Question Attachments and docking

RacerX

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I have a object that is attached with a docking port defined. The problem is you can dock to the port and verified by the "congratulations you docked" verbal message and also in scenario editor. But the docking port will not maintain a "hard lock". Is there a work around for this? (Velcro is not a option in my case)

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Can you just use a attachment. You will need an docking port if you use Ummu

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
you can not dock to an attached vessel. It will say you did, but it won't be.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I can. In the TOS Enterprise just released, it does. So you can transfer crew from the Galileo.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I can. In the TOS Enterprise just released, it does. So you can transfer crew from the Galileo.

You mean docking to an attached child?

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You mean docking to an attached child?
Yes. The TOS enterprise has a Parent attachment and dock in the shuttlebay. When the Galileo attaches it also docks. So for ummu you can transfer from the shuttle to the Enterprise

Kendo

Reaction score
Now you have given our little secret away :facepalm:

RacerX

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
When the Galileo attaches it also docks.

So how was that accomplished? Is it target able in dockmfd?

Here is what I am trying to do. I am making a midair refuel for the XR5. I have 3 docking ports defined on the refuel mesh. the first port attaches to the XR5 docking port. The other 2 ports are the refuel drogue chutes. Problem is, to use it you have to fly in the atmosphere with the XR5 docking port open and airspeed at 199 or lower. I wanted to attach it a different way by making the First port that docks to the XR5 instead be a attachment in the cargo bay. Or make it mimic a cargo. And it works but will not maintain a hard lock.

rxSBnq7.jpg

8sUrNnw.jpg

Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes if you put a nav beacon. But if you get close then it is attached. Like I said the dock is just for transfer of Ummu. But it is coded it

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
@RacerX

Had a very similar problem a few weeks back.

My solution was to use the refuel boom mesh as eyecandy and add a second docking port to the XR5 itself, when the vessel that needs refueling was close enough. (via a lua script).

The vessels stay docked and no attachments or changes to the XR5's config file were needed.

Here is the video of how it looks.

The refuel boom mesh, animation, sounds and docking port get added to the XR5 once the XR2 is closer than 1 km.

The whole package is attached on this post. Have a look at the lua script to see if it's something that you can adapt to your project.

The scenario is the "Midair-Refueling(XR2-XR5)".

Additional notes:
-The XR2 and XR5 have their own config override .xrcfg files. They are set to default ISP settings.
-You will also find a playback of a successful docking in the playbacks folder.

Attachments

• Midair-Refueling(XR2-XR5).zip
    827.8 KB · Views: 25

RacerX

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
yes thanks I have seen this addon. I will play around and tinker with it. I am trying to get it to work inside of the OMP environment as well as single player. Nice addon BTW

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
too bad refueling isn't allowed when the nosecone is closed.

RacerX

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
too bad refueling isn't allowed when the nosecone is closed.
Well the only way to do this is to give the vessel a refuel port. Vessels/ships that are using a .dll file can only do whats coded into the .dll file. Otherwise you are left to doing the next best thing....fly around in the atmosphere with the docking port open and attach a refuel port to it.
HC-130-Hercules-043.jpg

In my opinion I think the next generation Of the XR fleet would benefit alot from implementing this idea
Xr5: slowly releasing drogue chutes
r

OR fuel probe lowering via a switch on overhead panel
images

XR2,XR1: Animated probe (for drogue chute refueling)
220px-GR4_VC10.jpg

OR fuel door opened on top of cabin released via a switch on overhead panel to receive fuel probe.
images

I would though like to lend a hand with the 3d modeling. Im not the best but i do have alot of time to (3day weekends) to help out. I am going to PM dbeachy with this and see what he thinks.

Last edited:

JMW

Aspiring Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi dgatsoulis.
Seems the lua51.dll in your zip contains a Trojan. (according to McAfee)
I downloaded another from a trusted source but the Lua Autopilot doesn't load......
Any ideas?

Great add-on by the way!

The whole package is attached on this post. Have a look at the lua script to see if it's something that you can adapt to your project.

The scenario is the "Midair-Refueling(XR2-XR5)".

Additional notes:
-The XR2 and XR5 have their own config override .xrcfg files. They are set to default ISP settings.
-You will also find a playback of a successful docking in the playbacks folder.

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Others have posted about having the same problem. I have no idea what's up with that, since it has never happened to me. (I use AVG).

The lua51.dll is exactly the same as the one you have already downloaded from this thread.
It is used to play the sound (.ogg) files through the lua script completely independent of OrbiterSound -together with proAudioRt.dll.

The source code is available from the ProteAudio link in that thread, but I'll also post it here.

The lua51.dll and the proAudioRt.dll are not my work, I do however redistribute them with my lua scripts that require sound, something that is permitted by the license.

If you do not feel comfortable using them, then do not use them. Those files are not my work, just the lua script.
The only thing I can do is point out the source and let you decide.