T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If you make your aliens too alien, it becomes difficult for the audience to empathize with them.

I managed to empathise with prawns...

Seriously though, there's a way to get around this; it's called antropomorphism. While it may sound bad, it would allow you to get away with scientifically accurate aliens and still allow the audience to empathise with them. ;)

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Makes some sense, since I could probably pass for an alien myself. :p

And the prawns were not the central characters after all.

The prawn co-star had a rather central role in the film. Granted, the rest of them were merely background characters.

Could you bet a multizillion movie production's success on 99% of the audience to empathize with non-humanoid characters?

Well, I'd get Blomkamp to make it for 30 mill instead... so [/sarcasm]

Getting the audience to empathise with nonhumanoid characters would be easy enough, getting them to like them would be a different story. Different people prefer different concepts; you can't count on everyone liking something. Tough.

What I'm saying here is that if you have the huge budget, why still have aliens which look like they were made on a '60s television show budget?

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, in the trailer I've seen a vehicle that looks like a cross between a V-22 Osprey and the COlonial Marine Dropship from Aliens, and some sort of mecha, not as large as a BattleMech but more along the lines of an E-frame from Exosquad or a BattleTech Elemental, and it carries a gun of some sort cradled in two hands like a normal person would...which kind of defeats the purpose of having an exo-suit. And I see a bunch of space marines.

So...it looks like Aliens mixed with giant Smurfs and Matrix 3...huge budget and lots of explosiony (new word) special effects.

Special effects once excited me...back in 1977 when Star Wars came out, for instance, but nowadays special effects are a dime a dozen. Any car commercial has more special effects in it than your average sci fi film did 30 years ago, but it doesn't make car commercials into good movies.

CGI effects can actually make an okay movies into a bad one. It's kind of like wearing too much bling and looking tacky. Cameron needs to come up with a good story, good pacing, good scriptwriting, and tasteful special effects that don't overdo it.

atuhalpa

Orbinaut
Reaction score
Sincere empathy is not predicated on anthropomorphism.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Nor is it predicated on blue cat-people.

Worked for these guys:

smurfs-wallpaper-the-smurfs-251171_1024_768.jpg

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I hate smurfs with a passion. I'm still trying to find their darn village on Google Earth so that I can call an artillery strike on them, with napalm and nerve gas.

Juanelm

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I don't get the super humongous hype over this movie. I think the trailer looks average...

PriestLizard

Reaction score
I don't get the super humongous hype over this movie. I think the trailer looks average...
Same here. From the trailer this movie looks like typical output from daily hollywood factory: nice visuals, crappy story and bad characters.

Teh bad humanz are invading a paradise-like planet with elves in the trees, only to get the ressources. A hero shows up. His bad master orders him to infiltrate the elves - at first he believes in his mission for the best of mankind but when he realizes that his masters plans are evil, he allies himself with the elves - who are strong tribal warriors but prefer to live in peace and harmony with their environment........

Come one... how much more clischee do you need? I can foretell the ending of the movie right from the trailer.

The only reason I might actually see the movie is because I believe Cameron knows what he's doing... at least thats what I used to believe. ;)