Discussion Cleaning up the space junk?

Nexiss

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
And one more thing, about money.. Money is no more than a means for smarter people to control dumber people. Once our species gets rid of that notion(and the accompanying politics) then perhaps true space exploration can get underway.
Ah at last people are waking up, but the smart people are not that smart after all, because they thought they could get away with it forever, but the current global economic problems are an indication that their world is crumbling and is not sustainable, I feel the "dumber" (for want of a better word) will come out on top.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I wonder if it would be cheaper to just install retro rockets on upper stages and satellites and deorbit them at the end of their life...

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That would be a far superior option, but it cuts into payload mass, and some people are short-sighted in regard to protecting useful environments... :shifty:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I think solution has been found a long time ago:

megamaid-spaceballs.jpg

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
My idea? A GIANT magnet. pulls everything in, and then pulls everything down!
This stupid idea brought to you by Hedzup456!

Well, no effect on fiber glass, aluminium, silicone, insulation foams and cloths, and carbone-composites debris I fear... I'm not sure there are that much space materials that actually use iron.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
How about suborbital debris catchers?
You toss up a sheet of aluminium into the path of the small debris, it impacts, and all falls to the ground.

Kind of like fly swatters, only in different frame of reference.

MattBaker

Reaction score
Well, since it's only suborbital there would be a remarkable relative speed between the two objects and therefore quite an impact...

...which could produce even more debris.

You'd have to build your fly swatter out of a material that has no trouble with impacts of slightly bigger objects (let's face it: You're not trying to remove penny-big objects with that) with several km/s relative speed but actually catches them instead of leaving a gaping hole.
Sounds like a hard job IMHO.

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
Well, if you want to throw around stupid ideas that make sense...

A fleet of giant Cast Iron bathtubs filled with balistics gel equipped with compressed air thrusters to intercept debris, and a drag induction system for destructive return once full.

Either that or one giant Glad trash bag on Santas sleigh.

llarian

Reaction score
The problem lies with the species. The current issue is part of a pattern that has been with us for thousands of years, it becomes apparent only when our ability to throw our waste willy-nilly wherever finally reaches the point that we must move on because we can't deal with the cleanup. We have thrown our garbage into rivers and lakes relying on our ability to blind ourselves to its effects because we can't see it, therefore it's not there. It has left us with many water resources that are unuseable because of the long-lasting effects of pollution. It has now reached the point that even the oceans are incapable of dealing with the problem.

So the issue with space garbage is nothing new. Consider the the amount of detritus that we have created in the long history of ocean exploration here. We just left it there, rather than clean it up.

There really are very few possibilities of solution to the problem. Historically we have simple moved when our garbage has reached the point of making our immediate environment untenable. Else, we must make a serious change to a base attitude of our species.

Oh, and rely on our governments and commercial institutions to clean up the mess? Don't make me laugh.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
which could produce even more debris.
Not necessarily, if you pick the shapes and materials right.

The tricky part would be to slow down the target whole, without splattering it - at these impact speeds solids behave like liquids.

If it leaves a hole in the catcher - that's fine, but only if anything coming out of that hole is slower than orbital speed.

I guess it's one of these ideas that are beautiful in theory, but messy and impractical in reality.

The problem lies with the species.
All our problems lies with the species, maladapted to intelligence as we are.
So, it's pointless to blame the human nature.