Project XR3 Phoenix (WIP)

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar
Few questions

The XR3 is perfect for space tourism or passenger transport aerospace service. If one day you launch a repaint-pack, I would make a skin of some airborne company.

How many hours per day do you spend working in this project?,

Is there more than one developer?

Great design (wish existed in real life).
Greetings:tiphat:.

Sorry for my bad english, I use Google Translator.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The XR3 is perfect for space tourism or passenger transport aerospace service. If one day you launch a repaint-pack, I would make a skin of some airborne company.

How many hours per day do you spend working in this project?,

Is there more than one developer?

Great design (wish existed in real life).
Greetings:tiphat:.

Sorry for my bad english, I use Google Translator.

Rudimentary top hull paintkit probably will be included in release.

I usually work in 2-3 few day bursts for 5-6 hours, then leave it for a week or so I can look at my work cold headed.

As for developing - I'm making mesh and dbeachy1 will code the vessel.

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 AM ----------

Progress report:

Animations:
- hover doors
- airbrake
- rudder
- elevators

Thrusters:
-hovers
-retros

Last edited:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Mesh has been sent to coding

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
:jiggy:

How long do you think it will take before testing begins?

till Tuesday.

No really, it will take some time. The transition from 2d to 3d cockpits is tricky, and DBeachy will want to write generalized code for future XR VCs as well. Dont be disappointed if it takes several weeks or months. It will be ready soon enough. :thumbup:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Dev news:

All thrusters' positions and axes has been determined
All animations (internal and external) are completed
PennyBlack joined the team as texture master

That leaves me with designing 2 CHM modules (long and short duration), finishing the crew (that unfortunatelly I have to make from scratch).

Today I'll probably spend on grabbing alll coordinates for VC clickable areas.

And I started working on crew:

fem_crew01.jpg

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Chin needs to be longer and her 'ears' bigger. ;)

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I wasn't using this pic as reference to mesh face :p

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Looks like there's room for 1-3-1 or even 2-2-2 seating. Have to maximize that revenue. :thumbup:

Looking awesome!

2-2-2 would be more passenger friendly. No one would be stuck in the middle of the row like they would in a 1-3-1, and you have a higher passenger density.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Looks like there's room for 1-3-1 or even 2-2-2 seating. Have to maximize that revenue. :thumbup:

Looking awesome!

2-2-2 would be more passenger friendly. No one would be stuck in the middle of the row like they would in a 1-3-1, and you have a higher passenger density.

While more seats is understendable in airliner (where you're 10-16 hour), it is not in spacecraft (where you're for few days/weeks)

Keep in mind that mesh has been sent to coding already . Every change in the mesh now would result in tedious remaking all the animations as meshgroup arangement would change (same with lightmaps etc).

Last edited:

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I've always likened the extra seats in an XR-vessel to be "stow and go" like in a minivan. Even if the mesh doesn't reflect as such. ;)

buznee

Reaction score
I'm ready to get flamed.

Not sure if this is at all possible but I was curious if there's a way to code in the ability to do an IVA with zero G. Imagine being able to unbuckle your seat belt and float around inside the cabin or move between cabin, and other compartments of the ship. Not sure if the inside can be made to have collidable surfaces so that you don't exit through the craft lol. This could allow you eventually to enter the airlock and prepare for an EVA. I'm sure this is asking too much. Just thought I'd throw the idea in there.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Not sure if this is at all possible but I was curious if there's a way to code in the ability to do an IVA with zero G. Imagine being able to unbuckle your seat belt and float around inside the cabin or move between cabin, and other compartments of the ship. Not sure if the inside can be made to have collidable surfaces so that you don't exit through the craft lol. This could allow you eventually to enter the airlock and prepare for an EVA. I'm sure this is asking too much. Just thought I'd throw the idea in there.

It might be possible, but a lot of work unless someone does it as a generic library. Definitely wont happen for the first release of the Phoenix, but maybe an idea for the future. Good idea though :thumbup:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Not sure if the inside can be made to have collidable surfaces so that you don't exit through the craft lol.

There's no collidable surfaces in orbiter at all. Several attempts have been made to add this feature, but the problem is that this would really have to go in the core to work stable and without abusing features that were never intended for that purpose (usually attachment points). It would also demand adding kinematics to the physics engine. It would be a major undertaking.