Been away for awhile...

Travis Reed

Unstable
Reaction score
As the thread title suggests, I've been away from Orbiter and the community for awhile.

I'm wondering what major events, changes, etc have occurred while I've been gone. Particularly with regard to Orbiter itself, development of the XR2 Mk II, graphics clients using DirectX 9-11, IMFD, OrbiterSound, UMMU, Wideawake, plus any of the other requirements for the XR2 that I'm forgetting...

Last edited:

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
How long have you been away?

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
As the thread title suggests, I've been away from Orbiter and the community for awhile.

I'm wondering what major events, changes, etc have occurred while I've been gone. Particularly with regard to Orbiter itself, development of the XR2 Mk II, graphics clients using DirectX 9-11, IMFD, OrbiterSound, UMMU, Wideawake, plus any of the other requirements for the XR2 that I'm forgetting...

Well...

the Ravenstar MkII died an ugly death, & I dont think well ever hear of it again. The D3D9 & D3D11 clients are here, D9 fairly complete, D11 not so much. D3D9 supports reflective surfaces & gives some amazing FPS numbers while D3D11 has the best terrain around.

IMFD is pretty much the same I think...

Orbitersound 4.0 is out, and it is amazing let me tell you. 3d sound, bases sounds, no more Air on a G-string. Its great :thumbup:

Wideawake has a new version in development too.

Nice to meet you :hello:

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
Was there any official word on the XR2-II, or are we just reading between the lines here?

Travis Reed

Unstable
Reaction score
The last time I was really active with Orbiter was around the time that the first patch for the 2010 version was released.
I've been around since the 2003 version, off and on...

Bern lurking occasionally since I was last active. I seem to remember the XR2 Mk 2 thread being closed, and screenies of a mesh version of Wideawake in development.

Last edited:

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
BJJL pretty much nailed it then.

Some others ... some great new runway scenery for the Earth bases, some mission lines to build OFSS 3, to go to Mercury (Iron Hill thread) and Mars. Enjo keeps enhancing LaunchMFD, and has created great base classes to support HUD drawing and multi-page buttons. Lastly, I've done a number of Glideslope releases.

Welcome home again!

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
There's the Interplanetary Modular Spacecraft, which is a plug-n-play ship assembly system. Still being developed, but coming along nicely.
Loru's been a busy model maker, with Carl Sagan Space Center (located really close to the equator), the Themis-A launch vehicle, which is a superb piece of work with woo482 providing coding, and the beautiful XR3 Phoenix. That's right, NEW XR craft!
There was work being done on an XR4 (Nyx, I believe?), but that's been quiet for a while...
Deepstar's getting an update...
UCGO and UMMU are getting updates to 2.5, and the Arrow Freighter looks SUPERB. new docking ports on said ship as well. :)
In the prototype and development department, there's a lot of work being done on a possible replacement for Spacecraft and Multistage. Couple of good coders on that project, so I feel it's got an excellent chance of success.
FOI's been busy, with their Jarvis, Quasar, and Neptune rockets looking better and better, and their Antares and Eridanus spacecraft looking really good. :cool:
That seems to be about it. Glad to see an orbinaut returning to the fold!