afxres.h in VC++ 2008

V8Li

Reaction score
I'm trying to add more trim to the DG that comes with orbitersim and is included in the SDK. I have the VC++ 2008 (the free version) and I get this error:
Code:
DeltaGlider.rc(10) : fatal error RC1015: cannot open include file 'afxres.h'.
It turns out that the afxres.h is not included in the VC++ 2008 SDK and if I replace it with windows.h I get some other errors since the code uses specific afxres.h directives. Before I get the VC++ version used by Dr. Martin Schweiger (is not 2008 for sure, 2006 if I remember, I'll check out later) I wanna know if the afxres.h is included in that version of VC++ so that I don't download and install it for nothing.

Let me know if you know anything about it.
Thanks!

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Why not just install the platform SDK?

reverend

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The problem here is that the free version of the C++ compiler does not come with MFC which is required to compile vessels that have a custom panel. Anything with a .rc or Resource file won't work here, you need the full version for this.

V8Li

Reaction score
The problem here is that the free version of the C++ compiler does not come with MFC which is required to compile vessels that have a custom panel. Anything with a .rc or Resource file won't work here, you need the full version for this.

Oh, ok, thanks! That's what I wanted to know: if the MFC was excluded from the 2008 or it is available for the full version only.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Not true. Is there any differences between a 2D panel bitmap(*.bmp) and icons(*.ico)?

The default Atlantis and Space Shuttle Ultra compiles just fine with resources under both VC++ 2005 and 2008 Express Editions.

The 2003 toolkit is another story though.

Here's a link to the solution on the OrbiterWiki: http://www.orbiterwiki.org/wiki/Free_Compiler_Setup#cannot_open_include_file_.27afxres.h.27

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Uhh, no. MFC has nothing to do with resources, the stock vessels compile just fine with anything > VC++ 2003 toolkit. You can even compile the stock vessels with VC++ 2003 toolkit, but you have to compile the resources separately using an external resource compiler.

SO:

1. Install the platform SDK
2. Install the vc++ 2005 or vc++ 2008 compiler
3. Try to compile the DG

It will continue to complain about it not being able to find files, all you have to do is use Windows' search function to find those files and drop them in the project directory.

reverend

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score

V8Li

Reaction score
Yep, it worked guys, thanks!

I've read the error thing on Orbiterwiki but I forgot about it and haven't downloaded the Platform SDK either when I installed the VC++. I just did a quick search and found on an "expert" forum that the MFC (they mentioned it does handle resource) comes with the payed version. The download does require "Windows Genuine Advantage validation" so that's what must have lead them to believe it's not free.

Off topic: someone did a hell of a better job than I would have. I'm using orbitersim for about 2 years now and with all the add-ons I never got the DeltaTweak 2.0 by spectre_6. It should be in the default package, I even left a positive review. The old DG reminds me of that first time I got into a "crocked" 1000Km x 150Km orbit :)