Problem 2016 Orbiter Flight Simulator Launch Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
D3D9 graphics will definitely work fine (and flawlessly) on a newer advanced computer. The inline graphics client works fine, but D3D9 graphics is a leap above the inline graphics. Until you see them side-by-side you may not realize what you are missing.

As far as where to get it... https://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=18431

Installing it is pretty simple; unzip it into your Orbiter directory. The run Orbiter_NG, open the [modules] tab and select the D3D9 checkbox.

In order for some addons to work, you will need to make a symbolic link to the config folder. This is easily done by a mouse click. Open the [video] tab, click [advanced] and click on [create symbolic links]

You should be ready to go.

Outerspace

Reaction score
Hi PhantomCruiser,

I already downloaded the D3D9 graphics enhancement mod, and I unzipped it into the Orbiter Flight Simulator main directory.

I also ran the Orbiter Flight Simulator software program, and then I opened the Modules tab, but I do not see any D3D9 checkbox at all.

The D3D9 checkbox does not appear in my Modules tab at all.

I do not know why there is no D3D9 checkbox in my Modules tab at all.

Could you please provide any explanation for the absence of the D3D9 checkbox in my Modules tab?

How can I make the D3D9 checkbox appear in my Modules tab?

Outerspace

Reaction score
Hi Ripley,

I launched both Orbiter_NG.exe and Orbiter.exe, and I still do NOT see any D3D9 checkbox at all.

The D3D9 checkbox does NOT exist and appear in the Modules tabs in either the Orbiter_NG.exe and the Orbiter.exe at all!

It is just not there!

Snax

Space Cowboy
Reaction score
Just out if curiosit, have you tried with a clean setup, just Orbiter and D3D9 ?

Also, maybe give a try with the redist files given by Orbiter ?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Hi Ripley,

I launched both Orbiter_NG.exe and Orbiter.exe, and I still do NOT see any D3D9 checkbox at all.

The D3D9 checkbox does NOT exist and appear in the Modules tabs in either the Orbiter_NG.exe and the Orbiter.exe at all!

It is just not there!

Then there is something amiss. If you unzip (for Orbiter 2016) the D3D9 Client there should be several files. These just get dropped (or unzipped) into your Orbiter directory.

Attachments

• 2018-12-12.png
    2018-12-12.png
    181.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 2018-12-12 (2).png
    2018-12-12 (2).png
    175.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 2018-12-12 (3).png
    2018-12-12 (3).png
    169.5 KB · Views: 13

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Outerspace, see here.
Start the video at 12:20 (that is, right after correctly unzipping D3D9Client into Orbiter main folder):

Last edited:

Outerspace

Reaction score
I downloaded the D3D9 client from the Download page of the Orbiter Space Flight Simulator 2016 webpage.

I then proceeded to use Winrar to unzip the contents of the D3D9 client directly to the Orbiter Flight Simulator main directory.

That is the exact process that I used.

Is that the correct steps to take to install the D3D9 client?

I should suppose so.

However, like I said before, I did not see any D3D9 option in the Modules tabs in both Orbiter.exe and Orbiter_NG.exe at all.

It is really weird...

I might have to reinstall everything.

bcbarnes

Reaction score
Not familiar with winrar. Does it preserve the directory structure contained within the archive file? I know that has been an issue for others.

Look in the directory <orbiterinstall>\modules. Inside there should be a number of subdirectories including one named 'D3D9Client'.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I downloaded the D3D9 client from the Download page of the Orbiter Space Flight Simulator 2016 webpage.

I then proceeded to use Winrar to unzip the contents of the D3D9 client directly to the Orbiter Flight Simulator main directory.

That is the exact process that I used.

Is that the correct steps to take to install the D3D9 client?

I should suppose so.

However, like I said before, I did not see any D3D9 option in the Modules tabs in both Orbiter.exe and Orbiter_NG.exe at all.

It is really weird...

I might have to reinstall everything.
Did you make sure to preserve the folder structure when you extracted it? You should have a D3D9Client.dll file in Modules\Plugin, along with an additional subfolder named D3D9Client in the Modules subfolder.

Also make sure that you install thhe following runtime files: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=9033
Run that to extract the setup files and then run Setup.exe.

