News 2 pilots killed in UPS jumbo cargo plane crash near Alabama airport

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Actually, it isn't a Jumbo Jet, but an Airbus A300. Fox News is really no source for good information, they confuse everything.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
I clicked on the link, immediately saw a huge advertisement that "Bloomberg anti-gun group honors Boston bomber," and I quickly shut the window down.

I guess I will rely on O-F to inform us what happened.

Edit:

A300 is at least a "wide body" so I'll give them that one. "Jumo Jet" really has no definition.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
More information from here:

Aircraft was a A300-600RF, delivered in 2003, with mere 11000 hours in the air. Plane was reported to be on fire already before the crash and three explosions had been heard by witnesses.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Actually, it isn't a Jumbo Jet, but an Airbus A300. Fox News is really no source for good information, they confuse everything.

At the time the story was originally published, it was early morning and still dark, so it was unclear what type of cargo plane it was. I think the term "jumbo cargo plane" was used quite generically in this particular instance.

Some early reports from other news outlets said it was a 747.

Latest report as of late yesterday states that due to the tail section still smoldering, they have been unable to recover the cockpit voice or flight data recorders.

---------- Post added at 08:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 AM ----------

Report from CNN, for those who prefer that outlet:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/14/us/alabama-cargo-plane-crash

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
At the time the story was originally published, it was early morning and still dark, so it was unclear what type of cargo plane it was. I think the term "jumbo cargo plane" was used quite generically in this particular instance.

I think it is simply confusing to use a term with both no clear definition (Since the expert knows no jumbo cargo plane) and a clear definition (The layman will only call the 747 a jumbo jet)

"Large cargo aircraft" would have been better. Also air traffic control and flight tracking homepages would have known which type of aircraft this one was, it is pretty apologetic to suggest that these sources might be unable to read the strip, so it is OK to make things up, instead of being a journalist and ask.

Screamer7

Reaction score
Jumbo cargo plane crash = sensation.
Sensation = "good journalism"
:dry::thumbsdown::(