News New York plane crash: WW2 aircraft in Hudson River.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36404322

A vintage World War Two aircraft has crashed in the Hudson River between New York and New Jersey.

The plane - a single-seater P-47 Thunderbolt - went down two miles (3.2km) south of George Washington Bridge.

Divers later recovered a body - believed to be that of the pilot - from the submerged plane.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
At the risk of being disrespectful, what sort of terrible journalism is this?

Divers later recovered a body - believed to be that of the pilot - from the submerged plane.

If the body was recovered from the wreckage of a single seat aircraft, it's probably the pilot.

Linguofreak

Reaction score

If the body was recovered from the wreckage of a single seat aircraft, it's probably the pilot.

But someone could have rigged the plane for radio control, kidnapped a guy and stuck him in the pilot's seat, and then sent him for a swim in the Hudson. Because that is definitely not the most Rube Goldbergy murder plot ever thought up. The all-wise journalists, rulers of the universe, have spoken. :shifty:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It could also be another victim of another crime, that was just on the same place. Until you really had to cut him from his seat, he is only "likely the pilot" for good truthful journalists.

The P-47 has a rather roomy cockpit, so it is also possible for people without interest in warbirds to assume a second person there.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
RIP pilot. For those not local, it's a big military weekend in NY, coinciding with Memorial Day (remembering military who gave their lives for the USA). It's "Fleet Week" as well, with a flotilla of navy ships also in town, and a big Jones Beach airshow as well (for which this P-47 was doing some promo material).

It went down close to where Sully's "Miracle on the Hudson" crash-landing happened.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Until the identity is confirmed they aren't going to stick their foot in their mouth.

Also it didn't say if the body came out of the cockpit or was found elsewhere.

This being the Hudson River, you shouldn't be surprised if you find the odd body here and there.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Amazing! Aircraft is seemingly without damage! I'm sure there's damage due to water and things broken, but I'd expect the wings to snap off, the fuselage to buckle and the propeller to break, at least...

We'll see if a video surfaces that shows the impact in more detail. I'd also like to know what the cause of death was for the pilot - did he survive the impact unconscious and drown or die on impact?

Flaps are down, indicating the pilot expected to ditch.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
P-47s are tough beasts.

Yea, I get it - they are made to pull high Gs, but at high speed, even water acts like concrete. The state of the airplane would definitely indicate that the pilot was aware of the problem and trying to land safely.

I wonder if it was an engine failure.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The lower prop blade is bent and none of the others are--definitely suggests to me that the propeller wasn't spinning at the time of impact.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Per Gary Lewi, a spokesman for the American Airpower Museum, the aircraft suffered an inflight engine failure, and was attempting an emergency landing. The pilot was 56 year-old William Gordon, from Key West FL, a veteran air show performer.
Source

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yea, I get it - they are made to pull high Gs, but at high speed, even water acts like concrete. The state of the airplane would definitely indicate that the pilot was aware of the problem and trying to land safely.

P-47s are capable of taking much abuse from weapons damage as well as high G's, and in the case of a water landing, may be able to survive an impact that might rip the wings off of a lesser airframe.

It may be possible that it nosed over on its back after the forced landing, which would not be a good thing for the pilot.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Not the first warbird to go down to engine failure, unfortunately.

I've been fortunate to see many flying at airshows, but every time one is lost, I wonder if it is time to start thinking about grounding them so they can be preserved for future generations.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Well... As long as you have the data plate from the manufacturer, and a full set of blueprints, you can rebuild a new bird essentially from scratch.