Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
The Blu-ray and DVD release (2D only) is scheduled for April 22nd. Apparently the 3D Blu-ray version won't be out until next year.

P.S. I loved the movie! :tiphat:

cljohnston

Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
I didn't go see it because I can't stand 3D movies.
That was my attitude until Avatar came out. I'd never been interested in 3D movies because of the red/green lenses.
I was pleasantly surprised to find that my glasses for Avatar were pretty much clear (they use polarization these days), so I wasn't distracted by color weirdness. I was totally immersed.
My only problem with the movie was that my eyes kept drying out because I was forgetting to blink!

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
The way the space part worked was pretty realistic IMO. James Cameron consulted NASA for help.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Did he? He seems/seemed the kind of person to at least get the concepts right (he'd make a good orbinaut, IMO).

I believe he actually worked as some sort of consultant for NASA at one time.

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
And finally, the long awaited official trailer of the second Avatar movie is released:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT-eBL8GDeU&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- Аватар 2. Официальный трейлер[/nomedia]

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
:rofl::rofl:

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
I really don't see where the whole "anti-American, anti-militaristic, anti-technology" stuff comes from. The hero and many of the "good" characters are American, and the protagonist is clearly a soldier who identifies deeply with the Marine Corps' creed. The antagonists are clearly hired guns with little respect for dress code, and the main antagonist is corporate greed (as in Aliens). Even the Big Bad with a military background is so badass to be almost admirable in a twisted way.
:p

Anti-American: :lol:

• Corporation uses "Apache" choppers
  • Pocahontas is good, general Coster is the bad guy.
  • Movie made by a Canadian (enemies of US in 1812)
  • Jake Sully is an Australian actor, not American.
  • Movie shows indians fighting american cowboys, instead of cowboys fighting indians.
Anti-militaristic: :lol:

• Army soldiers fight terror with terror.
  • Guys with guns are the bad guys.
  • The villain is a military guy.
Anti-technology::lol:

• Valkerie shuttles do not bite
  • Banshee generate less CO2 emissions than Valkerie or Scorpio gunships
  • Guys with cool robotic exoskeletons are the bad guys.
  • Deforestation is made using incendiaries, instead of using a primitive chain saw or the typical caterpillar (corporation is showing off tech fireworks and gadgets to do evil).
On a side note... My bet is Valkerie shuttles would burn upon atmospheric entry. Right?

Last edited:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
They do seem to be pretty angular for a reentry vehicle.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
They do seem to be pretty angular for a reentry vehicle.

Not automatically bad - but the shape is likely not made for unpowered reentry.

shefex_mario_juenemann_380.jpg

http://www.dlr.de/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-728/1208_read-2038/

Or in German, about the successor experiment:

http://www.dlr.de/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-728/1208_read-24273/

Last edited:

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Anti-American: :lol:

You know, a lot of simians laugh out loud. However...

Corporation uses "Apache" choppers

Gunships are in use in many armies and in the Avatar future it makes sense a PMC that is tasked with providing security on an alien world would use that kind of assets. What they should use, weaponized executive choppers? You can buy military hardware, you know. That's how armies get it.

Pocahontas is good, general Coster is the bad guy.

General Custer was, ironically, a supporter of native rights. Read your history.

Movie made by a Canadian (enemies of US in 1812)

A Canadian who made his fortune in the US. Germany and Italy were enemies of the US in far more recent times and they're now allies. The US fought the British for their independence but then fought side by side in two world wars and then some. Do you believe that enemies must stay enemies forever? Or did you skip history lessons?

Jake Sully is an Australian actor, not American.

LOL. Jake Sully is a character played by Sam Worthington who is an Australian actor. And another Aussie played Wolverine, who is a Canadian mutant. Ah, and another Aussie (George Lazenby) played James Bond.
So, in order to play an American, you must be an American? I hope you never decide to work in the casting business, you'd be out of a job in microseconds. Per your logic, Mr Spock should have been played by a real Vulcan.

Movie shows indians fighting american cowboys, instead of cowboys fighting indians.

Movie shows native non-humans fighting human invaders. Did you check the passport of every merc working for what is depicted as a multinational enterprise?

Anti-militaristic:
  • Army soldiers fight terror with terror.[/QUOTE]
They're not Army, they're a PMC. See the movie again.

Guys with guns are the bad guy.

Oh yeah? The Na'vi use firearms as well as soon as they can lay they blue hands on them. Jake Sully uses firearms. It's an action movie and gunplay in Cameron movies is always present - even in Titanic.

The villain is a military guy.

