News Add-ons working in Orbiter 2016

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Are there any station building add-ons currently working?

IMS2 is developed solely for 2016.
Now granted, it doesn't come with its own graphics yet (SSBB download required), and the set of modules is still somewhat limited, but what's there works pretty well.

Axel

Drive Technician
Reaction score
I have been able to get most of the Shuttle payloads to work in a 2016 Atlantis. The big issue is the locations of attachments. I used attachment manager to adjust the attachment point. I had to add some new points also. The ones using Plyon I have been able to load/work

I can not load any scenario with attached vessels, if i delete the "attachement line" entry manually in the scenario by text editor, then i can load the scenario in orbiter. The same problem has UniversalCargoDeck4, my most important addon ever :(:(. You can use it in Orbiter2016, but when you want to leave/save the scenario, you have to remove the core-vessel from UniversalCargoDeck, else you will get a CTD when you try to reload the scenario. This problem have not the payload-vessels. So my nice Skylon-UCD-addon and DeltagliderEX-
UCD4-PowerHover-addon are although not working normally in Orbiter2016:
https://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4986
https://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4919

You have to load it in Orbiter2010, remove all Core-Vessels from UCD4 and remove attachment of the PowerHover from DGex, save, load Orbiter 2016 and manually attach it "temporaly" for instand using. Don't forget alltimes to remove attachments/core-vessels before leaving/save the scenario. But thats not a good way for the future. Orbiter2016 seems to have big problems with attachments. But interesting, that you can use "Pylon I" attachment point, we have to find out, what here is more compatible.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
As a youngster I used to love Space 1999. I'll have to try out "Moonbase Alpha" in Orbiter 2016!

I have tried out "World of 2001" and it does not work properly. I wonder what it would take to get it working. Wish I had a clue. Probably need the source code to fix that one, it has a lot of .dll's

Not sure what does not work, but I just started one scenario of it without modifications. It seems to work. I would say some further testing is needed but it can work.

---------- Post added at 22:58 ---------- Previous post was at 22:38 ----------

OK, I see... moon lacks textures and terrain now. Likely because it uses the old configuration file syntax for bases.

EDIT: Yes, Sol_2001 uses old syntax. Fixing this.

---------- Post added at 23:15 ---------- Previous post was at 22:58 ----------

Looks better like this:

picture.php

---------- Post added at 23:24 ---------- Previous post was at 23:15 ----------

And Clavius also needs some reworking now, its now longer level. But doesn't look like its a big problem to patch it for 2016.

Last edited:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
To expand on Urwumpe's help, most 2010 addons used specific solar system configs.
Those wont load the new 2016 planets, so you need to change the scenarios to use the default solar system.

Of course, some base and surface customizations are lost in the process.
But it's possible to use the "context" parameter to load things by scenario on 2016 ( I think ;) ).

Lastly, most 2010 vessels will float a bit after landing, but that depends on how they were coded.
Well made vessels should remain stable enough if you land at realistic speeds and orientation.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
To expand on Urwumpe's help, most 2010 addons used specific solar system configs.
Those wont load the new 2016 planets, so you need to change the scenarios to use the default solar system.

Or you copy the new celestial body parameters from the new configuration files into the configuration files of the new solar system, which also worked well here.

Of course, some base and surface customizations are lost in the process.
But it's possible to use the "context" parameter to load things by scenario on 2016 ( I think ;) ).

Yes, for finding bases. I am not sure if I will use this approach, I think having a separate solar system as alternative history version works better.

The context parameter requires overwriting or editing files of the base orbiter installation, I prefer minimizing this.

Lastly, most 2010 vessels will float a bit after landing, but that depends on how they were coded.
Well made vessels should remain stable enough if you land at realistic speeds and orientation.

Another scenario for testing.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well like some add-ons that had their own terrain. That becomes an issue. Like the Moonbase Alpha stuff it had a pieces of terrain for the crater. That wouldn't be needed. But then it opens a can of worms. I can fit adjust touchdown points so the base looks good from the exterior. But the interior isn't good. I play around and flatten the area. And it looked better. But since no Ummu as yet. no way to walk around

llarian

Reaction score
Oldie but a goodie (well anyway, I like the craft) and I haven't seen it mentioned. Not a complete addon but Dan's Frelon9 works just fine in Orbiter 2016.

Ricochetv1

Reaction score
Wideawake Intl

Not sure if anyone has tested Wideawake Intl yet, but there seems to have been some global warming between Orbiter 2010 and 2016...
WideawakeUnderWater.jpg

ljetibo

Reaction score
If by bases you mean places where you can land (not necessarily take off with a shuttle from)
then the following also worked for me
Baikonur - but mainly because that whole part of the earth is so flat.
Edwards
Canaveral
Habana

And I think also Gran Canaria (very nice, lights and all works) but can't remember.

I have a fresh install of 2016 with the newest textures and elevation data from: http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/mirrors/orbiter_radio/tex_mirror.html

Major_Tom

Reaction score
Gran Canaria from this addon?

Oh yea, some of the island bases also look alright given they're exactly at sea level, like Jarvis Space Center, will only need a bit of relocation to match 2016's tiles.

Can someone please clarify this to me, why is that some of the meshes from 2010 or 2006 addons are invisible in 2016? Is there a way to fix it?

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Can someone please clarify this to me, why is that some of the meshes from 2010 or 2006 addons are invisible in 2016? Is there a way to fix it?

Yes/Maybe You have to rebuild the add-on. I have seen this with 2006 and earlier addon. But if you don't have the code then you are kinda out of luck. I had to redo a couple of Kevin Copters to work in 2010,....

CTarana45

Reaction score
ChristopherT Addons Working With Orbiter 2016

All My addons on Orbithangar work fine under Orbiter 2016. I installed them
to look for stability issues DanSteph Mentioned. No instability issues found in 2016!

Christopher Tarana

regula50

Reaction score
Soyuz 7K series work with Orbiter 2016(and also with 060929 Orbiter 2006).
Already to this day for me, the only Soyuz spacecraft working with Orbiter 2016.

regula50

Reaction score
China Manned Space Program 1.5 also work with Orbiter 2016(and with 060929). High recomended.

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
I tested Zarya-J and Zvezda-J in 2016 and they works!

Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I tried URMS. It loads but I couldn't pull up the panel to move the arm