Search Ares V

Columbia42

Reaction score
In preperation for the final release I have a few questions:
1. Does the Altair lander or the Orion CEV make the lunar orbit insertion during a normal lunar mission?
2. About how much fuel does that take up?
3. During a lunar cargo delivery mission, how much fuel does the modifed Altair use up when it preforms the lunar orbit insertion?
4. Has anyone tried landing on the moon with the cargo variant of the Altair and if so, how has it worked out?

I'm asking these questions because I really don't have the Orbiter experience to do a "by the book" lunar mission with this addon.

Pablo49

Reaction score
I do know the Altair makes the insertion burn.
I think I used about 20% of my fuel, but I didn't pay attention to it closely at the time.

Pablo49

Reaction score
No, I haven't yet. I'll run through a normal lunar and a cargo lunar mission and note all the numbers for you.

simcosmos

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
simcosmos.planetaclix.pt
In preperation for the final release I have a few questions:

(...)

I'm asking these questions because I really don't have the Orbiter experience to do a "by the book" lunar mission with this addon.

Hi Columbia42:

I'm not sure how to answer your questions given that in a previous post you mentioned that were not interested in a realistic simulation.

Please understand that I'm only trying here to provide constructive feedback and nothing else beyond that!

In that spirit – and please feel free to say so (or any other thread participant) if not wanting this kind of feedback from me - I would also mention that, in my humble opinion, it does not make much sense to try to replicate a conceptual launcher / spacecraft / mission design ‘by the book’ if those numbers are not as well implemented as they could perhaps be.

Some very generic comments and examples:

1. A rocket launcher or a spacecraft (independently if it is in real life or in virtual world) results – in a better or lesser degree - from the application of the rocket equation: this means that the implementation of physical parameters (masses, thrusts, rates of consumption, jettison events timing, etc) needs to be as correct as possible (given implementation method constraints or objectives) and also need to take in account a number of 'ground rules' (regarding ascent trajectory and mission design) if then wanting to also use the corresponding ascent trajectory and overall mission data (either expected data for conceptual designs or historical data) as source to obtain similar as possible performances to what would be expected...

… Else, focusing again in virtual world, the rocket might be at a given altitude / velocity / attitude which could even be equal to the expected theoric trajectory but might be doing so with properties that might not correspond to the expected properties for that moment (and that could bring impacts to simulation results for the whole mission unless other parts of the mission implementation use less realistic parameters to overcome performance losses, etc…)

Not sure if I'm being able to explain very well or if the readers find these considerations useful or not (?)…

2. Trying to be slightly more specific, if not taking in account sea level to vacuum thrust transitions and also, in some degree, the rate at the propellants are consumed, then the simulation might be impacted.

Another example are parameters such as maxQ: by default, nothing happens in Orbiter if maxQ for a given vehicle is not respected but, in real life, that would be catastrophic. Simulation of such constraints as well as trying to implement as best as possible other ascent constraints (related with pitch commands, etc) brings impacts to final performance results.

Another specific example is the payload fairings simulation: please note that I haven't installed the latest beta (just looking at some INIs and sometimes comparing to stuff that have in my own older development archives about the topic) but, for example, AresVbeta20100403 is suffering a performance impact because the total mass of the fairings is implemented as being 36400 kg! (the mass number that should be implemented in multistage.dll is the mass of each fairing part which is then multiplied by the number of parts). This to say that if wanting to simulate a four part 9.1t PLF then the number should be 2275 kg.

Also do not understand other numbers, for example, the EDS numbers if assuming that the wish is to simulate the AresV design iteration known as LV51.00.48 (?). The EDS empty masses seem to be low and significantly vary with the EDS role (even taking in account that the boil-off reduction kit would not be present on Cargo Only variant, need to check).
The J-2X main thrust is also lower than what is expected: independently of TLI using a lower thrust setting (~85%) if implementing such setting as the maximum ‘Orbiter’ value then this means that, during ascent to LEO, there will be performance loss (this might be compensated by lower dry masses but – again just my opinion – a better way of doing the simulation would be to use the expected masses and, for TLI, use an alternative method of controlling the thrust level)

3. Similar comments could be written about the lander implementation: if wanting to make a 'by the book' mission of the conceptual mission profiles that were expected (Orion+Altair for Outpost or Sortie missions or Cargo Only missions) then, always depending of the addon objectives, it might be advisable to do a better research of the required numbers for the launcher and spacecraft components vs mission design / constraints vs how to better use implementation method features.

Conclusion:

Ending as started, not sure if my post meets this addon objectives or not: only trying to provide some constructive feedback IF the objective is to use Vinka's generic dlls as best as possible to simulate the concepts and, in the end, fly expected mission profiles 'by the book'.

Would also like to note that have committed some errors and/or what could be called of ‘playability / creative liberties’ during the making of some of my first / earlier public addons (in particular on the really outdated NASA VSE SC v1.0 and SRB Launcher V1.0, there is some improved stuff that was not able to release yet): some things we only learn with practice, reading and, again, lots of practice. But again, it all depends of addon objectives and implementation context.

My apologies in advance if misunderstood the current beta implementation method, objectives or context. Just decided to use a little of my time to hopefully write something that could be useful for this addon project.

Happy development,
António

Last edited:

Columbia42

Reaction score
First of all, I am trying to make as realistic an addon as possible here however there are some things that are just not simulatable in Orbiter. As for the rocket's preformance, it is possible to do a lunar mission with this addon as envisioned by the people who designed Constellation. The only reason I have not flown an entire mission is that I lack the expertise. My questions are merely for the purpose of
1) to create a scenario where the Orion and Altair (or just the Altair cargo variant) are orbiting the moon and have the accurate amounts of fuel in their tanks.
2) I have tried landing on the moon with the cargo variant of Altair with mixed results and I wanted to check my figures with someone who has more experience at this than I do.

As for your claims that my numbers are wrong for the rocket/eds/lander, I got them from Cymrych in his "Analysis of Documented 09 Ares V" that is in a previous post. If you have different numbers I'd like to hear them but in case you haven't noticed, my rocket works fine and can follow the "real" mission profile extremely accurately.

Also, if you use the rocket's autopilot it does take into account sea level vs. vac thrust.

BTW, thanks for noticing the fairing problem. I must've missed that.

Submariner

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I say its great! If it works, it works. I wouldn't worry too much about realism or correct numbers, after all, the vehicle doesnt even EXIST. And perhaps, never will.

Simcosmos, are you going to update your Ares I launcher to work with Francisdrake's Oi version of the CEV? It sure would be nice to have a complete constellation package with multistage autopilots.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Well, I don't have much time to experiment, but while I've had some time today I took the Cargo varient to the moon. It got hairy in a few places, I wasn't sure I had enough fuel/power to slow down to make lunar orbit (I did manage). And the landing was weird (love that quicksave), with LOLA the lander overshot the landing site, and the engines wouldn't shut down until I used the scenario editor to empty the fuel tanks. Tried it again manually, landed smooth (but still missed the landing site). "Magically" moved to where I wanted, again w/ scenario editor.
All in all, not too bad. I'm a little rusty due to homeowner/dad/honey-do duties, but I'm sure I'll get my skills back soon enough.

Columbia42

Reaction score
So the amount of thrust was okay? I added a significant amount of cargo (and therefore fuel) to the lander and was wondering if I would need to increase the thrust. Now that that's out of the way I think we're almost ready for a final release.

---------- Post added at 12:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 AM ----------

BTW, how much fuel did you use for the lunar orbit insertion with the cargo variant of the lander?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
The thrust was fine, plenty of DeltaV to reach the moon. After the TLI burn I had 3% remaining. The thing that kept me on the edge of my chair was using the lander to slow down and land. I didn't think I had enough power to circularize a lunar orbit and then land, so I didn't try. I guess it was a "Direct" lunar landing? I"ll try again tomorrow and see if I can remember to log how much fuel remains in the lander after touchdown.
If anyone is a whizz enough with IMFD, perhaps they could write a checklist for an off-plane transfer to the moon with orbit insertion and base approach? I'd make it much easier. With IMFD I'm more lucky than good, I've been successful, but it normally involves lots of quicksaves, followed by lots of bad language.

Pablo49

Reaction score
I still haven't gotten the chance to try the cargo lander yet. I should tonight or tomorrow though. Is the weight of the cargo about the same as Orion? That would seem logical, but I haven't checked. I used IMFD to get to the moon before with Orion/Altair and everything went smoothly. I was able to insert into a nice lunar orbit, assuming it's a similiar amount of mass on the end of Altiar as the cargo version, preformance should be similar.

Columbia42

Reaction score
It's not the same amount of mass. If I put Orion's mass on top of the descent stage of the lander the Ares V wouldn't be able to get it into orbit. What I did do is that since the EDS didn't need all that fuel that would have been required to do a TLI burn with Orion attached, I got rid of some of the EDS's fuel and used the lessened weight to put more cargo on the Altair.

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 PM ----------

BTW, PhantomCruiser, could you post a .scn with the landed Altair cargo version so that I can see where your landing site is?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Will do, it may take a while... I'm on a different computer.
But it's the Copernicus crater that's available on the 'Hanger.

OK, here you go... After a manual TLI using transfer MFD I departed LEO to the moon with 3.4% fuel remaining in the EDS. I used the remaining fuel for a course correction and a slight plane change to line me up better for an approach to the Copernicus crater. Then I dumped the EDS.

My burn to be captured into lunar orbit went awry (I waited too long to start the burn), wound up with a wildly eccentric orbit, on the next go around the burn went as planned and I settled into a nice circular orbit with an ApA of 46Km, with very little Ecc, fuel was 75%.

Quicksaved!!! Tried both UAP and LOLA to recover, neither worked very well, but LOLA had a better braking manuever, it just went crazy on final approach. Deactivated LOLA quickly enough that I could recover manually and set down with 28% fuel remaining.

Here's the .scn that you asked for. Like I said though, you'll need to download the crater and modify it for Orbiter '06. It looks great though.

Attachments

• (Current state).scn
    2.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

simcosmos

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
simcosmos.planetaclix.pt
Hi Columbia42 (and everybody),

Please allow me a few extra comments and then I will try to shut up if we both find out that my feedback is not useful for your addon objectives, ok? I would please ask for a little of patience though: this resulted in a kind of long post but believe it might be essential to explain / understand some things.

I. Cymrych’s "Analysis of Documented 09 Ares V"

Cymrych’s "Analysis of Documented 09 Ares V” is an interesting reading, at least from the good perspective of presentation of the logic method and the goal of trying to search for parameters that lead to a better AresV LV.51.00.48 implementation in Orbiter.

For what is worth, I partially agree with something that is written there: the way NASA presents information is not very clear sometimes but, on the other hand, from a first reading, I get the impression that Cymrych’s document is also based on personal interpretations of scattered data (please someone or Cymrych’s himself feel free to correct if that is not the case)…

… With that in mind, I do not quite agree with the tone of the document (although that is only an informal document): there are several points raised on that document where answers for some of those valid questions are publicly available online and, beyond that, there are also other places with more complete starting assumptions and data sets (would need to check)…

Please note that I’m not saying that even with extra data I do not have any doubts interpreting such information (far from that!): only saying that there is more stuff out there regarding not only AresV LV51.00.48 conceptual configuration data but also regarding several other key Constellation elements and mission design assumptions and ground rules… Some of such information is prepared and displayed in a less technical way for easier generic reading, other documents are prepared with more detail (it depends of context!)…

… All available Constellation information is (was) a work in progress and is (supposedly was) interlinked just like addon components need to be interlinked to work as a coherent whole. An addon developer probably needs to search for, study and keep in the back of his/her mind most of that information if wanting to implement coherent ‘by the book’ missions based on official data (even if such implementation is just first order and / or has implementation constraints, again, depending also of the context and objectives surrounding the addon implementation vs things so down to Earth as free time to develop the addon or level of ‘playability’ / ‘creative liberty’ vs intended final orbinaut profile). This to say that some of that information, if used, would most probably make Cymrych to consider a fresh look at the AresV analysis.

On a side note, it would be nice if we could all be in the same geographic area and gather all weekends to discuss Orbiter addon development and astronautics related topics. Unfortunately that is not quite possible and I do not wish to refute or provide alternative opinions, point by point, about Cymrych’s document as well do not wish to do so also because, in the end, this has to do with addon implementation strategies and goals: there are several key differences regarding how I – knowing what know today / my current ‘skills’ - would eventually implement something like AresV LV51.00.48 vs some of this addon’s thread choices and strategies.

My intended role here is then more aimed to provide useful help / feedback (if there is the wish for it!) to, in my opinion, improve the current state of AresV implementation (what each addon author makes with the same starting data in terms of addon implementation, documentation and packaging is what makes each addon special and, obviously, I do not really wish to interfere on that creation process beyond providing the generic feedback!).

Nevertheless, will still share here a little part of what I was using on my more than one year old development files regarding AresV LV51.00.48. In particular, will leave here the motor and engine specs from official single source (non-scattered) conceptual data regarding one LV51.00.48 iteration (nevermind about the four decimal places):

5.5 seg. SRB:
16654141.7275 N, 275.7s ISP (vac.)
(operational burn time: ~116.4s)

RS-68B (108%):
3122896.2261 N, 364.9s ISP (sl)
3545232.6274 N, 414.2s ISP (vac.)
(core operational burn time: 303s)

J-2X:
1307777.1549 N, 448s ISP (vac)
(dual thrust mode: 81%, 449s for TLI)

What to do with this data?

Well, it now depends how the data is implemented: on my development files powered by Vinka’s multistage2.dll I usually use the vacuum maximum thrust / ISP levels and the totality of the propellant load to calculate the burn duration requested by the generic dll (do not confuse this with operational burn time: the burn time that multistage2.dll asks might or not be equal to the operational burn time, depending of how things are implemented!).

To simulate sea level to vacuum transitions with multistage2.dll I roughly assume a +/- linear transition from 0km to at least ~30km altitude or so by using thrust commands in the guidance file (this for liquid stages, edit: or else for something like AresI first stage). Also try to keep at least 1% for FPR (Flight Performance Reserves) / Residuals on liquid stages (such as the AresV core) by shaping trajectory and commanding engines cut-off MET. Other addon authors might prefer to make such FPR/Residuals mass to be part of ‘dry’ masses and recalculate all based on mission propellant, etc. For the last active stage / service module sometimes might even simulate the FPR / Residuals at 0.5% (assuming the context of an operational design, depending how badly the extra performance need is) up to ~2.3% (if wanting to really protect for performance reserves while being farther away from Earth)

For the boosters case, it depends of the nature of the booster… In these large solid side boosters cases I use multistage2.dll thrust curve function to model the thrust variation together with a jettison command on the guidance file. Only as side note, the generic shapes of the thrust curve for 4 segment SRB and 5 segment SRB variants can be found online (I even shared a rough demonstration / preliminary graphic from simcosmos development archives in one past post in these forums, it should not be hard to find the related thread/post/context by using my forum profile or the search function).

The 5.5 segment SRB specific case seems to be a bit different though… the conceptual design assumptions for these more 'recent' AresV iterations were a bit more ‘aggressive’ and, just by looking at available solid prop. plus expected separation moment, etc, the thrust curve seems to not have as much variations as in the STS or as the variations displayed in the thrust curves of several 5 seg. SRB design iterations!!! This is what it takes to lift such huge core and all above it (LV51.00.48 monster core length seems to be practically equal or greater than SaturnV first and second stages total length).

Having shared all this, in one of my AresV LV51.00.48 INI development files, the Thrust to Weight values at lift-of is ~1.36 (with guidance commanding the 6 RS-68B to ~88% and the booster thrust curve starting at ~92% at lift-off). I have provided the numbers and implementation method above mostly to share an alternative perspective to what is written on Cymrych’s "Analysis of Documented 09 Ares V".

II. Regarding the trajectory or the overall mission simulation: will reiterate that the simple fact of being able to replicate a conceptual or historical trajectory in Orbiter simulator or of being able to fully simulate global mission objectives (such as, in this case, do TLI and landing on the Moon and return, etc) is not, by itself, a guarantee that the data is well implemented (or as well implemented as could perhaps be). On another hand, it is also true that there are several methods (with each method also having more or less limitations that can sometimes be worked around) that could end up by giving similar results… But we would then enter again on a discussion about implementation objectives / methods.

III. Implementation objectives / methods

Columbia42, I'm aware that this might be a boring reading but sincerely hope you more clearly understand the nature of my posts and why tried to ask about what your addon objectives were. If the objective is to have a launcher 3D model that resembles an AresV conceptual iteration and if the objective is to be able to deliver Constellation spacecraft to LEO, make all docks and undockings of a lunar mission (for the crewed missions) and then return home then that is a good and valid objective as any!

However, if the objective is to also go slightly beyond that and do all those steps in a more realistic way (even despite some constraints of the cool Vinka generic dlls) - and by realistic I mean with the stages having expected ‘dry’ masses (in multistage.dll / spacecraft ‘language’ these would not really be the dry masses sometimes) - and if the objective is to (try to) have mission components containing propellant amounts, engine parameters, etc very similar to the expected numbers from specific official design iterations and related conceptual data for a given mission elapsed time then my preliminary opinion is that some numbers – as were implemented on beta20100403 - might not be in accordance with the specific designs that seem to be the goal of the simulation (again, part of any addon development is also the result of research work and learning about related topics). In addition, and globally writing, nowadays there is a lot more detailed information about Constellation Requirements (CARD), Hardware Development, Conceptual Brainstorms and Mission Modes than existed a few years ago.

IV. Further Feedback Notes:

Because this is already a long post, I will not do an exhaustive list of things that could eventually be corrected or improved but will try to provide some generic feedback regarding areas that might need better study IF the goal is to then implement more realistic designs and do Constellation Missions by the book (unless there is the desire to departure from official data or not bother with some of those details vs a given impact on realism for a first addon version vs 'playability' --> I made the same on some of my first public works, which hope to one day delete / update as needed).

Moving on, there is lot of Altair lander information available online (think that some info / link was already shared in this thread? so will not repost that): please have a look at the Altair.INI of beta20100403. Very low dry mass for descent stage (only 2510 kg for a total propellant load of 34535 kg!… ~465s ISP for the engines… that would be something like an RL-10-B2!, etc): these parameters are incorrect.

Please look also at the Altair_Ascent.ini (Just 666 kg empty mass!, FUEL_MASS=7289…. , ~465s ISP for the ascent stage engine… which was baselined as *hypergolic* = would need to have a much lower ISP, etc…).

About Altair_LunarCargVariant INI: for example, only focusing in the masses inside that INI (EMPTY_MASS=19378.75, FUEL_MASS=61276.25) it is obvious that this is not Constellation Cargo Altair as it is also obvious that no baselined conceptual NASA AresV version (even the bigger LV51.00.4X variation) could send that amount of total mass to TLI in a single launch...

Please remember that some of the (many) reasons for conceptual vehicles such as those bigger AresV LV51.00.48/47 iterations (LV51.00.47 had even more aggressive design assumptions than LV51.00.48!!!) was the desire to protect for, at very least, 4 days LEO loiter (only 4 days!, this depends also of stage design), ~3175m/s TLI of ~75t payload in ‘1.5’ AresI+V mission mode (0.86 t adapter + 45t Altair + 20.2 Orion at TLI moment + 5t Level1 Margin + 4t Level2 Margin or so)… Would have to check but even AresV LV51.00.48 only seems to protect for ~71.1t TLI payload (payload = adapter + lander + CEV + some margin, depending of boil-off reduction results, spacecraft mass growth, etc)

Continuing, not saying that what will write next is or not happening in current beta files but I would also recommend some care and extra attention with book-keeping the masses on multistage.dll or spacecraft.dll INI payload definitions vs the masses defined in each payload ini file vs dV budgets or else it is very easy to create what I call of ‘portable virtual black holes’ where, for example, a small sounding rocket could make TLI of a First Lunar Outpost crewed payload (not sure if was able to explain myself?).

Talking about the EDS, the numbers for the ‘dry’ masses on beta20100403 do not seem to correspond to official data. To be fair, this is one point that might raise more interpretation doubts about the official data mainly because of keeping track of some EDS related components and some Earth Departure configuration changes that happen during ascent up to pre-TLI moment (such as, for example, loiter time vs boil-off simulation protection vs margins vs jettison of boil-off reduction kit, etc).

V. Final comments

I was seriously considering to share here some more of my own development notes about the topic (AresV LV51.00.48, Altair, Considerations about AresV ascent and mission constraints, required performance targets for the several mission modes, etc)… In fact already wrote some rough first order / first impressions stuff (which might be outdated) about the topic in an older thread at these forums (which can be found by using the search function), beyond some glimpses in my interventions on this thread.

But... all that would probably end up by resulting in an extensive document or other probably boring posts and not sure if this would be the correct thread for that (despite this thread being about the development of an AresV addon).

After thinking about it a bit more, decided, at least for the moment, to provide the current feedback (which really hope might be useful!) and decided to then put on-hold something more elaborated because would have to do intensive copy + paste from those personal development notes / files (‘loosing’ time when most information is available online anyway, if searching for it) and because this addon interpretation, goals and implementation method constraints appear to be different – in several ways – than what have used on those files (and do not really wish to have an amount of work if the objectives or implementation philosophies are kind of different, which is also fine, more addon variety).

In any case, if wishing a little more of such further feedback or research directions about specific topics feel free to say so and, if having time and not being in ‘away mode’ will try to help within the possibilities.

To conclude - and continuing to wish good luck to this development effort - I guess that might end here my participation in this thread, at least for the moment.

Best wishes,
António

(and thanks for the patience reading all this blablablabla)

PS: quickly answering to submariner: yes, still in the plans to update my AresI, (provide integrations with external addons, include extra ‘stuff’ such as an AresV heavy lifter – probably not LV51.00.48 variant - and also delete / replace / update other really outdated addons; in fact did some updated research on AresI stuff this past weekend…which is not a easy thing to do because from some time now that there is not a single source detailed data document about AresI with Thrust Oscillation Mitigations and updated Orion assumptions already included on mass breakouts, performance / trajectory)… although from some time now that things are not what used to be regarding continuous availability for active addon development (I gave up about announcing release dates).

Last edited:

Columbia42

Reaction score
Simcosmos, in case you haven't noticed, this Ares V addon already accurately simulates the change from sea level to vac thrust using exactly the same techniques you suggested.

As for the realism of this addon, I am interested to hear what you have found about the Ares V that differs from what is currently implemented. If you could point out some sources where I could get that information that would be great.

Also, the residual fuel at the jettison of the core stage is simulated by changing the dry mass.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
simcosmos - First of all, I love the stuff you've developed. I got hooked on your "Direct" and VSE mods for a while. That kept me occupied until I started with the Momo and Jekka's HLV missions and started base-building. Nicely filled the gap until Dan released the UGCO Arrow.
I'd love to see what you have in store with your own AresV, the AresI is pretty sweet, but it caused me some trouble finding the right Orion for a while... It seems I had some config files stepping on each other or something... Anyway, like I said, your work is top-notch!

Columbia42 - Did you get my .scn? If you want I'll also add what I modified to get it to stretch out. It just didn't look right with Orulex the way it was. As it is I still think it's too small, but I can't make it look right for some reason. With any luck I'll try the next mission tomorrow night.

Peace dudes.

Columbia42

Reaction score
Thanks for your .scn Phantom Cruiser. However since there are already many addons required to run this addon, I don't think I'll be using the Copernicus Crater landing site. (Of course if you download that addon it will be compatibe with the Ares V) but I decided to just do a landing site near Brighton Beach. (Since the new landing scenario takes place in the Sol_Constellation system Brighton doesn't actually exist).

Submariner

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I use AMSO landing sites myself. I landed the Altair at Tranquility, near the descent stage from Apollo 11!

Columbia42

Reaction score
Here's the first release candidate of this addon:
View attachment 4418

If there is anything else that needs to be done, please tell me. If Simcosmos wants to post his figures for the rocket I will take a look but other than that this addon is probably ready for release.

Last edited:

Submariner

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I definitely think its ready for release. If Simcosmos wants to release his own Ares V, let him. Yours is great, go for it!