2012 Houston Grand Criterium (my first bike race!)

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I finished my first bike race this past weekend! Had a good time, but I was almost collected in a big crash with 2 laps to go. I didn't crash myself, but my race was basically over after that because I couldn't catch up with the peloton alone. I kept going though and I rolled in to the finish a lap and a half later with a few other riders. You can see the crash @ 35:30 in the video.

I posted a full race report on my blog.

GPS Data: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/175477602

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
After the crash my HR went up quick with the adrenaline flowing. I also put in a hard effort trying to catch back up. The gauge you asked about is cadence measured by crank arm revolutions.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, there was nothing you could have done. Bad luck, but its a good thing not having been injured.

The intervals seemed very very small to me on the last video, it had to happen.

I'm pretty amazed you can sustain a long effort at 150-170 BPM, quite impressive. I guessed the near-180 BPM peak after the crash and at the end of the race quite burned you out. Personnally, I burn out very quickly over 120-130 BPM. It's where training pays I guess :thumbup:

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
For sure it takes some time and training to function in high HR zones. The most BPM I've seen for myself was 188 (using a different HR monitor though). Usually I peak around 180 since I've been using my Garmin, so I'd guess 185-188 is my absolute max HR. By the time I hit 180, I feel like I am dieing - gasping for air, and everything is screaming to stop. I'd probably need some terrain to climb in order to hit my true HR more often.

I still need to do more work so that I can sustain 170+ for longer periods of time. That would better allow me to stay closer to the front in order to avoid these crashes.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Leading the pack:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg