Apollo 18

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Agreed, I too loved Armageddon, I never saw why people were nitpicking about it being unrealistic, I've never seen any action movie with complete realism, have you?

As far as I'm concerned, I don't dislike Armageddon for being unrealistic but because it could have been so much more. Bay had some terrific actors to work with like Bruce Willis and Billy Bob Thornton (who delivered some great stuff in Bandits), Steve Buscemi, William Fichtner, Peter Stormare... And didn't use them at all to even one hundredth of their potential. He even used Liv Tyler as mostly decoration and Liv Tyler is like marmalade: she has to be spread about in generous amounts.

Oh, and let's not forget Ben Affleck. Guy is better than some movies he made might suggest. Check out Chasing Amy.

The trouble with Armageddon was that I had forgotten most of it within seconds of getting out of the movies because, simply, there wasn't anything memorable about it and usually a movie with the opening narration spoken by Charlton Heston ought to be memorable. Mind you, I think Deep Impact was even worse because it tried to be serious but it was pure narm and it did have a stellar cast that was woefully underused.

Last edited:

orbekler

Reaction score
It has been done.

Yep... Another nazi-zombie exploitation movie.... :sick:

I meant in the sci-fi sense, the bell, nazi-Ufos, anti-gravity, time machine, etc.
Also in this way it's a exploitation movie, but the one that I could see without getting bored... :dry:

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Yep... Another nazi-zombie exploitation movie.... :s

What's the problem with nazi zombies? I think nazi zombies are awesome. Nazi zombies with jetpacks are even better.

The only thing that can out-awesome nazi zombies with jetpacks are Werewolf Women of the SS. I can't wait for that movie.

Keatah

Reaction score
I thought Deep Impact was rather flat. Asteroid (made for tv movie NBC-5) was better. But Meteor was the best, or perhaps it was because I was hard up for Natalie Wood at the time.

What other asteroid/meteor/comet impact movies were there?

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
This has to be the first place I have ever seen where people say Armageddon was better than Deep Impact. You have got to be kidding. Armageddon is just more Michael Bay horse manuere, it infuriates me how this sensory terrorist is allowed to helm productions. He should have been fired out of a cannon into the Sun after Pearl Harbor, and now thanks to him we have three Transformer movies.

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Well, Armageddon was a popcorn flick. Deep Impact was supposed to be a serious flick. Armageddon is a bad movie that succeeds at being bad, its biggest failure is not realism but the inability of the director to get something out of the cast. Deep Impact fails at being serious and also underuses its cast, which makes it the worst of the two.
Asteroid... Seen it on TV. Tons of fail there as well.

Now, there are bad movies and bad movies. There are bad movies which are just bad, and bad movies which are so bad that they're good. By this I mean that there is a bad way to be good and a good way to be bad and... Er, OK: most stuff by Antonio Margheriti (aka Anthony B. Dawson) is bad but is good as well. So are many exploitation movies. But it's one thing to do a movie that's just supposed to be fun and making a movie that's supposed to be serious.

cljohnston

Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
It looks like they're trying to achieve the look of From the Earth to the Moon, but some'n else is bugging me: I don't hear the background hum of the fans from the life-support system in either the LM interior or the comms from inside the suits.
That's one of those little subliminal details that makes a big difference to me in terms of realism.

bujin

Reaction score
I'm afraid I'm in the "Armageddon is awful" camp too.

I know it wasn't trying to get the science right, but it just gets so many basic things wrong that it totally destroys any suspension of disbelief for me.

barcode

Reaction score
OK I'll admit it, I'm actually looking forward to this movie. I'm not too bothered by technical and scientific inaccuracy, if the end result is entertaining I'll usually let that kind of thing slide.

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
I'm going to see this tommorow, have to say I am looking forward to it!

Columbia42

Reaction score
I think the premise of a classified moon mission has merit as a movie plot but as usual the makers of Apollo 18 are pretty off-base as far as believability. Concealing an Apollo-style mission from the public would be a conspiracy of incredible proportions which I doubt could be feasibly carried out. Much more believable would be something similar to the lunar Gemini scheme once considered by NASA as a possibility for rescuing stranded Apollo astronauts. A mission like that would be much more low-key and could possibly be concealed as part of a classified military/DoD program.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It will start on October 13th in Germany. Good, that way I can read your opinions before...

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
I think the premise of a classified moon mission has merit as a movie plot but as usual the makers of Apollo 18 are pretty off-base as far as believability.
Of course, most people are gullable enough to believe in anything with special effects.

Keatah

Reaction score
None of these movies, Armageddon, Apollo 18, and so on are supposed to be 100% believable. They are not historical documentaries. They are for entertainment. :facepalm: