Project XR3 Phoenix (WIP)

Keatah

Reaction score
I was just thinking of the adaptive parameters, stuff that would be specific to characteristics of the individual drive. But it's good that you recognize your limits and know when to hire a professional operation.

Many people I know start playing with SpinRite and other software. They proceed to break a disk even more and make it 5X worse.

Good to see you got some keydrives to act as off-line isolated backup.

Myself? I like usb externals. And I tend to buy them in pairs. One to be used daily, and the other to be synced whenever I feel like it.

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 PM ----------

Sounds expensive

It can be. A simple logical recovery could be a $100-$200 job: this means corrupt NTFS metafiles, or small virus attack, or bad partition info, or simple un-delete operations using freeware. Crap like that.

Heads and motors and pre-amps in conjunction with scratched platters and some logical recovery and reconstruction thrown in for good measure can net you a $2,000 invoice. If you want forensics grade work, now tack on a few thousand more.

---------- Post added 06-09-13 at 01:44 AM ---------- Previous post was 06-08-13 at 05:56 PM ----------

While I (we) have extensive lab equipment and parts suppliers and all that good stuff - I've found that backups and preparing people for "disaster" prevention is far more rewarding. Though less technically challenging.

Anyways, I've said it before and I say it again. With backups YOU become your own Sunday Morning technician.

I'm done, and there will be no further posts regarding backups & data recovery from me in this thread. It must remain XR3 on topic.

Last edited:

PennyBlack

Altea Development Team
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
pennyblack.yolasite.com
Many times losses (without backups) like this are enough to kill a project or set it back significantly.

I remember to well, those problems. I backup the files I work on 16 gig flash drive every time I close down the PC. And when I go round to test my mesh and tex work in Orbiter on my brothers machine, I always drop copies of it all on his drive, just in case I lose the pendrive or my machine throws a shoe. The stuff, orginals I have lost... not worth dwelling over really, but it's a lesson I don't intend to learn again.

All the best Loru

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Update:

Since 3 of 4 HDDs are unrecovereble without giant cost of replacing write/read heads I've decided to resume work on XR3 using february backup.

- Small fixes in top hull to remove shading artifacts
- Top hull and all movable elements sharing same texture UVW unwrapped with lightmap already rendered.
- Altea Logo vectorized to allow more flexibility in texture design.
- changes to bottom hull as crew access ramp now will be behind front gear (single airlock instead of 2 separate ones)

---------- Post added at 05:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

Recreating cargo bay from scratch:

Red section is a single internal airlock chamber for APAS, EVA hatch and bottom crew access hatch.

cbay07.jpg

Last edited:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hmmm- retro engines holded me for a long time - I didn't have idea how to make them to look good enough to incorporate them into the craft. After 7 failed attempts I managed to finally create them.

retros2.jpg

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Update:

- Tunel to cargo bay (for CHM module)
- Airlock (for EVA - hatch inside cargo bay, ground EVA - hatch below the craft and Docking port)
- Crew compartment

xr3-crew-section2.jpg

---------- Post added at 05:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 PM ----------

And tunel to cargo bay (not airlock - it's used only for CHM / Spacelab module)

xr3-crew-section3.jpg

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:57 PM ----------

And airlock section with side hatch

xr3-airlock6a.jpg

Keatah

Reaction score
So much potential to make a party bus here!

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I must say new XR5 color scheme looks pretty good on Phoenix too.

xr3-colortest.jpg

---------- Post added at 04:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

Maybe it won't be as easy to repaint as XR2/5 but I think that will not be a problem

top_fuse.jpg

PennyBlack

Altea Development Team
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
pennyblack.yolasite.com
Maybe it won't be as easy to repaint as XR2/5 but I think that will not be a problem.

I must have spent ages looking at the mapped image you've displayed.

The XR3 with the XR5 and Altea's colour scheme is looking real cool Loru. The decal of the burning Phoenix on the vertical wings is impressive and I have enjoyed the way you illistrate, especially the party lounge. I'll have to bring a bottle or maybe a crate on her maiden voyage. :thumbup:

Exellent progress :tiphat:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Going for a walk:

XR3-Hatch01.jpg

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Hmmm.... :hmm:

if you would also rotate the top part of the door downwards, you could have a simple EVA ladder that could be used after landing or for accessing the underside of the vehicle (something that was only possible in the Space Shuttle by removing the ladder from the crew compartment).

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hmmm.... :hmm:

if you would also rotate the top part of the door downwards, you could have a simple EVA ladder that could be used after landing or for accessing the underside of the vehicle (something that was only possible in the Space Shuttle by removing the ladder from the crew compartment).

Directly behind UMMU's leg you can see fragment of dark teal bottom access hatch used for planetary EVA's

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Directly behind UMMU's leg you can see fragment of dark teal bottom access hatch used for planetary EVA's

Oh, OK, didn't know about that feature.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
No pic today but significant progress.

UVW mapped and textured lots of internal systems like retros, hovers, flaps, radiators, scrams, gear bays, retro and hover bays. Also reduced meshgroup count by 20% already and I estimate another drop when interior is ready.

Current polycount is 30 000 and currently I'm using 3 big (2048) and one small (256) textures.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Docking port part of airlock meshed - Docking port cover door cut out from fuselage, extruded and equiped with opening mechanism similar you se in buses (to keep minimize obstacles during docking)

dp01.jpg

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Docking port part of airlock meshed - Docking port cover door cut out from fuselage, extruded and equiped with opening mechanism similar you se in buses (to keep minimize obstacles during docking)

dp01.jpg

Just out of curiosity, why not place it in the payload bay like the Space Shuttle & save the trouble of adding another moving part?

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, why not place it in the payload bay like the Space Shuttle & save the trouble of adding another moving part?

That was first idea however because it's just few moving parts and nice animation we decided to do it that way.

Also this way airlock is bigger (taller) allowing easier suit change. Despite "bulky" look the craft is actually pretty flat and there is limited room inside.

And it's not the Shuttle. :p

Here is narrow angle showing that:
flatness.jpg

---------- Post added 10-19-13 at 11:01 AM ---------- Previous post was 10-18-13 at 10:27 PM ----------

With new cargo bay trench I increased maximum cylindrical payload diameter from 3.6 to 3.8 meters (9 meters long).

XR3cargo03.jpg

XR3cargo02.jpg

Last edited:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Small update:

Landing gear has been UVW unwrapped & textured. I managed to fit UVW on existing textures.

Current stats:
75 meshgroups
27078 vertices
30381 polys (triangle)

3 x 2048x2048 texture
1 x 128x128 texture

---------- Post added at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 AM ----------

Cargo bay has been UVW mapped. No new textures used (fitted on bottom fuselage texture)

XR3-cargobay1.jpg

---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

Things to do:

- Cargo bay door re-mesh (I managed to break it somehow)
- Interior
- Proper textures
- Crew
- Thruster placement (SC3)
- Animations (SC3)

Last edited: