Search Ares V

Pablo49

Reaction score
Submariner, you can edit the scenario file and remove the high res pads and you the normal Sol config. That's why I do since this computer is pretty crappy.

Also, Columbia, you should really package this with Phantom's newest guidance file (test 10, right?), since it actually works. The current one doesn't do the best job.

Columbia42

Reaction score
The lunar outpost variant does use the same EDS. It just has a different configuration of the Altair.
Here's what it looks like: http://www.scribd.com/doc/18825804/ALTAIR-Lunar-Lander-Vehicle-Design-Overview I made a mesh of the EDS for the cargo configuration but for some reason my computer won't let me take a screenshot.

As for using Hi-res KSC, you don't need to install it. You just need to download it and put the surface tiles in your textures and textures2 folders. Also, if your computer can't handle it, use Med-res KSC.

As for the guidance file, I thought I was using test 10.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Test 10 was the latest "functional" file, 11 and 12 were a mess and didn't work properly so I never submitted them. :thumbup:

Last edited:

Pablo49

Reaction score
Okay, that looks interesting. It would be cool to have the three versions of Altair (Or just sortie and cargo), so you can run Lunar Outpost scenarios.

Nope, it was packaged with the old guidance file. I compared them side-by-side to check and they were quite different.

Columbia42

Reaction score
The next beta will have test 10 as its guidance file.

I'm going to start working on the .cfgs for the cargo variant of the EDS. I'm thinking it'll have about 50% of its fuel and mass. As for the cargo variant of the Altair lander, I'll start working on a mesh for that as soon as I get done with the cargo EDS.

Submariner

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Great work again guys! I can't wait for the offical release. I found that I could just copy/paste the AresV vehicle into my own scenarios, so no problem with the high-res KSC stuff. Thanks for the help!

I think a hover engine on the Altair would be the way to go. Its the most realistic, IMO, and also it would enable you to use LAND mfd for an Apollo style landing.

cymrych

The Probe abides
Donator
Reaction score
I've been tinkering with trying to set it up as a hover lander. Actually ... that wasn't too hard, once I stopped the lunatic drooling with the insanity that is coordinate conversions when one rotates a mesh. But mostly I've been fighting with the ascent stage. If I make it a hover as well so it docks properly with the descent and isn't turned 90 degrees off when you "jettison" it, it becomes a huge pain to redock with the CEV. (And, I tend to bounce away from the descent-stage at several thousand meters per second when I get it undocked. Made the 3.5 day trip back to earth in about 10 minutes, lol!)

Long story short -- I'm not sure how practical it is too try and make her a hover-lander. It's a pain, but I think it's easiest to just land "blind" but retain your standard docking thruster's for later use getting docked to the CEV, rather than the other way around. Think this may just be a compromise with using spacecraft3.

Unless someone can suggest a way to dock a Z-axis up vehicle to a Y-axis up vehicle? Or better yet, have the Z-axis vehicle initially as payload in the Y-axis vehicle, without having the mesh jettison and dock at a 90 degree angle?

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

Actually --- I got an idea. Submariner, I'll get back to you.

Columbia and Pablo: It's weird, but am I correct that particular guidance files work better for some people's systems than for others? For instance, a guidance file's optimization is reduced dependant upon what other modules/ships are also being run in the sim, or on how stressed a graphics card may be?

Last edited:

Columbia42

Reaction score
First of all, if you want to try a hover-landing Altair I'd love to see it. For now I just use the right mouse button to manuever my cockpit view so that I can see the lunar surface.

As for the guidance files, I'm not sure if other ships in the sim affect them but it certainly wouldn't suprise me if they did. I do know that since a guidance file is a "framerate controled" autopilot the quality of your graphics card does make a difference.

Pablo49

Reaction score
Personally, I like Altair as it is. Since isn't something that lands with much horizontal speed, like a glider etc, seeing the ground ahead of you isn't a huge deal. You can always change the view like Columbia said, or view the outside of the lander. I also like it being a main engine verses a hover engine.

And multiple vessels in the simulation won't directly effect the guidance file, they can lower your frame rate if they are in view, which of course affects the guidance. You might need to tweak the guidance file to work best for you.

Columbia, do you have plans to make Constellation based cargo for the cargo lander, like the outpost modules?

Submariner

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
It would be cool to be able to use the LER with the cargo lander, there's a great one on orbithangar.

Columbia42

Reaction score
For the lander you can also use camera MFD to see any direction you want.

I'm planning to make a version of the Ares V where it takes cargo to the ISS and another version where it takes a cargo variant of the the lunar lander to the moon.
BTW, what is the LER?

cymrych

The Probe abides
Donator
Reaction score
Camera MFD, hunh? I'll have to check that out. It's gotta be easier than the headache I just went through. That said, I got it just about smoothed out, having a rotated pre-jettisoned ascent stage, spawning a traditional Z-axis-up ascent craft upon jettison. Couple of tweaks still, like getting the thruster exhaust pointing the right way on the descent stage. But its operational, just needing some optical wrinkles ironed out.

I've been searching, but can't really find much more than a casual reference to a cargo variant of the V. Certainly nowhere near the info available for the manned lunar architecture.

Can't wait to see the new cargo package(s), whatever it may be.

As for the guidance, that makes sense. I couldn't figure out why suddenly I'm starting the roll program late, causing me to be high and a bit slow at burnout. But I had just put in HiRes KSC, which slowed my framerate a tad.

Pablo49

Reaction score
Speaking of the cargo variants. I've only seen talk in this thread about an ATV style ISS transport and the lunar cargo lander. Shouldn't there also be just a general purpose cargo lifter variant? With a shorter EDS, almost like a fregat stage or so. Just to launch miscellaneous things into orbit.