The antagonist is a former military guy. The villain is the multinational corporation operating on Pandora. The hero and protagonist Jake Sully strongly identifies with the Marine Corps to the point of stating loud and clear that "once a Marine always a Marine" and identifies himself as a warrior and a member of the "Jarhead" clan to Neytiri, reinforcing his identity as a soldier.
Anti-technology:

• Valkerie shuttles do not bite
  • Banshee generate less CO2 emissions than Valkerie or Scorpio gunships
  • Guys with cool robotic exoskeletons are the bad guys.
  • Deforestation is made using incendiaries, instead of using a primitive chain saw or the typical caterpillar (corporation is showing off tech fireworks and gadgets to do evil).
EPIC FACEPALM.

A recurring theme in Cameron's movies is technology misused or running amok, greed against humanity and common sense, and the fact that tech is neutral. In the Terminator movies both the cyborgs and chronoporting can be used for good and bad purposes. In Aliens the main villain are not the xenomorphs but Weyland-Yutani's greed, and the guys with guns are the heroes. So is the babe with the exoskeleton. In Titanic we have again the theme of greed (Cale and the liner's operator unwilling to put as many lifeboats as necessary).

Do yourself a favour and study up before having the laugh turned on you.

On a side note... My bet is Valkerie shuttles would burn upon atmospheric entry. Right?

It's a SF movie, and they have unobtanium and enough power to get those shuttles hovering at their pilots' heart's content.

Wrong. On all accounts.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Oh yeah? The Na'vi use firearms as well as soon as they can lay they blue hands on them. Jake Sully uses firearms. It's an action movie and gunplay in Cameron movies is always present - even in Titanic.
I don't remember any blue people other than Jake and Norm using guns in the final battle...

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I don't remember any blue people other than Jake and Norm using guns in the final battle...

Check the final scene in which the humans are kindly and lovingly being led into the shuttles by a bunch of friendly Na'vis holding GPMGs like they were machine pistols.

Which only makes sense, Ind... Er, Native Americans loved their lever-action rifles as much as any paleface as soon as they could get them and learn the proper workings of the boomsticks.
Pocahontas et al compare badly to Avatar. Dances with Wolves would be more apt, but literature has many examples of the lone-hero-falling-in-love-with-native-lifestyle-and-going-all-hunter-and-gatherer-only-to-rise-in-arms-against-his-own-people-who-are-so-totally-not-his-own-people-anymore-when-the-heat-is-on.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Pocahontas et al compare badly to Avatar. Dances with Wolves would be more apt, but literature has many examples of the lone-hero-falling-in-love-with-native-lifestyle-and-going-all-hunter-and-gatherer-only-to-rise-in-arms-against-his-own-people-who-are-so-totally-not-his-own-people-anymore-when-the-heat-is-on.
pocahontas_avatar.gif

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
That's as old as my worn shoes. Disney's version of Pocahontas is darn derivative itself. Ever seen Broken Arrow (the 1950 Western movie, not the Woo flick) and Emerald Forest?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It has many parallels to "dancing with wolves", but you can't blame Cameroon for using a classic plot. Even "The last Samurai" cited the "noble native converts alienated enemy" plot. The plot is maybe not very creative, but in case of this movie, you have all missed the point if you want to argue about the plot at all:

The plot only exists for chaining the cool 3D scenes together so you can for no better reason be turned nauseated by a spinning artificial world.

And really: The world is cool, and what it does to your perception is really astounding. Don't forget it. In some years we might not talk about Avatar anymore, for it being not the best 3D movie in history. But it was the first to really use 3D for taking you hostage.

Who cares that the Nav'i sound like Apache in a classic Karl May movie. Likely nobody asked Tolkien about how the language of such people would be. As well as nobody asked a evolutionary biologists for making sure that the Nav'i don't look so annoying humanoid compared to the rest of the Pleistocene wild-life that runs around there. Who cares that the gunships are design like Mattel toys (which they already are)? No military scientist would let gunships in some years look like that, they have more obvious weaknesses than pseudo-guided rockets.

Also, I think the Avatar concept adds a complete new factor into the classic plot. The protagonist in the movie choses his preferred body and existence as vessel for his soul. And that out of pretty obvious reasons. It has a bit of the old Queen lyrics...you can be anything you want to be, just turn yourself into anything you think you could ever be.

Last edited:

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Miyazaki Hayao or Miyazaki Manabu? Or maybe Goro?

Hayao-sensei of course.

Flight scenes - check.
Fight scenes - check.
My-how-nature-is-beautiful - check.

Goro needs to mature, however. Earthsea was an honest effort but not up to par.
I feel Hayao is going backwards, by phasing out CGI and going all hand-drawn for Ponyo. Howl's Moving Castle was cool.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yeah, Nausicaä fits in that context.

But I would say that in the context of the Avatar line, his "Spirited Away" is closer to the idea, since it contains a lot references about how the self-perception decides the appearance.