Project XR2 Ravenstar - Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
someone was selling kits or plans for a flying paper or balsa model, which was not something that i liked and i would hate to see someone else profiting from my work,

RCPowers.com?
Or was it NuttyPro67? He does 'work' for RCPowers.com. He came on the forums a while ago to try to create a VTOL XR-2. I never thought he'd succeed. Foamies usually fly worse then the real planes and I have my doubts that the XR2 would fly as is.

NuttyPro67

Reaction score
RCPowers.com?
Or was it NuttyPro67? He does 'work' for RCPowers.com. He came on the forums a while ago to try to create a VTOL XR-2. I never thought he'd succeed. Foamies usually fly worse then the real planes and I have my doubts that the XR2 would fly as is.

I had wanted to make the R/C XR-2 into a series of youtube shows, as a vtol design it would've been way too complex to sell but would've worked nicely as youtube content to give Coolhand's talent some exposure and drum up traffic for RCPowers. After I built and flew the prototypes I PMed Coolhand about the idea, he didn't seem to be onboard so I stopped the project before releasing anything and moved on. :salute:

Two flying prototypes where built of the R/C XR-2 that actually performed very well. The first one was a "proof of concept" to find the airframe's natural center of gravity and performance numbers to work off of. The second one had dual motors with thrust vectoring and crazy performance, kind of a shame I had to ditch the project. I never released, much less sold, any content relating to the XR-2 based designs I built and flew or even anything loosely related to it. Infact this is the first time I've publicly displayed the photos attached.

Just so everyone is clear here, RCPowers.com and I never released or profited from content of any kind relating to the XR-2 or anything resembling the XR-2. Once CoolHand let me know that he didn't approve the project was abandoned.

Attachments

• p1.JPG
    p1.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 147
  • p2a.JPG
    p2a.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 178
  • p2b.JPG
    p2b.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 165
  • p2c.JPG
    p2c.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
a real flying XR2? that would definatley be a big hit on the Ravenstore

of course, if coolhand doesnt want it done, you were right to abandon it, we dont want to make a lawsuit out of orbiter.

but it would definatley be nice for some youtube vids

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
an idea i just had was that the information you gathered from the "foamies" might help to code more realistic flight data into the MK2; theres nothing like some real-world testing to give realistic E-models

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
an idea i just had was that the information you gathered from the "foamies" might help to code more realistic flight data into the MK2; theres nothing like some real-world testing to give realistic E-models

No. Not a chance.

Flat foamies usually don't fly, they float. You'll see quite a lot of times that foamies fly at quite a high angle of attack (~ 10°) even in straight flight and get a significant portion of their lift from the engine's thrust deflected downwards.

Even if you'd create exactly the shape of an XR2, you'd still need to test it at same mach and Raynolds numbers, in order to gain any useful data from them.

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
Nutty Pro, please let me first apologise, I had not intended for anyone to 'out' you or name names etc (you're not the only one and i deal with this sort of thing all the time - not necessarily XR2 related i guess at least your company gets a nice plug though...;))

I had asked for Risingfury's post to be removed, bad Risingfury, bad.:lol: or at least edited because i knew just this sort of thing was coming, but that for whatever reason did not happen.

It was just an example of the added baggage that something like this brings with it, adding to the stress in my life. Ultimately though you should have asked permission *before* beginning something like that... And clear it with both Doug and myself - it might have been possible to do this as a licensing arrangement for example. But obviously if the first thing i know about it is a prototype, and you're apparently representing a business, then of course i'm not going to be happy about that...

I appreciate and respect you for respecting my wishes and not making things difficult, but i really don't know who is selling what, and where.. The advantage for me in a sense is that if you really wanted to sell it, its to the orbiter community which means that if someone is selling XR2 merchandise then I'm bound to hear about it sooner or later.

That said, it would have been nice to have a flyable model of it, And i'm not against that type of product, but i have to protect my work not saying its completely impossible to do but something needs to be worked out... I would invite you to send me pm if you wanted to talk about that further.

RaR76

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Not sure where this discussion is going, but Coolhand, nice work sir! Looking forward to the XR2 MK2!

Status
Not open for further replies.