Meshing Question Anim8or materials tool texturing?

Ark

Reaction score
Hey guys, I found myself bored earlier today, so I started playing around in Anim8or and built a small bunker, intended to be used as a UCGO building. However, I run the .3ds file through mesh maker, and it seems to erase all the texturing I did in Anim8or and replace it with a default material. I did all my texturing with the materials tool and built-in UV tool, it seemed the most straightforward way to go.

Is there a way to make Anim8or's materials show up in Orbiter? I'm pretty much a total noob at real modeling, my only 3D editing experience comes from doing some mapping in Unreal and Source.

Ark

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I think I may qualify for the "Ugliest first addon in history" award.

crappybunker.jpg

Seems like some of the textures got flipped during the conversion process, but could be worse for a couple days worth of idle experimentation.

Dambuster

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I thought it was actually fairly cool-looking when I first looked at the picture ;)

Ark

Reaction score
What do you supposed accounts for the 90 degree flipped textures? As part of that tutorial I had to use ShipEdit to rotate the model 90 degrees on the X axis.

E

ex-orbinaut

What do you supposed accounts for the 90 degree flipped textures? As part of that tutorial I had to use ShipEdit to rotate the model 90 degrees on the X axis.

The flipped textures are a UV coordinate issue, and nothing to do with the flipped axis. It can be fixed by manually going into the mesh file and modifying the UV coordinates (for each point!), but it is very long winded.

When you get around to it, the UVMapper utility (google for it if you have not got it already) can export obj 3D models made in Anim8or with the coordinates flipped as you like.

However, for the moment, the easiest and least time consuming solution is to flip your bitmaps for the textures accordingly before running them through DXTex.

Caption for your bunker? "Vanilla or strawberry, sir?" :lol: Just kidding! It is not bad, in fact. All the normals are flipped correctly, which is the most common problem when exporting to Orbiter. Well done!

Ark

Reaction score
So, open the .bmp and just rotate it 90 degrees (or 180 for the door texture) before feeding it back through DXTex and replacing the .dds textures?

Also, what's a normal?

EDIT: That texture is used on the back wall as well as the sides, and the rotation is correct there. Rotating the texture in bmp and reconverting it aligns the side textures, but also rotates the back wall texture.

Last edited:
E

ex-orbinaut

I see, it is one of those cases. UVMapper highly recommended for the desired results, and well worth the relatively small effort involved. A tutorial...

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2730"]Anim8or tutorial: How to model a rocket (Lesson 2)[/ame]

For your building, a box map would be adequate.