General Question Colorblind help

illender

Reaction score
Unfortunately the green and yellow they use are too close for me to see the difference. Is there a way to change this?
Also I was searching spacecraft design tutorials with no result, any place I could find something like this?

Edit: This is in regards to the various MFD's, such as the TransX and Orbit, synch orbit...

willy88

Tinkerer
Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
Unfortunately the green and yellow they use are too close for me to see the difference. Is there a way to change this?
Also I was searching spacecraft design tutorials with no result, any place I could find something like this?

Edit: This is in regards to the various MFD's, such as the TransX and Orbit, synch orbit...

I recall that there is an open source variation of OrbitMFD which allows customizable colours. I too find the green-yellow to be too similar.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

I'm red-green color deficient and have had similar problems with the green and yellow used in MFDs. However, I basically trained myself to just look for the value that I wanted, because a year went by before I realized there was yellow in the MFDs at all.

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3609"]Here's the free Orbit MFD[/ame], but that's it AFAIK for open source MFDs.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
[joke]Seriously guys, what is this 'yellow' you keep talking about?! :lol:[/joke]

Yes, I've used Free Orbit MFD and changed the colours to green/blue instead of green/yellow. Much easier on the eyes. :thumbup:

---------- Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 AM ----------

Wait, wait! I just remembered, I think it's possible to change the default colours of the MFDs.
In Config/MFD there is a file called Default.cfg, that contains this:
Code:
COL_0_BRT = 00FF00  ; main colour bright
COL_0_DIM = 40A040  ; main colour dim
COL_1_BRT = 00FFFF  ; aux colour 1 bright
COL_1_DIM = 00A0A0  ; aux colour 1 dim
COL_2_BRT = F0F0F0  ; aux colour 2 bright
COL_2_DIM = 909090  ; aux colour 2 dim
COL_3_BRT = 6060FF  ; aux colour 3 bright
COL_3_DIM = 2020A0  ; aux colour 3 dim
COL_4_BRT = FF8080  ; aux colour 4 bright
COL_4_DIM = A00000  ; aux colour 4 dim
I haven't messed with it, but it sort of looks like it changes the colours in the default MFDs, no? :idea:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Success!!
Okay, the colours here are pretty ugly, but that's just my inexperience with HTML colours. :p

Attachments

• 10.07.28 11-52-24 GL-01.jpg
    10.07.28 11-52-24 GL-01.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 53

orb

O-F Administrator,
News Reporter
Reaction score
Success!!
Okay, the colours here are pretty ugly, but that's just my inexperience with HTML colours. :p
The colors in the Config/MFD/Default.cfg use a different than HTML color notation, a BGR notation, i.e. first 2 hexadecimal digits are for blue, the middle 2 are for green, and the last two for red.

illender

Reaction score
[joke]Seriously guys, what is this 'yellow' you keep talking about?! :lol:[/joke]

Yes, I've used Free Orbit MFD and changed the colours to green/blue instead of green/yellow. Much easier on the eyes. :thumbup:

---------- Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 AM ----------

Wait, wait! I just remembered, I think it's possible to change the default colours of the MFDs.
In Config/MFD there is a file called Default.cfg, that contains this:
Code:
COL_0_BRT = 00FF00  ; main colour bright
COL_0_DIM = 40A040  ; main colour dim
COL_1_BRT = 00FFFF  ; aux colour 1 bright
COL_1_DIM = 00A0A0  ; aux colour 1 dim
COL_2_BRT = F0F0F0  ; aux colour 2 bright
COL_2_DIM = 909090  ; aux colour 2 dim
COL_3_BRT = 6060FF  ; aux colour 3 bright
COL_3_DIM = 2020A0  ; aux colour 3 dim
COL_4_BRT = FF8080  ; aux colour 4 bright
COL_4_DIM = A00000  ; aux colour 4 dim
I haven't messed with it, but it sort of looks like it changes the colours in the default MFDs, no? :idea:

The colors in the Config/MFD/Default.cfg use a different than HTML color notation, a BGR notation, i.e. first 2 hexadecimal digits are for blue, the middle 2 are for green, and the last two for red.

