Question Can I combine NASSP with AMSO?

terribleboy

Reaction score
Hi together,

this is my first post here and I hope, that it's the right section for my question!

I'm a big Apollo - Fan. So I've downloaded NASSP and AMSO. They both are great, but I think, that the graphics (exterior view) from AMSO are much better than the ones of NASSP. On the other side, NASSP has more beautiful panels and a better navigation. Anyway, my question is, if it's possible to combine these two projects. That means, if I can use the NASSP with the exterior view of AMSO?
I don't know a lot about programming or how these addons are done, but I think that there must be a possibility to copy the graphic files from AMSO to NASSP?

Thank you very much for your help and excuse my English, please,

terribleboy!

Ps.: Thanks a lot for that awesome software (orbiter)! It's freeware and it's the best space simulater ever. I downloaded it 2 years ago and I didn't understand anything! But now (I'm 17), I'm so grateful, that this absorbing simulater was created! :cheers:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
No, both are separate add-ons. Also, AMSO uses a copy-protection for the graphics, encrypting them.

EliNaut

Reaction score
I know how you feel TB.
I think too that the best Apollo addon would include AMSO's visuals and EVAs and NASSP's interface and logic. We can dream no? Well who knows. It may be just around the corner.;)

terribleboy

Reaction score
Thank you for your fast help!
That's a grat pity! Well than I've to play NASSP and for movies the AMSO!
By the way! Does anybody know the Apollo Simulator by astragon? Their panels look like the ones from NASSP! Is that coincidence? ;)

Have a nice day!

Tschachim

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
nassp.sf.net
Thank you for your fast help!
Does anybody know the Apollo Simulator by astragon? Their panels look like the ones from NASSP! Is that coincidence? ;)

Perhaps because we're simulating the same spacecraft? ;)

I know Apollo Simulator from the screenshots only, but for me the graphics look rather different in detail (to both NASSP and AMSO)...

Cheers
Tschachim

terribleboy

Reaction score
Sorry Tschachim! You're right! I played that simulator again and there are really differences! Anyway I don't like the stars in that simulator!

But another question!
Why do NASSP and AMSO have different courses? I recognised this while practising docking at the LM! When I start the Apollo 11 mission with AMSO (already docked), then the modues are perpenticular to earth! In NASSP, the ship is directly flying away from earth without having curved.
Anyway, the earth is much bigger in NASSP than in AMSO. Is that normal?

Thanks for helping,

terribleboy!

Ps.: I have never seen the moon from the space but I think that the moon is a bit small (I can just see a little point after launch, In reallity I can see it through my window and it's very big!)? Seen from the moon, the earth seems to be very small, too! Is that right? I'm just interesed in that ;) Anyway, the simulation is excellent! To have the perfect simulation, I think that I've to fly to space:rofl:

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Size differences might be due to Field of View differences. You can press Z and X to change the FOV in Orbiter. The current FOV is displayed in the info in the upper right corner of Orbiter. If you use the same FOV for NASSP and AMSO scenarios, things should look the same size in both.

terribleboy

Reaction score
Thanks Nick. But that doesn't solve the problem. FOV is the same in both Projects. Nevertheless the earth and the moon are much bigger in NASSP than in AMSO! I've to set the FOV on 30 in AMSO to get the view of NASSP. But then the panels become to big. Can I change that anyhow?

By the way. What is the most realistic view?

Last edited:

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
By the way. What is the most realistic view?
Typically I operate Orbiter with between about 30° and 60° FOV, depending on what I am doing. I just choose what suits best, eg, looking around the cockpit of the AMSO LM is better with a very wide FOV (say 60-70°) whilst looking out the window to choose a landing spot might be better with a very narrow FOV (say 10-20°).

As for what is most "releastic", it depends on your viewing geometry. For example, my 17" widescreen monitor has a vertical dimension of approx 230mm. I sit about 700mm from it, which gives a FOV = 2*atan(height/2/distance) = 2*atan(230/2/700) = 18.7°. Such a "realistic" FOV is generally poor for immersion though, a bit like looking at the world with blinkers on.

The Earth & Moon will be the same size in both AMSO and NASSP. If field of view is not causing the visual differences, then your distance from each will be the cause. If in doubt, you can post some screen shots for us to look at.

Puma

Reaction score
apollo nassp with the amso launch tower

i read this post and is real about combinin both addons, last week i try to do it but the only thing i could do was get the saturn 5 from apollo nassp with the amso launch tower, and its looks great, maybe i post it to the hangar so you can download it, in other hands i just wanted to change the meshes and textures for the lunar lander, service module and astronauts for nassp, because the ones for amso look better, but the windows in the nassp csm are photo realistic, so i do not understand why the did not put better graphics in the addon, i search the web for meshes and texures and found some sites that sell them, do any one knows if the nassp team takes donations because i am able to help them for the graphics, as nassp is the more realistic apollo sim, i also have the apollo simulator you mention the graphics are lower than nassp, if any one knows how the team nassp works please post.

Thanks !

FordPrefect

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Ps.: I have never seen the moon from the space but I think that the moon is a bit small (I can just see a little point after launch, In reallity I can see it through my window and it's very big!)?

Regarding these doubts, I created this graphic.