Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Same here. From the trailer this movie looks like typical output from daily hollywood factory: nice visuals, crappy story and bad characters.

You must be a superhuman to be able to deduct this from the trailer.

Actually, from reading previews, both story and characters are said to be pretty good, especially since they are not just summarized as PriestLizard put it.

Also, remember that there are actually only 23 plots in the world, if you are only looking at the big picture. The magic of a movie comes from how one of these plots is told. Terminator 1 was just man vs machine, Terminator 2 was machine vs machine...

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Only 23?

Do you mind posting a list of these 23?

natey787

Reaction score
I just watched the movie and found it quite enjoyable. Graphically it was amazingly beautiful, with the half rain-forest half coral reef like setting.

And the vehicles!

Didn't any of you like those? The interstellar transport from the beginning? The VTOL "shuttle?" I wouldn't mind having one of those for Orbiter...

Dambuster

Reaction score
I saw the movie yesterday, it was great!

The CGI and overall environment/sounds etc are just incredible, I really couldn't see any bits at all that didn't look real. As for the plot, I'd say it's surprisingly good. There are several nice twists in it.

I do however think they could have worked on their atmospheric entries a bit...and also, is it even possible to have a habitable planet in orbit around a gas giant? I would have thought it would completely mess up the seasons etc... And as natey said, some of those ships would be very nice to get in Orbiter.

EDIT: Also, this will almost certainly look better on a really big screen. I watched it in 3D on a medium-sized one, but 3D in IMAX would probably be unbelievable amazing.

Last edited:

Dig Gil

LearninProgram,Slackin DigTech
Reaction score
Website
dig-orbiter.blogspot.com

They say (in the article) that the linguist is still trying to get more vocabulary into the language. Humm... The Na'vi are not very advanced creatures. They seem to be in the same stage of human gatherer tribes. Just like south american natives. Some of those natives' language is quite simple and has got few concepts (doesn't know the "zero" or any number bigger than 3, one word to name all kinds of flesh eating animals, etc...). It would easier for the linguist if he thought about that :p .

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
Saw yesterday, was absolutely amazed. My wife who don't like SF movies usually love it also. It's a great SF movie !

Dan

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
doesn't know the "zero" or any number bigger than 3

Doesn't he know that the Meso-American tribes had already been using the number zero since nomadic times and counted from 0 to 19?

Juanelm

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
You must be a superhuman to be able to deduct this from the trailer.

Actually, from reading previews, both story and characters are said to be pretty good, especially since they are not just summarized as PriestLizard put it.

Also, remember that there are actually only 23 plots in the world, if you are only looking at the big picture. The magic of a movie comes from how one of these plots is told. Terminator 1 was just man vs machine, Terminator 2 was machine vs machine...

Interesting how the Man vs. Machine plot is not on the list... ; )

Dig Gil

LearninProgram,Slackin DigTech
Reaction score
Website
dig-orbiter.blogspot.com
Doesn't he know that the Meso-American tribes had already been using the number zero since nomadic times and counted from 0 to 19?

I'm talking about more southern tribes...
Don't have enough time to research thoroughly, but I think this is the language I'm talking about: http://www.sil.org/acpub/repository/23476.pdf
Unfortunely can't find sources about the vocabulary itself, but I've looked up the examples in that PDF and if that's the language, then it's possible that my former claim is actually a question of pronunciation similarities rather than actual existence of the certain words. Still, this language, the "tucano" is known for having a short vocabulary, but still a complex grammar/syntax.

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
I'm worried Avatar is just a live action Fern Gully, except for instead of faeries vs bulldozers its smurfs vs. Halo.

You guys recommend?

Turbinator

Reaction score
I haven't seen anyone discuss the fact that this movie is in 3D. It's the first true "movie" filmed in 3D, everything else is kid cartoons.

If you watch it in 2D you are missing out half the awe this movie has to offer. But then most of the theaters here where I live are showing the 3D version only, because they all upgraded to the digital cinema, and can do that.

I seriously recommend watching this movie. It is truly an original idea, and a fresh new world to explore. It was really a quality movie, far superior compared to the lackluster stuff that has been screening over the past 4 years.

Here: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/avatar/ Score: 82%
Beware thou, some of the negative reviews have spoilers in the first lines, sutch hate. Some people got nothing better to do but to spread hate.

Juanelm

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'm worried Avatar is just a live action Fern Gully, except for instead of faeries vs bulldozers its smurfs vs. Halo.

You guys recommend?

Thats just what I thought when seeing the trailer.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Beware thou, some of the negative reviews have spoilers in the first lines, sutch hate. Some people got nothing better to do but to spread hate.

Well most reviewers online are either fanboys or haters, so you have to expect that.

Wolfer

Miniature Giant Space Hamster
Reaction score
I just saw this movie. I was expecting something around average or good, but I was extremely disappointed by the story. I thought it had none. It's literally just the "good savage" cliché that we've seen since the time of Rousseau (that's 18th century for crying out loud!) in a fancy CGI wrapper and with a small environmentalist message.

Turbinator

Reaction score
Had no story? You know what had no story? G.I. Rise of the Cobra had no story, New Moon had no story. You could write a 500 page book on Avatar's story. It has so much story, you could create 5 sequels and not run out of things to talk about. However, to each his own. For me this movie was long overdue, I am not liking all the "gimmick" movies that have been coming out over the last 5 to 9 years. What happened to real movies?
:cheers:

I might have used overused the word story in my paragraph there, no? :yes:

Last edited: