OHM XR271

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: dutchpirate

After a VERY long hiatus, I am rediscovering the joys of Orbiter, especially the XR-2.  I made this skin some time ago, but I don't think I ever posted it anywhere.  I love all the stealth skins, but this tries to capture the look of that venerable spy bird, the SR-71.  I remember very well how hard it was to apply all the red line decals when I built the model a LOONG time ago, thankfully, it's much easier than that now!.

DOWNLOAD

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Very, VERY cool!! Awesome skin, been waiting on someone to do the XR2 in SR-71 livery. Many thanks!

dutchpirate

XR Fleet Skin Designer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks, Penny. Coming from you that is very high praise. Are the exhaust trails on your skins stock, or did you tweak those?

PennyBlack

Altea Development Team
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
pennyblack.yolasite.com
They are stock, if you mean the smoke from the exhaust. I only tatted with the top skin on the XR2. A nice deep red thrust flame would look great with your skin.

PennyBlack

Altea Development Team
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
pennyblack.yolasite.com
I use Paint Shop Pro 8 and convert to dds useing DDS Converter 2. Paint Shop is the only package I use for the skin useing multy rasters, which I recently learnt I could name. Believe me, I get into an awful mess with raster 1, raster 2,3,4,5... I can be very stupid at times.
The XR5 top skins didn't go with the bottom skin and the colour match was out. The topskin had elements of the bottom skin that also didn't match so I've basically had to rethink it. But it's the first combo skinning I've done so next time I will think ahead more. Hense an inconvienience.
:facepalm:

I see by your skin releases, you a dab hand at skinning. Impressive collection :tiphat:

dutchpirate

XR Fleet Skin Designer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've always found the XR-5 to be a particular challenge as well. I'm happiest the UPS skin, but I find that the scale of the craft works against me by causing odd wraps especially with logos/text. I'm using GIMP myself, I spent a lot of time 'tracing' details into separate layers so that I can more easily alter specific details and then blend them all at the end.