OHM CESSNA and FRENCH GUIANA AIRPORTS (and tiles)

jacquesmomo

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francophone.dansteph.com
Hi :cheers::salute:

After 3 years of work and development, I have the great pleasure of offering you this add-on which, I hope, you will like and will allow you to spend many hours in French Guiana.

If you have any remarks, comments, ideas for improving this add-on, criticism (not too much, eh ?!) you can send them to me here.

I will try to answer it as quickly as possible.

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Hi, thank you @jacquesmomo for this project!

I really love this Cessna floatplane. It's a good idea to use such planes in Orbiter, since it allows to practice the landing on the endless water surface :D

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Note that the Cessna 172 can be converted to an hydroplane IRL :)

avion-de-mer-cessna-172.webp

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
They are a bear to handle on the water.
Brings together the worst of taxing an aircraft and driving a speedboat (with no neutral or reverse!)
I got my rating in a PA-22, but the 172 would be similar on the water.
X-Plane 12 does a good job of simulating the handling.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
They are a bear to handle on the water.
Brings together the worst of taxing an aircraft and driving a speedboat (with no neutral or reverse!)
I got my rating in a PA-22, but the 172 would be similar on the water.
X-Plane 12 does a good job of simulating the handling.

I guess that sidewinds are not exactly fun to deal with either, the floats have quite a side cross-section 😅

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
@jacquesmomo, I'm wondering, did you made any settings for the interaction of your hydroplane Cessna with water? Because the landing on the water is pretty soft. Delta-glider can't swim like your Cessna.

By the way, for the future. I think it would be nice to have the airplane cockpit with such "element" (I shaded it in red). It adds realism for the cockpit view:

m.png

(It's Maule Orion from FSX, I loved this cockpit (and airplane) the most.)

jacquesmomo

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francophone.dansteph.com
Bonjour

@misha.physics :
No, I just modified the friction of the contact points for the floats.
(Orbiter does not differentiate ground and water).

As for the splashes (which are exhausts...) they are adjusted according to the altitude...
So on a lake at high altitude this will not work, and on land at a low altitude there will be splashes.... ;)

As for the cockpit, it would actually be prettier if it looked like your image....
For a future version? :unsure:
I'm going to try to progress further with 3D modeling...

Thank you for your comments
friendly

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
As for the cockpit, it would actually be prettier if it looked like your image....
I think it could be realized even just as a 2D texture (panel) which will create such 3D effect.
No, I just modified the friction of the contact points for the floats.
(Orbiter does not differentiate ground and water).
I checked it trying to land your floatplane on the ground, and it's really so. Of course it's actual only for the water, namely it really makes the amazing soft effect when landing on water.
As for the splashes (which are exhausts...) they are adjusted according to the altitude...
So on a lake at high altitude this will not work, and on land at a low altitude there will be splashes.... ;)
It looks nice although these splashes occur at altitude when the floats don't even contact the water (and ground). Maybe this altitude can be reduced. And yes, maybe these splashes look not very realistic on the ground, but that's not a big problem (that Orbiter does not differentiate ground and water for now).

And I was pleasantly surpirsed that your Cessna seems to work with OpenOrbiter. I think that's really wonderful. I'll post one picture in the Sreenshot Thread.