Request Any SLS and Orion MPCV in development?

Astro SG Wise

Future Orion MPCV Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.aesd.blogspot.com
Have you contemplated any other possible configurations and/or scenarios? Just saying 'cause...

Boeing makes a lot...

Yeah. I think the SLS Block II Cargo would be very useful because you can take much more weight farther into space. I have an idea for a Saturn landing mission. There would be an orbiter and a lander, but because the atmosphere of Saturn is so great, the observations of the lander probably would not escape it. With a heavy firepower SLS Block II Cargo, you can take much more weight, enough for the lander to return to space, at least long enough to send the information back to the orbiter. That is definitely an advantage to future exploration.

---------- Post added at 01:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 AM ----------

What do you mean Boeing? Are they making missions they won't compleete? Isn't it NASA's decision?

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
They're actually pitching potential science missions for SLS. They're actually doing a lot of conceptual work.

There's a PDF I saw somewhere (probably on this forum) with Boeing proposals, that's all it had in it. I'll try to find it...

EDIT: And Scruce found it.

Last edited:

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
I think you're referring to this document.

Yeah, that's it! :thumbup:

Also, Skylab I used CMG, as does the ISS. So it obviously has advantages. One being that you don't waste your propellant for attitude control. You're going to need at least three CMGs if you do use them at all.

Also, I found a few documents on Skylab II:

Skylab II

"SLS Derived Vertical Habitat": There's a Powerpoint in this one you'll have to download.

Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks. So how does one add/code CMG?

This is what I have so far.

SKYLAB2LUNARORBIT_zps1d6380e1.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71242599/SKLYLAB2.1.zip

We know the diameter is 8.4M but with radiators and solar panels you have to have wider fairing.

Last edited:

barrygolden

Reaction score
Hey gattis you might look at the Gateway Station to add to your SLS plans. It got a lot of looks by NASA as the replacement for the ISS

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This:[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploration_Gateway_Platform"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploration_Gateway_Platform[/ame]

Interesting. It seems a mixtures of this craft and that craft. Similar to the Centuri from Space 1999. in Which arms made from old saturn tubes.

Interesting the SkylabII in the PowerPoint is different. It has 4 ports (2 docking 2 Airlocks on the side.)

Last edited:

Astro SG Wise

Future Orion MPCV Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.aesd.blogspot.com
Just another picture of the habitat concept I made. Would Skylab II be a better option for a Mars mission?

picture.php

---------- Post added at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

Uses Solar Electric Propulsion.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Maybe or that Gateway station. Did you ever get your LTV scenario to work?

I think I am going to redo the mesh of the Skylab so the panels, radiators are all stored inside.

It looks like the flexcraft might fit inside or be docked to the aft?

skylab2a_zpsbfdcc182.jpg

Last edited:

orbitingpluto

Orbiteer
Reaction score
There's these two addons so you don't have to reinvent the wheel:

[ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5351"]CMG v2.0[/ame]

[ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5363"]CMGmesh v1.0[/ame]

The first is the actual CMG addon, the second has a mesh so you can use use it by itself(it was made to be used with Thorton's ISS, and uses a mesh from that addon for the CMG).

Now, even though CMGs don't need propellent themselves, in real life they can build up enough torque that they can't take any more, and need something to de-torque them to be useful again. Even though natural phenomenon like gravity gradients can be used to de-torque for 'free', a prop eating RCS can do the job as well, and when natural forces are unusable for whatever reason.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks. I will look at the CMG.

Ok. I have cut recesses for the radiators, panels, antenna.

newskylab_zpsff054f2c.jpg

I asked someone about the flexcraft and truss.
"The solar panel etc. are stored within the SLS cylindrical transition ring and deployed on orbit. Our DRO version of the Skylab Gen II does not show a truss section, but in either case, an airlock with docking provisions has both an axial and radial hatch, so the radial hatch would allow Flexcraft docking."

So the axial airlock is the aft and fore one. But radial hatch?

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
skylab2b_zpsb4cd4c25.jpg

Here is another version from the power point. It has 2 docks fore and side and 3 airlocks. So what is the differences in orbiter between an dock and airlock? I suspect the ports/airlocks are in front of the gray band in the aft.

I would think they would be on the center line to reduce spinning.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I may just do the front dock ring and use it for the 4 sides ones. Maybe remove the docking arms. As I imagine that would fold in for flight and open up in orbit?

Leave the rear one even thought it doesn't show it.

But should the side docks be centerline or back like the drawing?

Astro SG Wise

Future Orion MPCV Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.aesd.blogspot.com
skylab2b_zpsb4cd4c25.jpg

Here is another version from the power point. It has 2 docks fore and side and 3 airlocks. So what is the differences in orbiter between an dock and airlock? I suspect the ports/airlocks are in front of the gray band in the aft.

I would think they would be on the center line to reduce spinning.

On docks and airlocks. The dock is for the vehicle to attatch to it. The airlock is for EVA.

Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes But I wonder what they would look like? It looks like there is no aft dock just the front.

---------- Post added 11-26-14 at 07:53 AM ---------- Previous post was 11-25-14 at 01:05 PM ----------

Per request. On the tower I am reworking the arms so they will extend further. I know that it will not match the real one. As the arms will also translate up/down.

Not sure about beacons. I might do a lightning tower or 2.

I redid my Altair cargo and now it doesn't fly correctly at all :(

Not sure about what functions to add on the TriAthlete