Centaur G/G Prime High Energy Upper Stage

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Could the collets be where the pipes connect to the Centaur pipes? Looking on the clean room photo there's some exposed metal between the yellow pipes on the CISS and the interface sections on the Centaur.

I would say so, since they are providing a pretty pressure tight seal and are self-centering, it makes sense. But the connection can then not be broken before retraction of them.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I would say so, since they are providing a pretty pressure tight seal and are self-centering, it makes sense. But the connection can then not be broken before retraction of them.
What if it is the reverse then? They're on the Centaur side, not the CISS end. Can they be broken before retraction then?

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 PM ----------

The LH2 dump plumbing is now complete, less final bellows additions. I'll take a break for tonight and resume work on the LH2 fill/drain plumbing tomorrow.

---------- Post added 02-28-11 at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was 02-27-11 at 08:13 PM ----------

Nice final report on the Reusable Centaur Study from 1974: http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19740023234_1974023234.pdf

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

Urwumpe: Do you want me to check in everything in one go or could I do it in stages? For the stages I was thinking this:

1. Centaur G Prime upper stage
  2. Centaur Integrated Support System
  3. New FSS with the RBUS hardware

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Urwumpe: Do you want me to check in everything in one go or could I do it in stages? For the stages I was thinking this:

1. Centaur G Prime upper stage
  2. Centaur Integrated Support System
  3. New FSS with the RBUS hardware

Do it how you can do it best, but since you do meshes, which are not yet in use, you can also submit them in small steps, has the advantage that a HD crash could not destroy your meshes completely.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Do it how you can do it best, but since you do meshes, which are not yet in use, you can also submit them in small steps, has the advantage that a HD crash could not destroy your meshes completely.
Don't worry about HDD loss. After the initial loss, I instituted an incremental backup policy and regularly copy the backup folder to a 4 GB USB stick while the main backup device is an external HDD which works extremely well.

The HDD that I lost a couple of years ago had the signs of failing for quite a while, I just didn't recognized them in time. My computer is equipped with two separate 500 GB internal HDDs and it was the #1 unit that died due to broken disc read head.

The #2 unit is working perfectly with no problems, speed and health is just fine.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The 90% complete Centaur G Prime upper stage. Just need to the LOX propellant lines, the LH2 fuel duct that goes externally from the bottom of the LH2 tank to the RL-10-3-3A main engines and the lower ACS thruster units.

Attachments

• CentaurG_2A.jpg
    CentaurG_2A.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 592
  • CentaurG_2B.jpg
    CentaurG_2B.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 557

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Checked in the Centaur G Prime upper stage mesh and textures. It is complete enough to get coding started. The only thing missing from the mesh is the LOX lines on the +Y side which I have now references of.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The Centaur G Prime is now 100% complete! Added the missing LOX lines as well as the GH2 vent line. The configuration of the LOX fill/drain line is a guess based on several partial photos of it.

Attachments

• CentaurG_3A.jpg
    CentaurG_3A.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 604

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The updated mesh have been checked in.

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 AM ----------

Just discovered a sizing error on the Centaur LOX tank. I'll fix this and check in another update.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Both the CISS and Centaur is now ready for action! I'll just give both a final inspection and everything passes, they'll both get checked in soon.

Attachments

• CISS_5A.jpg
    CISS_5A.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 611

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Both the new Centaur mesh and the CISS have now been checked in.

---------- Post added at 06:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

Maintenance check-in, fixed problem with Centaur that it was seriously off-center.

---------- Post added 03-03-11 at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was 03-02-11 at 06:01 PM ----------

I just checked in a Spacecraft3.dll version of the CISS that demonstrates the animations. I just need someone to translate it to a dedicated module that can handle the Centaur stage. Right now I have it aligned with SSU Orbiter attachment point 6.

---------- Post added at 04:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

Checked in a maintenance release of the CISS. The CISS mesh was a bit of center but I have fixed this now. I also checked in a updated ini file to go with it.

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 PM ----------

Almost done with the third and final stage of check ins related to the Shuttle-Centaur program, which is the FSS in its 1985 config which is was when the RBUS was added to both pads A and B.

---------- Post added 03-04-11 at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was 03-03-11 at 08:44 PM ----------

Third and final stage check in has been done. This the Fixed Service Structure in its 1985 config with the RBUS present. The RBUS animation is a simple two-axis translation:

SHIFT=(15.42,-1.665,0)

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Now the final element, the Centaur G has been done:

CentaurG_Carina_Ready_Deploy.jpg

---------- Post added 08-22-11 at 12:59 AM ---------- Previous post was 08-21-11 at 11:31 PM ----------

Texture for the Centaur/CISS Standard Switch Panel(SSP).

Donamy: Do you mind if I borrow some of your SSU VC switch and talkback textures for the actual panel mesh?

Centaur_Panel.png

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Something that occurred to me was that we need a way to handle the Centaur being attached to both the orbiter and the CISS at the same time. Or at least find a way to make the payload latches register the status of the keel and trunnion pins on the Centaur.

---------- Post added at 04:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 AM ----------

This is a photo of the port aft section of the midbody of Atlantis. It shows the relevant Centaur areas that pertain to the hydrogen system of the Centaur. There's a set of similar areas on the starboard aft section of the midbody for the oxygen system.

Atlantis_Centaur_LH2_dump_port.png

SiameseCat

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Something that occurred to me was that we need a way to handle the Centaur being attached to both the orbiter and the CISS at the same time. Or at least find a way to make the payload latches register the status of the keel and trunnion pins on the Centaur.
Couldn't we just have make the CISS a component of the shuttle? In that case, we should be able to use something like the MPM/RMS code to handle the latches.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Couldn't we just have make the CISS a component of the shuttle? In that case, we should be able to use something like the MPM/RMS code to handle the latches.

I agree there, it would make it much better, since the CISS is a pretty integrated component of the Shuttle.

Does somebody already know about MDMs used for the centaur interfaces? Judging the panel, there must not be any MDM, but then, I remember that IUS and Centaur also had PASS SM Software.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Sounds a good way to me!

---------- Post added at 11:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 PM ----------

I agree there, it would make it much better, since the CISS is a pretty integrated component of the Shuttle.

Does somebody already know about MDMs used for the centaur interfaces? Judging the panel, there must not be any MDM, but then, I remember that IUS and Centaur also had PASS SM Software.
Sorry, no luck there. The panel design is completely fictional. I just replaced the IUS specific parts with Centaur ones. I have no idea on how the real panel looked like.

SiameseCat

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I can add 'UseCentaurG' and 'UseCentaurGPrime' mission file parameters that will add the CISS and Centaur panel, then. Do you have coordinates for where the panel mesh should go? Also, what's the difference between the G and G Prime versions. I'm wondering if we these are operated differently, or if the only difference is in the meshes.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Sorry, no luck there. The panel design is completely fictional. I just replaced the IUS specific parts with Centaur ones. I have no idea on how the real panel looked like.

Dang... Do you have an idea where to start researching? Since the Centaur-G program was pretty advanced when it was canceled, there must be a lot of stuff inside NASA or subcontractors, maybe it is possible to simply ask if somebody has material that we could use.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Dang... Do you have an idea where to start researching? Since the Centaur-G program was pretty advanced when it was canceled, there must be a lot of stuff inside NASA or subcontractors, maybe it is possible to simply ask if somebody has material that we could use.
Well, there is this document called the "Centaur G Prime Technical Description" which I haven't been able to track down except for a member of the NASASpacefligt.com forum. I have tried to have him scan it and post it, with no luck so far.

Maybe the NASA Glenn Research Center have some documents on it considering they were the lead center on the project back when they were still the Lewis Research Center.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, there is this document called the "Centaur G Prime Technical Description" which I haven't been able to track down except for a member of the NASASpacefligt.com forum. I have tried to have him scan it and post it, with no luck so far.

Sounds like a futile lead for now.

Maybe the NASA Glenn Research Center have some documents on it considering they were the lead center on the project back when they were still the Lewis Research Center.

Well, I just need a good email address that does not let me end at a bored office assistant, and much better: somebody who is less German than I am.