Brycesv1

Crash Test Expert
Reaction score
the new avatar movie looks great. cant wait for it in december.

is it just me or does the ship at the beginning of the trailer look a lot like the DGIV?

Oceanic

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
It looks more like the XR2, and the movie looks very weird, sort of like those movies that dont make scense.

yeah it looks more like the xr2.

small question which sci-fi movie makes sense????

unfortunately trailers are nowadays pretty misleading.

Ark

Reaction score
James Cameron comes out of semi-retirement to direct what may be the most expensive movie in history (just like his last one)? This movie is gonna be absolutely freakin insane.

Suzy

Reaction score
Website
suzymchale.com
I am so looking forward to this (and wondering when someone on a spaceflight forum would mention it...)! (See Wikipedia for a plot summary)

Last edited:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I don't know. I saw the preview last night when I saw Inglourius Basterds and it seemed...wierd. Looked like humans were colonizing another planet by assuming the form of the elf-like people who once lived there or something. Kind of a fantasy Tolkien thing or something. Lots of money and lots of special effects means nothing these days.

Brycesv1

Crash Test Expert
Reaction score
I don't know. I saw the preview last night when I saw Inglourius Basterds and it seemed...wierd. Looked like humans were colonizing another planet by assuming the form of the elf-like people who once lived there or something. Kind of a fantasy Tolkien thing or something. Lots of money and lots of special effects means nothing these days.
this is true. still... i kinda wanna see it. if its an awesome movie ill be glad i did. if it sucked it will simply further my belief that as ppl try to push special effects, movies will become increasingly low quality

JamesG

Orbinaut
Reaction score
From the trailers it looks like its about MMOGs, hence the name "Avatar". The lead character plays a er... character, the blue dude. I'm sure there is a twist to it. I'll watch it tonight and report, sans spoilers of course.

The whole thing is CG, and to be honest, doesn't look very realistic. It looks more like a cartoon film than live-action. I don't know if that was intentional given that its a movie about a video game or not...

Last edited by a moderator:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
From the trailers it looks like its about MMOGs, hence the name "Avatar".
No. If you actually *watched* the trailer, you'd see that it has nothing to do with video games.

The whole thing is CG, and to be honest, doesn't look very realistic. It looks more like a cartoon film than live-action. I don't know if that was intentional given that its a movie about a video game or not...
A) It's not about a video game.
B) Yes, there was an intentional decision to make it somewhat surrealistic.

Sar

Reaction score
I've been waiting for this aswell. Though my hopes are not particulary high, but I do wish it'd be a movie worth the time it takes to watch it.

JamesG

Orbinaut
Reaction score
No. If you actually *watched* the trailer, you'd see that it has nothing to do with video games.

The trailer does imply that the lead character "enters an alternate world" and the title "Avatar" suggests it considering its a common term for virtual world characters.

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The trailer does imply that the lead character "enters an alternate world" and the title "Avatar" suggests it considering its a common term for virtual world characters.

It's not an "alternate world" but an alien world whose atmosphere is poisonous to humans. The "avatars" are biomechanical devices made in the image of the native population, remotely controlled by fully immersive VR by the characters. They see, feel and act through those remote bodies, acting as scout for Earth forces.

JamesG

Orbinaut
Reaction score
eh, whatever... Told you I didn't pay much attention to it because the trailers didn't look very good. It still looks like a cartoon/video game.

Last edited:

Brycesv1

Crash Test Expert
Reaction score
i guess they used a bunch of new types of cameras to catch the facial expressions of the actors so that the na'vi would look more real. no more dead-eye CG characters

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So... you have alledgedly the biggest budget in film history, but can still only afford aliens that look like humans with a bit of bad makeup?

No doubt Cameron is a great director and this will be a good film, but considering what Blomkamp could do for only 30 million...