ARC Near-Space Balloon

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Ok, time for a status update. The SPOT tracker has arrived, and we have a payload enclosure for our camera and SPOT tracker. Our launch window closes the week before Easter, which is spring break for us. We found that we need to post a NOTAM before launch, something most people apparently don't do. Hopefully, we'll be able to get a time slot nailed down soon.
:cheers:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
UPDATE!

Update time!
Payload module is almost complete, and the parachute has been readied. We are looking at the calendar and trying to pick a date and location, and we need to file the NOTAM ASAP, so if anyone knows how long they take, let me know.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
UPDATE!

We have a go for launch!
Our plan is to launch this Saturday at about 9 am local. we are using a Kaymont 600 gram balloon and a 4-foot parachute to launch and recover our camera and SPOT tracker. Right now, the payload masses a meager 500 grams, so our deflated balloon actually weighs more than the payload and parachute combined! :lol: needless to say, we are going to be adding some ballast to make it drop faster. Our goal is 19 km, or about 65000 feet. Helium used: 292.2 ft^3. That's over a K bottle worth of helium, which ain't cheap!
Anyways, wish us luck, and :hailprobe: frequently starting at 1600 UTC and going until about 1900 UTC!

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Nice to hear that, good luck! Where is the launch site? Maybe we can have a "guess where it lands" contest on O-F :p

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Launch point is still up in the air (pun intended). ;) We're still watching the weather.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
OK, we are GO for launch!
launch site: 38.5618*N, 121.9712*W.
Launch time: 1700 UTC (9 am local)
payload: 1028 grams of styrofoam, camera, SPOT tracker, parachute, and steel rod ballast.
balloon: kaymont 600 gram.
Parachute: 48" Rocketchute

I will post the landing coordinates tomorrow night.

jonmatifa

Reaction score
I've participated in three launches and have only recovered one balloon, the problem has been inadequate tracking. The tracking solution that appeals to me the most is trackuino, http://www.trackuino.org/ I'm currently building one...

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Yeah, we had problems with the SPOT Tracker, so we scrubbed the launch. retry will be one week later.

NovaSilisko

The Siliskoiest of Siliskos
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm tempted to attempt to build one to send up and capture footage of the upcoming solar eclipse - normally, the eclipse would be below the horizon, but with a camera at the edge of space...

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
When is that eclipse? If it's a Saturday, or if it's after the 16th, I might be able to talk the club into trying for that. (no guarantees about after finals, though. they may be scattered to the four winds after next Thursday :p)

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Mission update: FAILURE.

Well, we tried to launch today, down at Napa, CA. Little windy, but we were not concerned at first. However, as we filled the balloon with 292.2 ft^3 of helium, it started to get dicey, but we pressed on. The GPS worked fine, the camera was rolling, and the balloon was finally filled after 20 minutes of work. We tied it shut, and tied a 5-foot line to the balloon. This was then tied through a steel clip that connected to a line sewn to the parachute, which then supported the payload with a radar reflector beneath that. With this all ready to go, we began letting out line to make sure we had no sudden jerk as it launched.
Then, Murphy, the dark aspect of the :probe:, decided to arrive.

The clip snapped.

The balloon took off like the proverbial bat outta hell, jiggling like a soap bubble as it ascended. It continued to ascend and move northwest in our sight for almost twenty minutes, visible due to the about 9 foot diameter at launch.

Good news, though: We didn't lose the payload, parachute, or any other expensive gear; just the balloon and five feet of nylon cord.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
awh, that is terrible Mav. Not the sort of conclusion any of us were hoping for you. Hope you guys give it another go.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
That's unfortunate. At least the really hard to replace things survived.