Software Absurdly low framerate when viewing 2d panels

Captain Ray

Reaction score
When trying Orbiter 2010, I found it would run just fine until I switched to the 2d cockpit panel for the shuttle-A, then the framerate would drop to under 1 fps. The same thing would happen with the panels for the DGIV on an otherwise clean install. Updating my graphics card drivers and changing the video settings has had no effect at all.

It wouldn't be so bad if the same problem had not also now appeared with my old installment of Orbiter 2006P1! Now I can't fly my DGIV in either program!!

Can anyone please help? :sos:

ddom2006

Reaction score
You're not running any programmes in the background whilst using Orbiter are you? It's pretty odd to have this isolated problem for just one vessel and just one issue of the vessel though.

Captain Ray

Reaction score

No, I already looked at that thread. Turning the MFD's on or off doesn't affect it. It's the 2d panels. For example if I scroll them of the screen or switch to external view the framerate comes back to normal. It's happening with the shuttle-A and DGIV but weirdly not with the default DG.

And why would my Orbiter 2006P1 install be affected?

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
If both installations are affected, the cause has to be higher than that. Probably within your video drivers.

Keatah

Reaction score
When I had that problem it had to do with the panel scaling. and resolution. I'd get like 2 fps when I should have gotten 30 or 40 --

Captain Ray

Reaction score
Problem Fixed

If both installations are affected, the cause has to be higher than that. Probably within your video drivers.

After experimenting with my graphics card settings I found the problem. Here's the info for anyone else who ever has this issue.

My graphics card is: NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X

The setting with appears to cause the problem is in the windows control panel under 3d settings, it's labeled Antialiasing settings. Set this to Application-controled.

You may also wish to set Anisotropic filtering to Off or set it to Application-controled and then in the Orbiter launch-pad set the filter level to None. This will improve the framerate some more.

Thanks for helping, everyone. :thankyou:

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
It is generally a good idea to let everything on application controlled unless you know what you are doing and if possible only do it in the profile for the application you are adjusting your settings for.