New Release AMSO 1.20

ACSoft

AMSO Founder
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hi Kuddel, no problem, you are welcome !!!

To all Orbinaut's now ! As we say in French "Always put back your work on the loom !!!" I announce now, that I am working already on a patch P2. The main reason is that I found a new bad problem (appeared probably since Orbiter 2010), in the particular Apollo 13 configuration. It is bad because it block the user and he cannot finish the adventure.

Seeking around this case, I discovered also that some "dirty trick code" I had to implement for Orbiter 2006, in order to overturn some bad CTD's where not anymore necessary. Obviously, Martin passed there !!! That's good !!! So, now, I decided to further check all that kind of stuff's and cleanup the code, when it is possible.

I had also the idea to add to the mini-panel the indication "FLIGHT ABORTED" when you enter in such a situation.

I am thinking also to forbid the LM extraction, if you have this "FLIGHT ABORTED" status. This is possible to do with the new abort mode introduced in 1.20 "premature 2nd stage separation". I mean, there is no reasons to be able build "the train for the Moon", if you aborted the flight during 2nd stage burn ? What do-you think ?

I would also love if some of you, would be interested to receive a beta version of this future patch and to make some tests of it. Better that not only me test if everything is still working well, after I have done this general code cleanup. Just tell me to my private Email (see at the end of AMSO-User-manual.doc) you want to participate and I will send you a private link to the beta-patch so you can test.

Thanks in forward !

ACS

robmuzz

Reaction score
Hello, Please help!
I have Orbiter 2010 and installed ASMO 1.20, when I run ANY scenario, there are NO graphics.

What I mean is, Orbiter starts ok, but all I see (say when I open a launch scenario) is a 2D grey sqare floating above the ground. No laucn-pad or ship.

Any Idea what I've done wrong, or what's happened ?

Mantis

Reaction score
Hi ACS,

I previously did not have Damage and Failure simulation enabled. Now that I have enabled it, I have to abort virtually every launch. I tried the Apollo 11 launch scenario 5 times. The results were:

1) Autopilot failure right at stage 1 sep.
2) 20% power loss just after I cleared the tower.
3) 20% Power loss about 1 minute into flight.
4) Autopilot failure 10 seconds before Stage 1 sep.
5) 20% power loss about 2 minute into flight.

I'm wondering if their is some sort of configuration setting that might be out of wack in my installation causing excessive failures. I looked at all the settings in the launch pad but couldn't find anything. Any suggestions? If I disable damage and failure everything works perfectly.

Last edited:

ACSoft

AMSO Founder
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hi ACS,

I previously did not have Damage and Failure simulation enabled. Now that I have enabled it, I have to abort virtually every launch. I tried the Apollo 11 launch scenario 5 times. The results were:

1) Autopilot failure right at stage 1 sep.
2) 20% power loss just after I cleared the tower.
3) 20% Power loss about 1 minute into flight.
4) Autopilot failure 10 seconds before Stage 1 sep.
5) 20% power loss about 2 minute into flight.

I'm wondering if their is some sort of configuration setting that might be out of wack in my installation causing excessive failures. I looked at all the settings in the launch pad but couldn't find anything. Any suggestions? If I disable damage and failure everything works perfectly.
Thanks for this information !!!

Random generator may vary in quality (real ramdomness or not), from one PC to the other. It depend on the code library and how the random generator function is built.

I suppose that if Orbiter 2010 is more "rapid" than Orbiter 2006, it may also affect the number of time per second, the random damage and failure generator is called. But I doubt of this, because normally, the Orbiter pooling should be fixed and constant (as far as I remember, it should be something like 18 tick /second, I believe).

Anyway, I will do some tests on my side and if I found similar result as you got, re-tune the random damage and failure generator.

Maybe it should be a good idea you register to participate to the beta testing of this futur patch, like I have proposed in my previous message !

ACS

Mantis

Reaction score
Maybe it should be a good idea you register to participate to the beta testing of this futur patch, like I have proposed in my previous message !

ACS

Excellent! I fire off an email to you shortly.

I don't know if this could be affecting it but I have a very powerful computer - including the new quad core Intel Core i7 CPU, 8 GB RAM, Radeon Mobiity 5870 graphics with 1 GB dedicated ram. I'm wondering if the extremely high processing speeds of that computer might be causing the failures to occur more often.

Last edited:

ACSoft

AMSO Founder
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I don't know if this could be affecting it but I have a very powerful computer - including the new quad core Intel Core i7 CPU, 8 GB RAM, Radeon Mobiity 5870 graphics with 1 GB dedicated ram. I'm wondering if the extremely high processing speeds of that computer might be causing the failures to occur more often.
We will have a better idea on that, when I will have made the similar test you made on my own PC.

ACS

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hello robmuzz,

Hello, Please help!
I have Orbiter 2010 and installed ASMO 1.20, when I run ANY scenario, there are NO graphics.

What I mean is, Orbiter starts ok, but all I see (say when I open a launch scenario) is a 2D grey sqare floating above the ground. No laucn-pad or ship.

Any Idea what I've done wrong, or what's happened ?
from your description it is a very odd behavior.:idk:

I assume that your Orbiter Installation works (worked?) well before?
If yes, I can only think of something like a wrong insatllation (unzip) of the AMSO package. Although a "floating flat square" is something very strange.
Sorry that I can not give you any further detailed help, but my usual approach would be the following:

1. Create a new clean Orbiter-2010 installation
  2. Check that it works as expected
    (try some DG @ Habana Scenario or so)
  3. Unpack the AMSO package in that folder
  4. Check if extracted with correct directory structure
    (check for example if "Angel.dll" is located at "{YourBaseOrbiterDirectory}\Modules\AMSO\"; If that's the case the rest should be OK as well, I assume ;) )
  5. Try to run a AMSO Scenario..

If that still doesn't work out right you should post your orbiter.cfg[1] & orbiter.log files.

Hope you get things right,
Kuddel

[1] or Orbiter_NG.cfg if you are using an external Graphics-Client like D3D9

5tormbringer

Reaction score
Hello robmuzz,

from your description it is a very odd behavior.:idk:

I assume that your Orbiter Installation works (worked?) well before?
If yes, I can only think of something like a wrong insatllation (unzip) of the AMSO package. Although a "floating flat square" is something very strange.
Sorry that I can not give you any further detailed help, but my usual approach would be the following:

1. Create a new clean Orbiter-2010 installation
  2. Check that it works as expected
    (try some DG @ Habana Scenario or so)
  3. Unpack the AMSO package in that folder
  4. Check if extracted with correct directory structure
    (check for example if "Angel.dll" is located at "{YourBaseOrbiterDirectory}\Modules\AMSO\"; If that's the case the rest should be OK as well, I assume ;) )
  5. Try to run a AMSO Scenario..

If that still doesn't work out right you should post your orbiter.cfg[1] & orbiter.log files.

Hope you get things right,
Kuddel

[1] or Orbiter_NG.cfg if you are using an external Graphics-Client like D3D9

I've had exactly the same problem, and I have at least narrowed it down to what's causing it, which is the module files. I tried systematically replacing, then restoring, each of the 1.20 folders with the 1.19 equivalent. When I replaced the 1.20 modules/amso folder the problem went away; when I restored it it was back again. I'm going to carry on playing around, if I get any more info I'll let you know.

5tormbringer

Reaction score
OK, I now think this may have something to do with not having a module installed that most people who use Orbiter have installed and may have been missed in the documentation. The reason I say this is that I have just had an identical experience (down to the presence of the grey square) with the 2001 A Space Odyssey add-on. Until I realised that I'd omitted to install Spacecraft3; then it worked (although it hasn't fixed the AMSO problem). If anyone has any ideas what module it is that would be useful....

Thanks!

5tormbringer

Reaction score
OK, so much for that theory! I did a clean install on another PC; no problem. So it has to be something on my setup (and the other robmuzz's).

Robmuzz if you like to post a system spec up here (incl gfx driver version) I'll see if we've got anything in common between our systems. That might help narrow it down.

stroke

Reaction score
the AMSO is giving a me a stroke! it was working fine then BAM!!! ever launch is giving me autopilot malfunction, i have read it other forums to fix it and i have tried every thing, and now the lunar transfer MFD is saying moon and earth not csol or some crap like that any help would be great

robmuzz

Reaction score
Thank you for your help !

I did a fresh install and it works great now. There must have been a conflict somewhere.

I downloaded as many add-ons as I could the first time. I'm now much more cautious.

Thanks again.

5tormbringer

Reaction score
Problem also solved -I can't remember which mirror I downloaded it from, but the version of Orbiter I downloaded to this PC was not P1; the one I downloaded to the laptop was! So that's that problem fixed, anyway!

Mantis

Reaction score
the AMSO is giving a me a stroke! it was working fine then BAM!!! ever launch is giving me autopilot malfunction, i have read it other forums to fix it and i have tried every thing, and now the lunar transfer MFD is saying moon and earth not csol or some crap like that any help would be great

The upcoming 1.21 release resolves that issue. We've been testing it for a few weeks now and I believe that AcSoft will be releasing it soon.

ACSoft

AMSO Founder
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Yes, speaking of the code, I would say it is ready to be released, but I expect to receive also some more graphic improvements from Luis, which goes with the simulation improvements I have done. So, I will see. If it take too long, maybe I will release 1.21 as it is now and later, another version for the graphic.

ACS

boby_nadeau

Reaction score
Will you do Saturn 1 missions. Like SA-1, SA-2, SA-3, A-101 and the Saturn 1B mission ? It will be could, won't it ?

ACSoft

AMSO Founder
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Will you do Saturn 1 missions. Like SA-1, SA-2, SA-3, A-101 and the Saturn 1B mission ? It will be could, won't it ?
No, this is not in our intentions to do that.

This would require probably an hudge graphic work to build all the specific graphics for these early missions and Luis, my graphist partner & good friend, has unfortunately no much time anymore to devote to the project.

Actually, he is working on some improvements for the different abort sequences and the atmospheric re-entry (mostly parachutes).

ACS

chobolatom

XR2 ESA Virtual Pilot
Reaction score
Is here reentry effect like in XR2 Ravenstar with heat shield?

Ou, I know this isn't right topic for this but in 1.19, I was closing the Moon and save it. After day I start the save and I have in CSM only 1 man! :-O And I don't leave them at LEM.

Last edited:

ACSoft

AMSO Founder
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Is here reentry effect like in XR2 Ravenstar with heat shield?

Ou, I know this isn't right topic for this but in 1.19, I was closing the Moon and save it. After day I start the save and I have in CSM only 1 man! :-O And I don't leave them at LEM.
Difficult to say what's happen here.

If you can reproduce the case with actual version, please contact me by Email (see User Manual at the end) to explain how I can reproduce the case, maybe from a Scenario file you may attach to your Email.

ACS

MajorTom

Ker-splash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hello ACSoft,

I just tried to download AMSO 1.20 from your site, but the zipfile did not appear to be there. Did you take it down?

Thank you-

MT