Bug Arrow Freighter not fully landing

CaptainComic

Reaction score
Sooooo.... I'm having a little trouble in getting the Arrow Freighter to actually and fully land (moon, Earth, anywhere). It'll land, certainly, except that the velocity indicator keeps twitching with very low numbers, and the ship will slowlllllly move from where it was. The scenario file does seem to think the ship is still in orbit around the moon. Full 3.0 update for Arrow, UCGO, UMMU, DG4, etc. No other addons, aside from a few (as of yet unpacked) cargoes. Any guesses, anyone....?

Attachments

• MM3.scn
    9.9 KB · Views: 6

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I've had a similar issue with other craft when I still had an autopilot running (H-Level in particular).

It's been a while since I've flown an Arrow, but I don't remember having any problem with it.

CaptainComic

Reaction score
So, the issue is known. Checked the autopilots, though, and every one of them was inactive. Anyone else have a guess....?

CaptainComic

Reaction score
Orbiter 2010 (100830)
Happens with default graphics or the D3D9Client.
(Not sure where to find fps..)

CaptainComic

Reaction score
Well, guess something did think that not all the engines were off. Used the scenario editor to empty the Arrow's fuel, and it finally did completely settle on the ground, and stayed there even after "refilling" the fuel to the previous level. Not an elegant solution, but hey, it works.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Did you have an MFD that was trying to fire one of the Arrow's engines?

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
very high frame rates do cause an issue that prevents vehicles from making a smooth transition from flying to landed. Config the D3D9 client frame rate limit to be 60 fps, open up the D3D9 dialog box in sim and check the frame rate limiter, that lower rate should help kick your vessel into landed mode. Or check your hover engines, it is very easy to slightly toggle the hovers and the retros even with the Arrow and not even notice until your ship starts going in peculiar trajectories.

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Does this problem (vessels not switching to idle state in high-framerate situations) still occur with the latest beta?

Until recently, betas had a problem detecting idle state, but that should be fixed in the latest updates. Possibly this would also have fixed the high-framerate problem.

Note: The best way to check for a vessel idle status is to check its info page (Ctrl-I). The status indicator (active or idle) should be towards the end of the list.

A vessel should normally switch from active to idle 5 seconds after it is motionless on the surface and _all_ thrusters are completely off. In other words, Orbiter switches a vessel to idle as soon as it satisfies all idle conditions for a continuous 5 seconds. This was the source of the high-framerate problem: at very short time steps, random errors could lead to accelerations above the idle threshold that would reset the watch counter.

Note that a vessel might (legitimately) not switch to idle if it is placed on a sloped surface if that leads to an (however slight) sliding or rolling motion. So it's best to test on a flat surface.