Gaming Battlefield 3 Released!!

Stevodoran

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I got it for PC, since they only did 24 player maps for the consoles :( but on ultra high sooper settings (dont forget the Turtle Beach headset) i fell in love with the game

Console?? Are you sure you are not talking about 1943??

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Just read about the spyware that is needed to be installed with it... sorry, nothing for my PC. Such kind of software isn't tolerable. If EA does not like me as customer, I don't like EA.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
i never install the anti-cheat engines..

Ark

Reaction score
Just read about the spyware that is needed to be installed with it... sorry, nothing for my PC. Such kind of software isn't tolerable. If EA does not like me as customer, I don't like EA.

Origin's EULA reads like a George Orwell wet dream. You can't even dodge it by buying retail.

Honestly, it's like EA wants people to rip off their games, the way they keep punishing and spying on paying customers.

We're probably heading for the day when EA and Activision refuse to sell games at all, and just milk customers for monthly payments and microtransactions to play games streamed from their servers.

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
I've passed on Battlefield 3 so I can get Skyrim, just more of my thing than Battlefield.

FADEC

Reaction score
Looks nice. But it's not the kind of games I play anymore.

I'm waiting for Guild Wars 2 to be released finally (no monthly payment).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Thi-LPgIms"]Guild Wars 2 Manifesto Trailer HD - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've passed on Battlefield 3 so I can get Skyrim, just more of my thing than Battlefield.
Really looking forward to Skyrim's release, though looking at the FAQ it seems Bethesda has dumbed it down even more than Oblivion, and solved few if any of the most annoying "features" in that game. :(

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
Really looking forward to Skyrim's release, though looking at the FAQ it seems Bethesda has dumbed it down even more than Oblivion, and solved few if any of the most annoying "features" in that game. :(
I'm not so sure. I like the merging of some of Fallout 3's features such as the Perks and not having to rest when you level. I'm also like the sound of the new system where there are no classes and you just play as you'd like to form your "class".

My only real concern at the moment is the new monster leveling system, I thought the system in Oblivion worked fine and I'm not liking the idea of going to back to certain areas only to one-hit everything in my way.

Anyway, we should probably make a new thread to avoid derailing this one. :p

Edit: Done.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Origin's EULA reads like a George Orwell wet dream. You can't even dodge it by buying retail.

Even more, the EULA is mostly illegal in Germany, at least according to a lawyer who analyzed it for a game magazine. There are many terms that already violate the code civil here, the rest is against the pretty strong privacy protection laws.

Ark

Reaction score
Even more, the EULA is mostly illegal in Germany, at least according to a lawyer who analyzed it for a game magazine. There are many terms that already violate the code civil here, the rest is against the pretty strong privacy protection laws.

I just don't get why they feel the need to snoop on every part of your system just to run game distribution software. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Steam doesn't need my browsing history, or information about what else is installed on my machine, just the stuff specific to their products. Is it so they can pull a Facebook and sell all the data they mine to targeted advertisers? Some kind of massive trojan horse operation to catch people running pirated EA products?

EA is the Galactic Empire of game publishers, there is good reason not to trust them. I'm very angry that games like BF3 and Mass Effect 3 are being used to push their spyware on my machine with no other option but "Don't like it? Don't play."

Again, it's like they want people to pirate their stuff. Why consent to letting them root around in your computer when someone is just going to come out with a cracked version that spoofs the Origin functions and lets you play unmolested?

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It is typical Digital Restrictions Management IMHO. And I fear many computer skill impaired gamers of all generations will happily install Origin and BF3 because BF3 is so epic.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
It is typical Digital Restrictions Management IMHO. And I fear many computer skill impaired gamers of all generations will happily install Origin and BF3 because BF3 is so epic.

Impaired? You mean those who aren't computer centric?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Impaired? You mean those who aren't computer centric?

Exactly, those who can't tell what they are actually doing there, except gaming and posting how they went to the bathroom on Facebook.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Many people lost respect for EA when they bullied Sega around, not to mention they basically stole the Dreamcaster(??) and threatened to publish it if Sega didnt let EA make games for them. i hope EA goes away, but you really can't stop the biggest game publisher.

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
While you all discuss BF3... I eagerly await Halo CE : 10th Anniversary Edition. :D

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Here's a check for $50, use it to support the developers." :lol:

I doubt that EA can afford $50 developers. Most of the successful games are pretty much rewarmed versions of a past hit, usually with a year behind its name to permit telling the difference. Low costs, high profits, software for the masses.

Not that Blizzard is much better there towards its customers, but Blizzard does better quality and can, from what I have heard from a friend, afford proper developers.

But now to something serious:

If you would give my boss $50 for letting me write your software, we would likely laugh longer than the work-minutes that you just bought.

You are maybe used to see all of us developers spend lots of time writing software for free, because we enjoy this and prefer having fun by not getting bought to follow requirements and time budgets, but in reality, we are expensive. We need not only food and caffeine, we also need education, training, hardware, software licenses, time for project management, travel, etc. At least if you see the costs of a single programmer with the eyes of a company manager, or are independent.

Many of us maybe don't need much for living, except 20MBit/s internet connection, 12 cores at home and a flat rate for ramen, but that does not apply to all. Especially if you are over 30 some day, have a house, a family and pay for stuff that is already expensive to read.

If a game does not sell around 40,000 units for $50 per programmer/artist/etc involved, it was a loss - you are usually speaking of at least two years of work.

Can you even imagine how expensive Orbiter 2010 would be as commercial game if you plan to sell only 50,000 units of it?