Thank you for the help, I'll be using this today!

orb

O-F Administrator,
News Reporter
Reaction score
The stock colors that are currently used by MFDs:
COL_0_BRT = 00FF00 ; main colour bright
COL_0_DIM = 40A040 ; main colour dim
COL_1_BRT = 00FFFF ; aux colour 1 bright
COL_1_DIM = 00A0A0 ; aux colour 1 dim
COL_2_BRT = F0F0F0 ; aux colour 2 bright (almost white - info for people with bright background)
COL_2_DIM = 909090 ; aux colour 2 dim
COL_3_BRT = 6060FF ; aux colour 3 bright
COL_3_DIM = 2020A0 ; aux colour 3 dim
COL_4_BRT = FF8080 ; aux colour 4 bright
COL_4_DIM = A00000 ; aux colour 4 dim

And this may be helpful for selecting a color for example for all colorblind type friendly MFD colors mod:

Set of colors that is unambiguous both to colorblinds and non-colorblinds:
pallete.jpg

orb

O-F Administrator,
News Reporter
Reaction score
How about using these color values I've taken from set of colors unambiguous both to colorblinds and non-colorblinds and modified their brightness (without changing either hue or saturation)?:
Code:
COL_0_BRT = 99D200 ; [color=#00D299]main colour bright[/color]
COL_0_DIM = 5C7E00 ; [color=#007E5C]main colour dim[/color]
COL_1_BRT = 42E4F0 ; [color=#F0E442]aux colour 1 bright[/color]
COL_1_DIM = 0EA1AA ; [color=#AAA10E]aux colour 1 dim[/color]
COL_2_BRT = F0F0F0 ; [color=#F0F0F0]aux colour 2 bright[/color]
COL_2_DIM = 909090 ; [color=#909090]aux colour 2 dim[/color]
COL_3_BRT = 0374FF ; [color=#FF7403]aux colour 3 bright[/color]
COL_3_DIM = 004DAC ; [color=#AC4D00]aux colour 3 dim[/color]
COL_4_BRT = E9B456 ; [color=#56B4E9]aux colour 4 bright[/color]
COL_4_DIM = A97417 ; [color=#1774A9]aux colour 4 dim[/color]
Of course I can't check them, because I'm not colorblind, but here are main colors used next to each other:

COL_3_BRT--COL_4_BRT
COL_0_BRT--COL_1_BRT
COL_4_BRT--COL_3_BRT
COL_4_DIM--COL_3_DIM
COL_0_DIM--COL_1_DIM
COL_3_DIM--COL_4_DIM

And in attachments there are screenshots of OrbitMFD and MapMFD from Orbiter using these values. Are green/yellow colors distinguishable now?

Attachments

• OrbitMFD.jpg
    OrbitMFD.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 53
  • MapMFD.jpg
    MapMFD.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 48

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks Orb for the alternate colours.

It looks like Orbiter ignores the dim settings for colour 0 and colour 1...

Look at the apsis dots in this shot, with edited colours:

Attachments

• colourtest1.JPG
    colourtest1.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 53

orb

O-F Administrator,
News Reporter
Reaction score
It looks like Orbiter ignores the dim settings for colour 0 and colour 1...

Look at the apsis dots in this shot, with edited colours:
Not exactly. Those dots don't use the default colors at all, but colors that are defined in code. Other MFD modes don't use default colors for some parts too, and I think that all external MFDs (and add-ons) don't use default colors, but define them in code. You can check it by changing all the values of default colors to black (i.e. 000000), and switch between different MFD modes.

Since those dots should change their color with changing it in the color configuration file, and other internal MFDs should do the same for some drawn parts, I think it can be reported as a very low priority bug of Orbiter.

Why was I not informed of this?

I thought people knew about possibility of changing MFD default colors, for example this thread.
But if you want to use a hexadecimal color value for it from HTML, you need to switch first 2 digits with 2 last to make it composed correctly.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The colour changed MFDs really look peculiar to my eyes. Then again, I'm sure the default MFD colours are even stranger (and harder to read) to a person who has colourblindness...