Vessel base module for a space station

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
ive had myself a great idea for a way to make managing a modular space station construction project (spread over many missions and potentially hundreds of launches) much easier, and better yet, i think that its not too hard to code (though, i cant code for toffee, so I cant say that for certain)

heres the basic principle:
upon creation, the module has just one mesh loaded, a small amount of propellant and such like that, to make it a good base for a modular space station project to work from

from here, you dock another module (could be anything) to the base module, to achieve a temporary berthing. once you're happy with its positioning, you use a command built into the base module (like a key command) to "grab" it, and make do with its coding parameters;

for a start, it grabs the mesh and adds the mesh to itself in the same position as the docked source vessel, then it grabs other parameters, like max fuel quantity, carried propellant, UMMU capacity/capacitees (the ones in it :p), source docking ports (except the one that was docked to the base module), attachment points, vessel (dry) mass etc

once these are added, the source vessel and the local docking port it was docked to are deleted, and you now have two station modules, that are technically one vessel (making it easier to manage)

on a more advanced level, the CoG of the superstructure could be moved based on vector calculations between the two vessels that are intergrated (CoG shift = distance between CoGs/ratio of masses, along the line between the CoGs), and UGCO and UMMU support is carried over (depending on whether or not its possible to grap those parameters, they could be like "Private" parameters that are hard to get hold of since the orbiter engine doesnt inherently keep track of them)

any other ideas for this? i quite like the idea, and thought a kind of casual Orbiter space station could be made (using everyones vessels and modules to meld them together into an easily manageable and large public space station!)

thanks for reading guys :D

Interceptor

Reaction score
Would it possible this way to add Resource consumption option to this, so you would need to refuel your station,and,supply food water, ect,ect to keep your station going, similar to Dan's UCGO ISS?:tiphat: