Amateur Space Shots?

Gym_Class_Hero

Reaction score
Just wondering. Have there been any other amateur space shots than Space Ship One and CSXT?

reverend

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Not that I'm aware of, and I'd like to point out a couple things. As far as I'm aware, CSXT is the only amatuer rocket to have achieved this. I personally don't really consider SpaceShipOne as an amatuer attempt, as it was accomplished by a commercial entity. SS1 was however the first manned spaceflight not performed by a government entity.

"Sugar Shot To Space" www.sugarshot.org is a project I'm following along on trying to put a "sugar rocket" to the 100km line. They've already completed test firings of a 1/4th scale model motor.

I'm sure there are lots of other amatuer attempts in the works.

I plan on being the first amatuer to shoot a rocket to the moon.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Funny, I didn't know the amatuer rocket had the same name as a major railroad company, CSX Transportation.

csxt342_crestline123102-01.jpg

MajorTom

Ker-splash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
:rofl:

Brilliant!

...with a suitably inclined ramp, and enough locomotives pushing from behind...maybe, just maybe....

reverend

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Are you on a Google Lunar X-Prize team?

No. I'm not intending on landing a robot there. I'm planning on slamming something into the moon at interplanetary velocity.

reverend

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Funny, I didn't know the amatuer rocket had the same name as a major railroad company, CSX Transportation.
Actually, CSXT was the name of the team... Civilian Space eXploration Team. The name of the rocket was GoFast, named after a commercial sponsor none the less, GoFast Sports.