Asteroid Roma to pass in front of Delta Ophiuchi: 8/9 July

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/SSA/SEMPN9PZVAG_0.html

If you are in the right place at the right time.

In a rare event next Thursday, skywatchers will be able to see an asteroid briefly block out the light from a star as it passes in front. It may be the only asteroid 'occultation' this century observable with the naked eye.

N.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
For a second there I thought this was about an occultation of the Sun by an asteroid, something which would be pretty scary!

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, the dinosaurs got a bit of a scare too...

N.

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I think I'm just outside of the visible area. I've E-mailed my dad in central Europe - maybe he'll be able to see it. Thanks for the article - it must be fantastic to see a star go out for 5 seconds! I wonder what kind of maths you need to do to predict these things?

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, it's not that hard, once you set up the numerical problem with software.

The first thing you need is heliocentric ephemeris for both the asteroid and for the earth. Using this, you can find the asteroid ephemeris relative to the earth.

Then you need accurate star ephemeris (right ascensions and declinations vs. time) relative to earth.

Then you just step through the tables, and takes the angle between the radius vectors at each step. If the engle falls below (or gets really close) the angular radius of the asteroid, you have a possible occultation.

At that point you go back a few time steps, decrease the time step size, and go forward to get a more precise measurement.

To see if it will be visible from a particular location on the earth's surface, you calculate the ephemeris of the ground site relative to earth center and do the above again. This time, though, you need to see if the local elevation is positive, or the occultation will be below the horizon. Also, check to see if the local time will be at night, or else you won't see anything but blue sky and clouds.

Sounds complicated, but you could do it in Orbiter.

bwog

Reaction score
I have a question. What is Delta Ophiuchi?

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It's a star in the constellation Ophiuchus - the 'delta' refers to the brightness. Delta is the fourth figure in the Greek alphabet, so the star is the fourth brightest in the constallation.