the model.

btw, If you're looking to send any fluids my way, then vodka would be appreciated... Project donations so far wouldn't even score either of us a jar of instant decaff. travel size.

-----Post Added-----

Not a lot of room in that shell for consumables and the like. Can we expect that all that will be stored in the pods on the upper surface of the vessel? If that's the case, I can't imagine this thing will fly in Earth's atmosphere any time soon, or at least make it to orbit. I have to imagine its intended use would be for thin atmospheres and atmosphere-less bodies?

It uses the same fictional propulsion and fuel as the other XR's, It has just enough capacity. Also, there's actually a lot more room for fuel than it looks in that pic.

I've added a couple of xray pics... main tanks are marked in red...

Attachments

• XR0_14.jpg
    XR0_14.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 168
  • XR0_15.jpg
    XR0_15.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 139

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
ok, new intakes - i decided they weren't doing much good down on the sides. The landing gear has been roughed out and the i've started putting the rcs motors in place.

Attachments

• XR0_16.jpg
    XR0_16.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 122
  • XR0_17.jpg
    XR0_17.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 141
  • XR0_18.jpg
    XR0_18.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 126

AstroCam

Point loud end thataway
Donator
Reaction score
*drooling*

About the ejection kit... aw well, many a failed re-entry into water has resulted in my bailing out of the nose airlock in the XR2 - perhaps coding the ability to bailout of the entry hatch in the atmosphere?

Looking good man, looking good.

willy88

Tinkerer
Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
*drooling*

About the ejection kit... aw well, many a failed re-entry into water has resulted in my bailing out of the nose airlock in the XR2 - perhaps coding the ability to bailout of the entry hatch in the atmosphere?

Looking good man, looking good.

That reminds me- perhaps Doug could somehow code in emergency air cushions, for water (crash) landings or otherwise.

Like this:

3697.jpg

AstroCam

Point loud end thataway
Donator
Reaction score
That would be a cool feature - but maybe ejecting the ummu crew members out the airlock with self inflating life rafts would%

Last edited:

doggie015

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Whoa... the XR0 looks like the PERFECT bailout solution for the XR2 I cannot wait to fly that thing! :speakcool:

Who knows... it may give me an idea for my next project maybe

James.Denholm

Addon ponderer
Reaction score
The only problem is, doggie015, is that it sure ain't going to carry everyone on a full XR2, and you have to be carrying it in the first place - chances are, you'll have the CHM and fuel in it's place.

However, it could make those KSC -> WIN time trials exponentially more interesting...

doggie015

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The only problem is, doggie015, is that it sure ain't going to carry everyone on a full XR2, and you have to be carrying it in the first place - chances are, you'll have the CHM and fuel in it's place.
True; but maybe this has potential to be used alongside the XR5... How many people can the XR5 carry and how many cargo bay slots will the required amount of XR0's take up?

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think a better idea for an XR2/XR5 escape craft would be like a giant Paracone, inflatable, like a liferaft.

doggie015

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
*cough* [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3732"]UMmu reentry pack[/ame] *cough*

DarkWanderer

Orbiter Contributor
Donator
Reaction score
Just a random thought: how about implementing more complex heat logic?
E.g.:
- Heat should be taken away when flying in atmosphere (or taken in if it's +60 around) - for atmo flights
- Engines working should dissipate quite much heat (that is, running 100% thrust in space for long time isn't a good idea with stock radiator)
- Heat dissipation ratio should depend on temp (+80 coolant temperature (343K) and +20 (293K) are different things - almost 22%)
- If possible - heating by sun (going to mercury orbit isn't a good idea)
- Maybe, possibility of coolant flush?..

I'll dig in into equations when i'd have time.

Status
Not open for further replies.