Apollo 18

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
They don't attempt to explain anything about it including how/when the Russians got there,

The movie plays on the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_cosmonaut"]Lost USSR Cosmonaut[/ame] conspiracy thoery, read up on that and you will understand why the Soviets were there.

what anyone knew beforehand about what was on the moon

There are planned sequels to this movie.

why the secret mission was attempted, why the NASA, the US military

Anderson & Walker were discussing this with Houston, Did'nt you hear?

It turns out that the government suspected there were aliens on the moon; they just needed to confirm it, which was the purpose of the whole mission. Needless to say, none of the astronauts were told about this. The Early Warning Detectors were actually jamming devices preventing contact between the CSM and LM.

the Russian space agency and Russian military were evidently cooperating with regards to what was found on the moon.

When did anyone say that?

Mantis

Reaction score
The movie plays on the Lost USSR Cosmonaut conspiracy thoery, read up on that and you will understand why the Soviets were there.

Interesting....never heard of that.

Anderson & Walker were discussing this with Houston, Did'nt you hear?

Yes the questioned Huston about it but again, it was in the context of recovered footage. It wasn't any type of effort to explain it.

It turns out that the government suspected there were aliens on the moon; they just needed to confirm it, which was the purpose of the whole
mission. Needless to say, none of the astronauts were told about this.

That is certainly how it appears. Again, they didn't editorialize or come out and explain that - it was gleaned from the "recovered footage" of the astronauts.

The Early Warning Detectors were actually jamming devices preventing contact between the CSM and LM.

that is correct.

When did anyone say that?

They didn't but they didn't have to. How else would the Russians, within seconds, get the US deputy secretary of defence on the line?

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Oh no, I had a feeling that would be the case. :dry:

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
They didn't but they didn't have to. How else would the Russians, within seconds, get the US deputy secretary of defence on the line?

In the 1950's a direct hotline between the White House and the Kremlin was installed, all you had to do was pick up the phone and someone from the opposing power would be on the other end. In this case; RKK Energia plant, Koryolev, USSR and The DoD in Washington D.C.

Mantis

Reaction score
In the 1950's a direct hotline between the White House and the Kremlin was installed, all you had to do was pick up the phone and someone from the opposing power would be on the other end. In this case; RKK Energia plant, Koryolev, USSR and The DoD in Washington D.C.

That's a bit of a stretch!:lol: That hotline connected the White House to the Kremlim and did not involve the space centres!

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
That's a bit of a stretch!:lol: That hotline connected the White House to the Kremlim and did not involve the space centres!

Don't the Cosmodromes (Baikonur, Pletesk, Koryolev etc.) answer to the Kremlin, like the DoD to the White House?

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score

How do you know? And what would be the point, after reading what happens in the end?

---------- Post added at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 PM ----------

Dick Gordan "Apollo 18" pseudo-poster:

tumblr_lqywawb2Hd1qiw6uro1_400.jpg

ghostrunner01

Reaction score
I want to go watch it. I know its fake (you can't cover up the launch of a Saturn V) but it looks cool.

orbekler

Reaction score
Ok, let's imagine that there was a secret mission on the moon.

Only a pair of questions:
1) why Apollo 11-17 survived to the alien rocks/spiders (supposed to be everywhere on moon soil)?
2) did they have to wait until Apollo 18 for a secret mission?

Conspiracy within conspiracy...

Pinguinboy

50.000 years old lifeform
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Ok, let's imagine that there was a secret mission on the moon.

Only a pair of questions:
1) why Apollo 11-17 survived to the alien rocks/spiders (supposed to be everywhere on moon soil)?
2) did they have to wait until Apollo 18 for a secret mission?

Conspiracy within conspiracy...

1. Maybe those parasites only live on specific places?
2. Because if one of the 11-17 Apollo's would fail, the NASA would get negative critique. Because Apollo 18 in the movie was covered up, only NASA personnel would know.

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
How do you know? And what would be the point, after reading what happens in the end?

So, the crew are all dead. But that does not mean that the CSM and LK-A are in orbit, the LM and LK-B are still on the Moon's surface. These are what the sequel(s) will include. Who said the sequels involve the AS-513 crew. There might be Apollo 19?

I know because I read all the press releases and commentary.

Last edited:

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well, if they do waste their time making a sequel, they won't be wasting mine again.

Jumpin' Jesus, I can't remember the last time I saw such a bad movie. The hardware was reasonbly believable, but between the lifeless, listless acting, the stilted dialog, unimaginative story and yet another tired retread of the "lost" footage presentation, it's just a total waste of film.

I'd look forward to changing a diaper more than I'd look forward to a sequel...and for pretty much the same reson. They're both full of :censored:

statisticsnerd

Reaction score
Okay, I just got back from seeing Apollo 18 and I must say it all looked very realistic. I'm convinced that is what actually happened.

Last edited:

Unstung

Reaction score
Okay, I just got back from seeing Apollo 18 and I must say it all looked very realistic. I'm convinced that is what actually happened.
If that convinced you, this post convinced me that Uranians are gullible.

Nazban

Reaction score
Not sure if someone posted this earlier:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/apollo_18/reviews/?type=top_critics

Some of my favourite ones on it:
Boredom sets in long before the last muted shriek. And who cares about the astros? We never get to know them anyway.

Apollo 18 fails to stay with you because, like the cratered satellite on which it's set, it has no atmosphere.

Has no thrills, no chills, no scares and contains a villain, or several of them, actually, that will turn you to stone -- from boredom.

Reconfirms that most entries in the "found-footage" horror subgenre should remain lost.

and seeing as so far its got a 3.5/10, i may just wait for the dvd to come out.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hehe, Seth Shostak reviewing Apollo-18... What was that Oscar Wilde said about the English gentleman doing fox hunting?

The English country gentleman galloping after a fox - the unspeakable in full pursuit of the uneatable.

Columbia42

Reaction score
I just saw the movie and was rather disappointed for all of the reasons previously stated. I'd say the most unrealistic scene was the descent to the lunar surface. I mean, it was taken straight out of the Apollo 11 radio transcript ("1201 program alarm," etc.) Also, the radio transmissions were very strange, they all echoed in a way that the actual Apollo transmissions did not. Another very disappointing thing was the acting (or lack thereof.) The "astronauts" behaved nothing like any of the Apollo astronauts do in the real footage.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Just saw it. It was good and most of the tech was accurate. For me it did what it set out to do; be entertaining.

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
seeing as so far its got a 3.5/10, i may just wait for the dvd to come out.

Then RENT it...don't buy it. You don't want to encourage them to seriously consider a sequel. Definitely in the Top 5 worst movies ever made.