OHM Better ISS

EstebanDF

Reaction score
Hello again @Max-Q Here is an updated mesh / textures for the ISS.

A few notes:

1. The current iss_03.dss file is a 8K texture file, I've also included a 4K version (files will have to be renamed). Reason for this, is that the section for the docking target is too small to obtain a good resolution. Files are quite a bit bigger than the original, but I haven't noticed much performance issues.

2. I've added @DaveS Generic APAS-95 mesh / textures (Pasive side only) It's not a separate mesh, I've just copied/pasted the objects in Blender to your original mesh.

3. I've tested the IDAS (HAS_IDAS=true) with this mod, and it's working just fine.

4. I would be more than happy to replace the whole PMAs with @Donamy and Thorton PMA mesh if they are OK for me to use their stuff. (I can't even try their ISS rendition since the GenericVessel addon seems to be impossible to find (Anyone can PM it to me?)

Regards.
Esteban.

Attachments

• ISS update.zip
    28.2 MB · Views: 33

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hello again @Max-Q Here is an updated mesh / textures for the ISS.

A few notes:

1. The current iss_03.dss file is a 8K texture file, I've also included a 4K version (files will have to be renamed). Reason for this, is that the section for the docking target is too small to obtain a good resolution. Files are quite a bit bigger than the original, but I haven't noticed much performance issues.

2. I've added @DaveS Generic APAS-95 mesh / textures (Pasive side only) It's not a separate mesh, I've just copied/pasted the objects in Blender to your original mesh.

3. I've tested the IDAS (HAS_IDAS=true) with this mod, and it's working just fine.

4. I would be more than happy to replace the whole PMAs with @Donamy and Thorton PMA mesh if they are OK for me to use their stuff. (I can't even try their ISS rendition since the GenericVessel addon seems to be impossible to find (Anyone can PM it to me?)

Regards.
Esteban.
generic vessel maybe here:https://www.orbiter-forum.com/threads/genericvessel-140205-the-sc3-open-source-replacement.30336/

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
I'm not a big fan of an entire 8k texture just for one small area that needs higher resolution.
I'm more ok with a 4k version, I'll take a look at it.

Excellent! :cool:

That would be great, and IIRC those PMAs have an actual docking target mesh instead of just a texture as with the model I used, so that would solve the 8k texture thing as well.

I'll check out your zip, I've been away from my PC for a week or so and haven't had a reliable internet connection so sorry for the slow response.

NorbertWoller

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hello,

I have installed Better_ISS on my old PC with no problem. But with my new PC I get this warning in the LOG-File:

============================ ERROR: ===========================
Could not load vessel module: ISS_HD
[Vessel::LoadModule | .\Vessel.cpp | 5747]
===============================================================
============================ ERROR: ===========================
Could not load vessel module: SSRMSD
[Vessel::LoadModule | .\Vessel.cpp | 5747]
===============================================================

any idea?
Thanx a lot

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Sounds like something happened to the DLLs.
Can you check that they are there? I have seen cases where an over-eager antivirus program takes out Orbiter addon DLLs.
Aside from that, I'd just recommend re-installing Better ISS and see if that fixes it.
If not, please let me know

NorbertWoller

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Sounds like something happened to the DLLs.
Can you check that they are there? I have seen cases where an over-eager antivirus program takes out Orbiter addon DLLs.
Aside from that, I'd just recommend re-installing Better ISS and see if that fixes it.
If not, please let me know
Thank you. Will try this!

Marcin

Reaction score
What can cause this strange visual bug? It appaers when looking from the statoin to docked ship (docked ship is activ vessel).

Attachments

• 1700752454178.png
    1700752454178.png
    560.2 KB · Views: 33

Foreigner

Reaction score
Hello! I have been drifting in and out of playing Orbiter depending on how busy I am in Real Life. I had recently bought a new PC and even more recently had upgraded it with a dedicated graphics card, so I decided to revisit the simulator.
This "Better ISS"caught my eye, but I am unable to download it from the link in the first post. The message states I am not allowed since I don't have any posts of my own. I wonder if this post will qualify me... If there is a particular reason why access is restricted, can you, please, let me know why?
Thanks in advance, and all the best!

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Hello! I have been drifting in and out of playing Orbiter depending on how busy I am in Real Life. I had recently bought a new PC and even more recently had upgraded it with a dedicated graphics card, so I decided to revisit the simulator.
This "Better ISS"caught my eye, but I am unable to download it from the link in the first post. The message states I am not allowed since I don't have any posts of my own. I wonder if this post will qualify me... If there is a particular reason why access is restricted, can you, please, let me know why?
Thanks in advance, and all the best!
This post should do it! :)
I apologize for the inconvenience, I really hate having to do that. A while back we had a bad character scraping people's addons and hosting them on his own site without permission. (And taking credit for them!) He was banned from here and I moved all my addons to the private category so he couldn't get at them.

