Discussion AMSO & D3D9 graphic client

ACSoft

AMSO Founder
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hi AMSOnauts !

Being Developing actually the future next AMSO version 1.21, I make quite intensive testing with the configuration Orbiter_ng + the D3D9 graphic client. It was a very good surprise for me, to discover that, because of the fantastic work Jarmo has made on this project he retake, AMSO work pretty well with this graphic interface. Thanks Jarmo !!!.

But I also discover that if I disable the vertical synch. I get an hudge frame rate (300 to 600 fps). So, I tested immediately the AMSO parts which I know to be sensitive to frame rate.

Unfortunately, this hudge frame rate HAS CONSEQUENCES. For now, I remarked for example, that my "Moon walk" has problems. It is a bit like both astronauts had too much vitamins at breakfast !!! They jump too high and they may slip on the ground too often (are they drunk too hummm ?! LOL).

In my case, the simplest solution to solve this problem is to NOT disable vertical synch. As my display vertical synch frequency is set to 60Hz, everything work perfectly again. I see no problem for this restriction, as, to my humble opinion, I don't see any advantges to have vertical synch disabled. It is the contrary, with vertical synch ON, you have slightly better camera movements quality into virtual cockpit than without.

My questions to you are:
  • Do-you use also Orbiter/D3D9 always with vertical synch, like me ?
  • Do-you have similar problem like my abnormal "Moon walk" description, but with vertical synch activated.
  • Do-you think it is enough to document to avoid disabling vertical synch while using AMSO, or shall I see if I can overturn the problem in the code (which might be very difficult) ?
Thanks in forward for your help !

ACS

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
I always use Vertical Synch when I'm using D3D9, and although I haven't done any serious testing I haven't noticed any issues with vertical synch activated.
I'd say it's minor enough to just put a note in the documentation about it. :thumbup: