Search Ares V

Pablo49

Reaction score
Okay, sounds good then. Here is everything. A readme is in there which covers what old textures are useless now and such.

Attachments

• Ares V Textured.zip
    673 KB · Views: 10

Columbia42

Reaction score
Thanks Pablo. The textures are great except there are a few problems. The USA logo on the core stage is upside down and the core stage thrusters don't have any textures. Also, the EDS is not quite white enough to match the fairings. If you could fix these things, that would be awesome.

Pablo49

Reaction score
Okay, I'll take a look when I get home later tonight. Easy fix.

Pablo49

Reaction score
When you get the chance, can I get the new msh files? So I can compare their colors in orbiter a little closer. EDIT: I fixed those textures and I found out why the whites weren't matching, so that's fixed too. Not sure why the stage two engines aren't being textured for you. So I'll wait until I can get the new meshes to experiment with it in the Orbiter environment.

Last edited:

Pablo49

Reaction score
Okay, thanks. I'll get this all finished up for you tonight, I assume.

EDIT: I finished, the zip is attached. I fixed what you mentioned and also adjusted a few other things. The meshes have been changed, so overwrite with these. When I used the core mesh you gave me in orbiter, it was offset down too low. So I edited the AresV multistage file to correct for this. I'm not sure if this was only an issue on my end or not, so if it is working fine for you, then just ignore the included ini. I never used the 3ds you gave me, so that's why it isn't in this zip. Readme explains what to overwrite and what to delete etc.

Also, Action shot: ;)

Attachments

• Ares V fixed textures.zip
    725.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

cymrych

The Probe abides
Donator
Reaction score
Pablo - Looks great! I don't see any issues on my end, but not being very good with textures, that may not mean too much.

Columbia - Yep, had a brain lapse the other evening. I think I was trying to get multistages into scenario editor, forgetting that its sp3 that offers a work around to get them recognized, not multi.

Got a quick question for you. When researching the Altair, did it make any reference to the cockpit orientation? In your model, pilot faces main vector of thrust, so that when landed, he's facing skyward. I only ask because after much experimenting on lunar landing, such an orientation seems like a collosal pain in the keyster, not being able to see the ground and all!

Otherwise, a full lunar mission flies well, lift-off to splash-down, except for some difficulty in getting the Altair-ascent stage to not re-dock and try to drag the descent stage into orbit too. First lift-off, I'm cursing my 'puter, wondering why the h**l I wasn't building up velocity ... then I took an external look, lol. 10k up, pushing the descent stage right along for the ride!

Pablo49

Reaction score
Cymrych, you should try giving the ascent stage a little bit of thrust before undocking. Then you'll float away before you can redock.

cymrych

The Probe abides
Donator
Reaction score
Yep, that's what a did on second try. First time around, I had the sound turned too low and didn't hear hubbub of docking, so it caught me by surprise.

I've been trying to figure out if the viewing direction can be changed on sp3's. It seems like the Altair will be similar to Apollo LM, in that pilots stand, looking forward, in perpendicular to thrust. I see a "Camera" line in sp3, but that seems to be just the x,y,z coords for where the camera is.

I wonder ... is it set up in the dll that the view direction is always towards the main-engine line of flight? If so, what would happen if we eliminate the main (or give it zero thrust), and rewrite them as hovers?

Columbia42

Reaction score
The sp3.dll always points the camera toward the Z+ of the mesh. I've thought about giving the lander hover thrust instead of main thrust but I found that it was a pain in the neck to slowly throttle up and down as you have to with hover thrust. It really skews your landing.

Columbia42

Reaction score
Here's the newest beta: View attachment 4376
Make sure to check the Readme file for required addons cause some stuff has changed there.

Now there is just one more thing to do before this addon can be released. I've been thinking about it, and the Ares V is not just a lunar mission rocket. In fact, a lunar mission is its secondary objective. This rocket's primary mission is to bring cargo to the space station. In the intrest of being realistic, I think we should include a cargo variant of the rocket. Does anyone have any idea what this configuration would look like?

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I think I saw a graphic of it some time ago. But that was waaaaay back.

Pablo49

Reaction score
I've never seen anything about the Ares V being used to supply the ISS, actually. Only vague statements about how it could be used for crago in general and launching a proposed telescope to the Earth-Sun L2 point.

Also, you can remove "EDS.dds" next time you zip up the beta. It's old and isn't used.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=1957"]NASA VSE SC v1.0[/ame]

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=1298"]SRB Launcher (SC) v1.0[/ame]

I've played around with both of these add-ons. They've been lots of fun. Perhaps the author could be contacted and we could work these meshes in? The ATV should be worth a look at least.

cymrych

The Probe abides
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah, I've been wondering this too. Afterall, the current architecture indicates that there will be other variants for cargo needs for lunar base construction, etc.

I'd imagine the EDS, or a 2nd stage derived from it at any rate, will always be there, but in shortened form for missions never leaving LEO. That would free up space and mass for boosting new modules or whatever to orbit. Likewise, the fairing could likely be lengthened or shortened to fit payload needs. My guess is that on the pad, it'd basically look the same.

I'll see what a web scavenger hunt turns up:cheers:

Pablo49

Reaction score
For the Lunar Outpost at least, I believe it's using the standard EDS, just with a different payload. Or that's what my readings have implied.

Submariner

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I downloaded the new beta and I crash loading the launch scenario. It worked great before,and I was really excited to try the update. I'm guessing its because I don't use hi-res KSC. Do you HAVE to make it required? I have no intention of using hi-res KSC, can you make a version for the default KSC, like it was using before? I have been waiting for this addon for so long, and I love it.