Foreigner

Reaction score
This post should do it! :)
I apologize for the inconvenience, I really hate having to do that. A while back we had a bad character scraping people's addons and hosting them on his own site without permission. (And taking credit for them!) He was banned from here and I moved all my addons to the private category so he couldn't get at them.
Thank you for the explanation! Frankly I am a little surpised someone would behave like that in the Orbiter community (which, in my opinion, is relatively small but fairly tight-knit). Not that stealing the fruits of someone else's (intellectual) labour is so unheard of, but considering the chance of monetary gain from doing so is practically nil for a niche, volunteer-driven "ecosystem" that is free through and through, there should be little incentive. I mean, I've read about a hacker stealing and then selling (for real cash) an upgraded top-tier tank in "WoT", but here?
Anyway, thank you for all your time and effort with this project!

Foreigner

Reaction score
Thank you. Will try this!
NorbertWoller, are you using Windows 11, by any chance?

I am getting an error when Orbiter tries to load SSRMSD (even though I had installed the requied update for Orbiter 2016). If I take it out of the sample scenarios, everything loads normally.

Max-Q, if I remember correctly, some posts ago you mentioned potential DLL problems coming from not having a particullar Microsoft C++ redistributable installed. The attached screeenshot shows what I currently have on my PC. Can it be that I am missing something that is preventing SSRMSD from running correctly?

I also wonder: if I have a newer version of the redistributable, do I need to keep older ones or can I safely remove them? Also, would it matter much if I have an x86 version installed when I am runnnig a 64-bit version of Windows 11?

Thank you in advance for your assitance, and all the best!

Attachments

• Screenshot 3.png
    Screenshot 3.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 5

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Max-Q, if I remember correctly, some posts ago you mentioned potential DLL problems coming from not having a particullar Microsoft C++ redistributable installed. The attached screeenshot shows what I currently have on my PC. Can it be that I am missing something that is preventing SSRMSD from running correctly?
You need the 2010 redistributable I believe.

I also wonder: if I have a newer version of the redistributable, do I need to keep older ones or can I safely remove them? Also, would it matter much if I have an x86 version installed when I am runnnig a 64-bit version of Windows 11?
Sadly it doesn't work that way. You have to keep the old ones.
As far as the x86 vs x64 thing, it's not about the windows "bit-ness", it's the program you want to run. Orbiter and all it's addons are x86 code, so you need the x86 redistributable.

Foreigner

Reaction score

As far as the x86 vs x64 thing, it's not about the windows "bit-ness", it's the program you want to run. Orbiter and all it's addons are x86 code, so you need the x86 redistributable.
Thanks for the advice!

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
Just my two cents:
I like the Better ISS very much! It is an absolute beauty, and very rewarding to see it growing in your window after chasing the station for many orbits until docking.

But I still use the version 2.9, as this is quite independent of other addons. I just activate it in my mod manager and it works.
(Ok, I have to confess not to use the SSRMS).

I would appreciate if every release contained one 'bare bones' scenario, showing only the ISS, not requiring any other addons.

Foreigner

Reaction score

Max-Q, unfortunately, the 2010 redistributable didn't work, still get the same CTD and the same error message in Orbiter.log... will appreciate any further suggestions.

Thank you in advance, and all the best!

Attachments

• Screenshot 4.png
    Screenshot 4.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 5.png
    Screenshot 5.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 5

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Max-Q, unfortunately, the 2010 redistributable didn't work, still get the same CTD and the same error message in Orbiter.log... will appreciate any further suggestions.

Thank you in advance, and all the best!
If that didn't work, I don't know what else to really try... The SSRMS addon isn't mine, and I do know that others have had issues with it. I would honestly suggest just deleting it from the scenario and going without it unless you wan to troubleshoot further. I must admit my troubleshooting skills are marginal, you may be able to get some help by posting in the main forum.

But I still use the version 2.9, as this is quite independent of other addons. I just activate it in my mod manager and it works.
3.2 is independent of other addons (besides the SSRMS)? Did I make a mistake in the scenario I wonder? All versions should be independent of other addons.

I would appreciate if every release contained one 'bare bones' scenario, showing only the ISS, not requiring any other addons.
That's easy, I kinda don't want to re-upload a new release just for one scenario though. I'll just post one here I guess

Last edited:

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
3.2 is independent of other addons (besides the SSRMS)
Thanks for pointing me to that! It was my fault. I had removed the SSRMS from the 2.9 scenario, so it ran flawless, while later versions (with the SSRMS gave me troubles. Removed it from the current versions' default scenario, now everything works fine.
Great work, absolute stunning view!
0318a.jpg

Foreigner

Reaction score

Long live Sir Trial and Mr. Error! The 2005 and 2008 redistributables didn't work, but the 2013 did - SSRMSD.dll loaded normally and the scenario ran smoothly. Max-Q, thank you for pointing me in the right direction!
The two aforementioned gentlemen also helped me establish that one can still run the current default ISS_HD scenarios with only SSRMSD.cfg, SSRMSF.msh, and MBS.dds from the base Canadarm2 add-on - as well as the updated SSRMSD.dll - all added to their respective directories of the most recent package (of course, it helps to extract and keep the documentation handly).
The full Canadarm2 addon also seems to provide separate configuration file, module, mesh and texture for the RMS attached to the Japanese module, but I am not certain enough people will be interested in controling it (in addition to the SSRMS) to make it worth the effort to incorporatie the option in future releases.
Thanks again to all the contributors to the community, and all the best!