Cassini - Enceladus Flyby August 11th 2008 Scenarios

FordPrefect

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hello all,

I intended to post these scenarios earlier, before the actual event, but didn't find the time. So here goes... to anyone interested to watch the recent Enceladus Fly-by of yesterday in Orbiter.

Attached to this post you'll find two scenarios and a modified Enceladus.cfg file zipped into one file.

One scenario starts 12 hours, the other 1 hour before closest approach to Enceladus. Both scenarios use real-world Cassini probe state vectors. (Thanks to tony for his cfgdata.exe!) To run these scenarios you need missleman01's Cassini add-on, you can get here:
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=516"]GEP- Cassini-Huygens V 1.2[/ame]

***Caution***
Using the "default" Enceladus planetary module (included in the Outer Planets package) test in Orbiter have shown Cassini will smack right into Enceladus. To avoid this and achieve a fly-by as it happened in reality, replace your Enceladus.cfg file with the one included in the attached package. (Back up original file!)

I've updated the Enceladus texture to the latest version released by Steve Albers as well. You can get it here:
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2825"]Enceladus Level 8 Texture[/ame]

Cassini was zipping past Enceladus at a ludicrous speed of 17.7 km/s, with the closest approach a mere 51 kilometers above its surface! :blink:

Sadly, the closest approach happened to be above the unlit side of Enceladus. Nevertheless, it is pretty enjoyable to watch in Orbiter.

:)

Attachments

• Enceladus_flyby_11Aug2008_files.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 14

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Fantastic job as usual FordPrefect!

It was rather intimidating to have Enceladus loom up like it did. Great job on the level 8 textures too!

Perhaps it was just me, but I had CTDs with both of the 2 new scenarios until I changed "cassini:Spacecraft/spacecraft" to "Cassini:Cassini".

:cheers: