Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Many of you seen "Magic eye" stereo images before, so did i.

Just for fun, try to recognize something familiar in these images:
absird_orbiter_101223-2.jpg

This one should be easier:
absird_orbiter_101223-1.jpg

Stereo Orbiter, no anaglyph glasses needed.

Curious thing is, it's trivial to render it at run time with OGLAClient.
Anyone crazy enough to try playing stereo Orbiter like that? :)

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
1st - DeltaGlider's VC (I never knew the HUD is so 3D).
2nd - DeltaGlider Docked to ISS.

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
Nice! But I can't realize what the first one is although I see it clearly. Something with antennaes or something...at first I thought it was the Probe, but after looking at it more closely I don't think so anymore.

P.S.: I would NEVER play Orbiter like that, even if it had the XR2 Ravenstar MK10000000! My eyes hurt...

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Something with antennaes or something...at first I thought it was the Probe, but after looking at it more closely I don't think so anymore.
Does it look more familiar now?:
DG-1st.jpg

jevans

Reaction score
I actually found the first one easier than the second one. It sort of leapt out at me and stayed locked there after a minute or two of blankly staring at it.

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
I always think people are joking at me when they say they can see something in such pictures other than a bunch of color spots.

I stared and stared and almost flattened my nose against my monitor, and all I could barely see on the pic 1 looked remotely like a grave stone with some carving on it. :uhh: Made up of color blots, of course.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The only things I detect are 4 "groups" of pixels more or less aligned on the horizontal, on the mid-bottom of the screen... :hmm:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
On the 2nd image you should see this:
DG_ISS-2nd.jpg
(Though, I'm not sure about the background and the color of the docked DG, but foreground looks like on the attached picture.)

The 1st image you should see was presented here, but there could be a different scenery outside of cockpit.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
...well...I can see it...I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with people who can't...or anything like that...

Archabacteria

Reaction score
On the first, I see a series of square objects. Even after looking at the real image.

On the second, I can just make out the delta glider- but nothing else. Certainly not it docking with the ISS.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I can make out the obvious pattern to the pixels, and a subpattern beneath them, nothing beyond that. :shrug:

I also thought magic eyes were jokes, but I guess if some of you guys can see them, something's just wrong with me. :blink:

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
...well...I can see it...I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with people who can't...or anything like that...

Don't take this the wrong way, but it's you that's suffering from "brain failure". Your brain is picking out a pattern that isn't really there...

ghostrunner01

Reaction score
To me, the first picture looks like the HUD. I can make a deltaglider on the second one but nothing else.

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I remember a time when I was a kid when I could look at this kind of pictures practically like at any ordinary picture and it would jump out on me, I had lots of training...

Now, about 18 years later, it seems I can't do it anymore. Oh well...

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Here is some more. :)

The first one is easy, but the second isn't. I'll post the answers soon.
Are you sure they are prepared properly? Artlav's are wall-eyed (parallel), and my eyes don't catch anything on yours, so either they are cross-eyed, or the dots are too small and image too big, or this isn't an [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autostereogram]autostereogram[/ame] at all, but an image mixed with random dots.

There are two ways an autostereogram can be viewed: wall-eyed and cross-eyed. Most autostereograms are designed to be viewed in only one way, which is usually wall-eyed. Wall-eyed viewing requires that the two eyes adopt a relatively parallel angle, while cross-eyed viewing requires a relatively convergent angle.

Lol, it seems it's causing brain damage or something here. :lol: *goes totally insane*
If they are causing a brain damage, then those, or those (except red-cyan glasses ones) should cause as much damage as these in this thread.

BTW. Not Orbiter related, but this animated one is great (click on it to view larger version):

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Interesting. I can see that one without trouble, even blink and move my head. I never looked at an animated one before...

It seems my "superpowers" are back :lol: Now I can see Artlav's too. Not the other ones, though...

Last edited:

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
Can it be my problem that my interpupillary distance is obviously less than standard? I always have to adjust binoculars to almost the closest possible distance between tubes to get a round field of view, and I can never obtain a 3d picture even out of classic printed stereopairs images. I only get watering eyes and headache if I try to. Also, when I'm on a 3d movie, the objects that are supposed to be floating in front of my face I can see as split.

Or otherwise, you guys who say you can see a picture are just hoaxing. ;)