Anyone into RC planes?

Omhra

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
For about a year now I have been flying RC.. It is so much fun. In that time I have accumulated a bunch of aircraft.. 10 to be precise. The collection is all scale and is all war-birds. 2 AT-6 Texans, 2 F4U Corsairs, Dassault Rafale, ME-109, sumbicro Sukhoi, F-35, P-40 and even a "wild-hawk modified into a more "real" plane And the flag ship my Giant P-51 mustang. Here are some videos.

I don't think I will ever stop flying... Today I filmed the P-40 (talked my wife into doing it) and I can post those later. And I also filmed my AT-^ going into a cloud... at sunset.. so beautiful. Enjoy,

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Very nice! I subbed to you! I've watched a few vids and I like them. I'll watch the rest next weekend when I get home again :)

You have some guts to fly in a highly populated area with... power lines? I'm assuming those planes are foamies, so slightly lighter then wooden planes and a bit slower... but still.

CigDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I've been flying for about 10 years now. I started with a piccolo helicopter, took me a few rebuilds but I started to get pretty good with it. I have a gws corsair, still with the nimh and brushed kit motor. It is underpowered, but still a good fun plane. I also have a blade mcx for flying in the house. I recently put a scale huey body on my blade CP Pro and really like having the full fuse while I'm flying, it just looks so much nicer than the pod and boom. Last weekend I maidened my 57" FMS P-51D. It is a bit big for the area I fly, but looks great in the air. the stock elevator servo doesn't seem up to snuff though so I had to be pretty gentle with it. Last one I have is a trex 450 clone that is about 90% assembled. It has been in my basement for a few months now. I need to get some dean's connectors for the speed control then I'll be able to get it set up and in the air.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Stock servo?! AAAAAAHHHHH *Runs around in panic and fear*

Take it from me, high torque, metal gear servos are the way to go. They cost 20 bucks and they keep your plane safe. I lost my aileron control servo on my trainer and crashed. Lost my throttle control servo in mid air a few weeks ago and had to circle around until it run out of fuel...

Really... avoid stock servos.

CigDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Yup, learned my lesson. Luckily it had enough control for easy flight, I just couldn't do any boom and zoom. Since I mainly fly the heli's I'll get propper servos in it once I get the 450 flying. It was my first airplane that came with servos, other than the little parkzone ones I have. I forgot to mention them, two great backyard fliers, a 3 ch citabria and 4ch sukhoi. the sukhoi is almost too much for my yard, but works. The citabria can almost fly in my 2 car garage :)

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'll be buying a 2.2 m wingspan Cessna 185. Would build it myself... but mom somewhat objects to building it on the balcony with all the dust, like I did for the DGIV.

Gonna get a 35 ccm petrol engine and some nice 8 kg servos...

Omhra

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I fly at a school nearby my house. Its roomier than it seems, only at landing its a little tight but so far, after 50+ flights there, no incidents.
I do have a video to upload that I filmed with an on-board micro-camera and there it shows the whole place. Filmed from both, the Texan and one of the Corsairs.
If I want to fly the larger planes I go to the modelers park where we have a runway and pits etc.. its 12 miles away tho... ugh

Brycesv1

Crash Test Expert
Reaction score
some cable and a servo controlled hook turned a twin rotor model into a nice towplane for my glider. went out to the black pavement parking lot and had some fun for the first sunny day in 2 weeks. took a bit of practice with my friend to get and keep the thing under control but in the end it was beautiful. if we get another good day soon ill do a recorded flight.

it does concern me a little bit that im tempted to rig up an F-16 as a towplane now though....:uhh:

note to self: the exhaust from a turbine F-16 is hot enough to not only shake a glider apart but melt most of its components. on the bright side. the flaming plastic debris dropplets looked really sick as they came down. i tried to imagine my plane got shot down by something :cheers:

Omhra

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
couple of videos with an on-board VCR.
I think on one of those I was around 1000 feet.. and believe it or not I have one that is higher still.. I will post it soon..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ-R6klrTU0"]YouTube- Camera onboard F4-U Corsair[/ame]

guitarist473

The UMMU that can play guitar
Reaction score
sorry i havent been posting for a while, im not gona bombard you with the various excusses. hows tha r/c DGIV coming along, as it got airbourne yet? my planes doin fine, flew it a couple of times, keep forgettin ma camera tho so no vids yet :(

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
I'm trying to get into RC planes but I can't seem to find an affordable trainer. Would I be better off starting with a wooden trainer or should I start with a foamy?

Darren

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
Start with foam as its easier to repair and can take more of a beating form the inevitable crash than wood can.

Have a look at some of the videos http://www.youtube.com/user/RCSuperPowers and see how easy foam is repair.

Last edited:

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Build your own wooden trainer. I build my own and have crashed it more times then I can count and it still flies. Foamies are like joining a Harly Davidson club and then riding a bicycle.

Also... nothing RC is cheap.

FSXHD

Heterotroph
Donator
Reaction score
I fly RC a bit. I have a Parkzone Radian that I fly at the local park and I used to have a Piper Cub, but it fell into disrepair after multiple prop shaft replacements and failed servos. I recently got a P-51 that I might maiden today.

catamaranman

Reaction score
I build and fly RC foamies or scratch-built, homeade planes (usually out of foam hence "foamies"). I started off trying to make an XR-2 but quickly decided that with the inward raked vertical stabilizers and the negative dihedral that it was going to take alot of input on the "R" without much "C" so I made it a DG...*sighs

---------- Post added at 01:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 AM ----------

Start with foam as its easier to repair and can take more of a beating form the inevitable crash than wood can.

Have a look at some of the videos http://www.youtube.com/user/RCSuperPowers and see how easy foam is repair.

He is absolutely right! Dave "super" Powers is one of the foam Gurus and be warned! If you start watching his videos it can result in a potentially expensive hobby!

---------- Post added at 01:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 01:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 AM ----------

I'd like to see your Wild Hawk Mods...you show me yours and I'll show you mine! (XD>

Last edited:

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
I have an RC plane lying around my basement. My neighbor bought it, and he just stopped using it at gave it to me. I have flown it a few times, it kinda ended when I crashed it into a tree :facepalm:

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I build and fly RC foamies or scratch-built, homeade planes (usually out of foam hence "foamies"). I started off trying to make an XR-2 but quickly decided that with the inward raked vertical stabilizers and the negative dihedral that it was going to take alot of input on the "R" without much "C" so I made it a DG...*sighs

Got pics? Here's my DGIV :)

DSC06417.JPG

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Not deep into RC flying, but somewhat into RC and UAV building.
In the past few months i was working on this thing:
pep-101017-1.jpg

( Some more on http://orbides.1gb.ru/pepela-gal.php?lng=eng )

A thing like that requires an interesting autopilot and control system, and guess what? It turned out nowhere as easy to make as one for Orbiter craft. :)
There is noise in the IMU, the motors are not perfect, the wind needs to be taken into account, etc.

No idea what to use it for, maybe will put a camera on board to take curious angles.

RisingFury said:
Here's my DGIV
You know you're addicted to Orbiter when... :)
Nice sp... plane.