Question Chemistry: Exothermic reaction between Isopropanol + Water?

Turbinator

Reaction score
Why does C3H8O + H2O produce heat?

Isopropanol + Water. I found this out today by accident. I didn't have any mouthwash left, so I decided to put some water in my mouth and add some Isopropanol (a type of rubbing alcohol). To my surprise this produced instant heat. I spat it out real fast. I reproduced the same result in my hand, pour a little bit of water in to the palm of your hand, then add a bit of Isopropanol = heat. This would mean that there is some kind of exothermic reaction happening. Yet, there shouldn't be any.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-iisqNh1r8"]Exothermic - Chem Definition - YouTube[/ame]

If you enjoy videos like this, check out Periodicvideos and the other channels by Brady Haran. Some great space stuff in sixty symbols.

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Be careful with anything that get in contact with your skin ! :blink:

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
I wouldn't do experiments like that in my hand...

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
There should be no reaction at room temperature. As a matter of fact, rubbing alcohol is typically isopropanol already diluted by 50% with water.

Never trust your sense of touch as a thermometer. What you probably felt was a burning sensation from the alcohol irritating your skin. Oh, and by the way, isopropanol is fairly toxic if ingested. If you would have swallowed that by accident...

If you really want to know if there is a temperature change when isopropanol and water are mixed, mix the two together in a cup and use a thermometer. But be careful. Don't get any in your eyes ;)

Turbinator

Reaction score
It is a 99% Isopropanol mixture.

There is clearly heat produced when mixed with water. It is not burning of the skin by alcohol, because if I pour it by itself it feels quite cold, add some water and you get heat.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Isopropanol sounds dangerous to be putting in one's mouth...."Poisoning can occur from ingestion, inhalation, or absorption; therefore, well-ventilated areas and protective gloves are recommended"

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
Most likely your water is high in Chlorine content. IPA is reactive with Chlorine. Try it with bottled water which has a more stable pH.

IPA is a common solvent, not dangerous if used properly. It is flammable, and will cause you skin to turn dry and irritated from over exposure.

Play nice, safety first!

Turbinator

Reaction score
chemistry6.jpeg

enhanced-buzz-14287-1311694120-8.jpeg

61749947-7dcd-44ed-ae01-99970de839b5.jpg

chemistry_cat1.jpg

chemistry2.jpeg

memes-introducing-chemistry-cat.jpg

5jsk.jpg

5ik8.jpg

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Reminds me that one :

A neutrino walks into a bar. The bartender says "we don't serve neutrinos in here." The neutrino says "Naw, I was just passing through."

Turbinator

Reaction score
So two chemists walk into a bar. The first one says "I'll have a glass of H2O." The second one says, "You know, I think I'll have a glass of H2O too!" The second one didn't last very long.

So, an atom walks into a bar. He's looking pretty upset and the bartender asks,"what's wrong?" "Oh, I lost an electron today," he replied. "Are you sure?", "Ya, I'm positive."

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
99 or 91? Isn't 99 over the azeotrope limit. That can't be cheep.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
IPA is a common solvent, not dangerous if used properly. It is flammable, and will cause you skin to turn dry and irritated from over exposure.

Play nice, safety first!

I would say that putting it in ones mouth is not using it properly. Especially if it's really 99%.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
:facepalm: Runners-up for Darwin awards?

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
^Agreed, but experimentation can lead to enlightenment, or a Darwin award.

In this case, IPA is not the alcohol to consume, but Everclear might make your mouth think your drinking IPA. I feel neither one is fit for consumption and they would equally lead to the same result. Death when used improperly.

He could just perform the experiment in a dish, with an oral thermometer. Otherwise he might be called, "Self-Turbinator". But he does use Orbiter, I'm hoping he's not in orbit on this subject, but rather has gone to the store by now and bought the proper product.

That would make this line of questions, academic.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I wonder if isopropanol makes good rocket fuel. :)

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If achohol mixes with water and produces "heat" in some reaction. What would be the end product huh?

Turbinator

Reaction score
If achohol mixes with water and produces "heat" in some reaction. What would be the end product huh?

As I have found out the Isopropanol was reacting with the Chlorine in the water. The end product was Chlorine Gas.