Science Ask your local Med

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
When you are my age, one bubble wrap detonation can blow your dentures out, takes ages to find them again.

N.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
When you are my age, one bubble wrap detonation can blow your dentures out, takes ages to find them again.

N.

Watch out, old man. Can I help you through the docking adapter? :cheers:

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
AFAIK it's between the 60s and 70s (simple google search from Xyon says it's 68.5), not as high as in many developed nation, and yet not so low as the level of a failed country, pretty much average compared to the average of the whole world. But then again the average life expectancy of my family is 79 (I'm lucky aren't I :lol: )

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score

It has nothing to do with age and everything to do with the quantity and density of the bubble wrap material. I've been doing experiments to harness the power of bubble wrap detonation for peaceful purposes, but so far it has only yielded terrible weapons of mass annoyance.

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
Well after reading the posts, I think some people are misreading my earlier post about people over 60, it is said "In My Experience". In here, people over 60 are brittle, my grandma can't walk properly after the age of 70, I've got a very old aunt who is bombarded with many meds to keep her alive, but then again, I have this uncle who is 65 and still play tennis everyday, but the majority of my elders are that, brittle and sick, I know that in advanced countries the conditions might be different, with the degradations can be postponed by a decade or so, well we still have a lot of nutritional problems and lack of proper medical equipments here to adequately take care of the very old, so yeah, what I've been saying should be taken to apply generally to people in third world country or in similar situation.

Which brings us to the original question, what kind of nutrition and medical maintenance can a person on a Space Station which is held up there for an extended period of time can get?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Which brings us to the original question, what kind of nutrition and medical maintenance can a person on a Space Station which is held up there for an extended period of time can get?

Did you already read the NASA medical checklist?

Krys

Resident Female
GFX Staff
Reaction score
I'm more curious about the long term effects on a woman's ability to conceive/sustain a pregnancy in zero g. (sorry too many friends have given birth this week)

Would being in zero g have any effect? Would the eggs even make it out of the fallopian tubes?

And another question - would people who have pain caused by adhesions have a better quality of life in 0g or not?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I'm more curious about the long term effects on a woman's ability to conceive/sustain a pregnancy in zero g. (sorry too many friends have given birth this week)

Would being in zero g have any effect? Would the eggs even make it out of the fallopian tubes?

Should be no effect. Most processes there operate actually even against gravity.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Okay, serious question.

On May 16th, 2011, I broke my ankle watching the last launch of Space Shuttle Endeavour. I tore two ligaments but only had a hairline fracture, but I have not felt any pain since late-December. Am I going to have any future issues?

Linguofreak

Reaction score

I don't think that would be too much of an issue (then again, I'm not a doctor), but what concerns me is what effect reentry forces would have on pregnant women and infants.

I don't think that being conceived and born in zero-g would affect the health of an infant too badly, but to be able to support their weight under 1g in adulthood, they'd have to be raised in an environment with gravity. But if a wheel station isn't available to provide centrifugal gravity, that would require a return to Earth, either during or after pregnancy, which would involve exposure to forces of several g's.

FADEC

Reaction score
I don't think that reentry forces would have bad effects on pregnant women and infants. At least not aboard the Space Shuttle which was limited to 3G maximum, and which I don't think was reached during entry anyway. What people see in movies does not compare to reality. It's exaggerated very often.

John Glenn did take a seat with STS-95. At that time he already was 77 years old. And there was a gap of 36 years between his Mercury mission and STS-95. If he can do it at 77, I am pretty sure pregnant women and infants could do it as well without being harmed.

I would not recommend this however:

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
Did you already read the NASA medical checklist?

Well, quite obviously, I haven't, but then again, I was asking about the long term medical facility available to them, for example, how do we do a blood work, a Lumbar Puncture, etc. when they need to be done? You see the most a person has been on space was just a little bit over a year, not nearly long enough for a serious disease to develop.

And another question - would people who have pain caused by adhesions have a better quality of life in 0g or not?

The ability to conceive and gestate won't be affected by 0G, just as Urwumpe has said, they are all processes which is not affected by the G factor, just as much of the factors that works in our body, for example the gastrointestinal system.

But then again, research in mice have shown that 0G can have effect on the offspring. They brought mice over there to the ISS, and made them pregnant (it is obvious that the mice would have some trouble doing it themselves ;p) And they then brought it home, and the mice that resulted from the space breeding have spatial disorientation, they found out that because of the weightlessness, the semicircular canals of the foetus never developed properly. This is caused by the otolith have never interacted the hair cells in a meaningful way causing them to lose the ability to tell up from down, and other equilibrium function that SCC has.

About adhesive pain, I'll use the example of a burn injury patient here. Because of the lack of the skin to protect the nerve endings, they are all sending signals like crazy when they touch a surface and given pressure, that's why the bubble bed thingy was invented, to support them on the bed with as little pressure as possible. With weightlessness of course the pain will subdue significantly, since no pressure are being applied at all. There's also unique opportunity that is given by 0G environment, perhaps we can even immerse burn injury patients in special solutions which will wrap them like bubbles because of the lack of gravity, freeing them at least partially from the IV line because of reduced loss of fluid and give them more insulation? Well this is my own speculation of course :D

G-force will not have any effect on the pregnant woman herself, and with limited G just as you said perhaps they can sustain re-entry. But I seriously doubt the capability of any near-term pregnant woman to sustain very high G-force, for the obvious reasons. And yes, children who have pretty much the same bone composition as normal ones should be able to, as you have shown a roller-coaster I will use it as an example, if children are able to cope with their Gs, there's no reason why they can't sustain the G-force of reentry.