Abloheet

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
@Outerspace, your gtx 1050 is more than capable of running Orbiter 2016 at 4k above 60 fps. Dx7 doesnt support more than 2560x1440. To get 4k support in Orbiter, one has to use dx9. Once you have a decent mid range gpu like the 1050, the main performance bottleneck is your cpu single thread performance. And, I understand your pain of always hungering for a better faster pc with every new generation release of hardware. Still, Orbiter actually has comparatively mild resource requirements, and doesnt need the latest and greatest hardware like rtx 2080ti and core-i9 9900k.

My fx8350, with its pathetic single core performance, can run Orbiter at 100-300 fps with all graphics settings at maximum at 1080p, bcoz of my radeon rx470 gpu, which is considerably faster than the 1050.
I havent tried running Orbiter yet with my 4k tv, but i expect about the same or slightly lower but more stable performance, as then the bottleneck will shift to the gpu from the cpu at that high resolution. Still, it will be about 90-100fps.
Thus the limiting factor is my cpu single thread performance. What processor do you have?

Last edited:

Outerspace

Reaction score
Hi Abloheet,

My CPU is an Intel Core i5-7400, and it is running at 3.0GHz.

I definitely want to upgrade my CPU to a more powerful one, maybe to an Intel i9 processor.

Frankly speaking, I'm getting quite slow computer performance with my current Intel i5 CPU processor.

I experience very low frame rates with a number of the other modern computer games that I bought on online gaming platforms, such as Steam.

Any new computer games have very demanding requirements, and running them on an average computer with average computing/ processing capabilities is not sufficient to be able to make them run very fast and very well.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hi Abloheet,

My CPU is an Intel Core i5-7400, and it is running at 3.0GHz.

I definitely want to upgrade my CPU to a more powerful one, maybe to an Intel i9 processor.

Frankly speaking, I'm getting quite slow computer performance with my current Intel i5 CPU processor.

I experience very low frame rates with a number of the other modern computer games that I bought on online gaming platforms, such as Steam.

Any new computer games have very demanding requirements, and running them on an average computer with average computing/ processing capabilities is not sufficient to be able to make them run very fast and very well.
Orbiter and many other 3D applications today are more dependent on the capabilities of the GPU rather than the CPU. So what is your PC's exact specs? If your GPU is on the low end, this is where your focus should be, not the RAM or the CPU. Unless you're thinking of running NVIDIA Quadros in full SLI Mode, there's no need to spend any money on upgrading your CPU as any modern CPU will not bottleneck any consumer GPU available today (this includes NVIDIA's recently launched 20' series RTX GPUs).

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Here you go
Thanks for pointing me to that reply Ripley. Now I understand things a bit more clearly. It seems like you're asking your poor GTX 1050 to simply do things a bit beyond its capabilities. The GTX 1050 is the low-mid version of the 10' series of GeForce GPUs. It's comfort zone is for display resolution is 1920x1080 AKA 1080p. The higher the resolution, the more pixels you are asking the GPU to process every second. And every GPU can only process so many pixels per second before performance is impacted.

For the resolutions you want, I'd consider at least a GTX 1070, maybe even a GTX 1070 Ti.

Outerspace

Reaction score
DaveS,

You are merely restating what I have been mentioning for quite a while, that my own personal computer system is already old, obsolete, and outdated.

That is just no way that it is possible for it to be able to display any high-end graphics settings effectively and efficiently.

Only a newer, more advanced, and more sophisticated computer system is able to do it successfully.

I can say that I have reached the maximum limit of computing/ processing powers of my current computer system for Orbiter Flight Simulator 2016.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
DaveS,

You are merely restating what I have been mentioning for quite a while, that my own personal computer system is already old, obsolete, and outdated.

That is just no way that it is possible for it to be able to display any high-end graphics settings effectively and efficiently.

Only a newer, more advanced, and more sophisticated computer system is able to do it successfully.

I can say that I have reached the maximum limit of computing/ processing powers of my current computer system for Orbiter Flight Simulator 2016.
Just don't use such a high resolution. Try something lower like 1080p or even 1440p.

Outerspace

Reaction score
I always prefer to set the video resolution settings to a high level, because only at higher video resolution settings, I'm able to see things much more clearly; when I set them to lower video resolution settings, everything is very blurry and fuzzy.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Maybe you need new glasses. :hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.