News Computer hackers want their own communication satellites into orbit.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
'... with a sign stating F1RS71!!!!' i dont see why they need them

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
This reads more like an Onion article satirizing the hacker community. What the..?

Whereas past space missions have almost all been the preserve of national agencies and large companies, amateur enthusiasts have in recent years sent a few payloads into orbit.

These devices have mostly been sent up using balloons and are tricky to pinpoint precisely from the ground.

They don't exactly understand the concept of orbit, do they?

"Professionals can track satellites from ground stations, but usually they don't have to because, if you pay a large sum [to send the satellite up on a rocket], they put it in an exact place," Mr Bauer said.

Total ignorance.

This problem could be avoided if the hackers managed to put their satellites into geostationary orbits above the equator. This would allow them to match the earth's movement and appear to be motionless when viewed from the ground. However, this would pose a different problem.

"It means that they are so far from earth that there is an appreciable delay on any signal, which can interfere with certain Internet applications," Prof Woodward said.

Yeah...that's the biggest problem. I'm sure they sell upper stages with the precision and delta V to get to GEO in some underground black market. :facepalm:

In the long run, a wider hacker aerospace project aims to put an amateur astronaut onto the moon within the next 23 years.

:facepalm: But best of luck to them though.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
"apart from the ground station scheme, other aspects...being worked on include the development of new electronics that can survive in space and the launch vehicles that can get them there in the first place"

do they know how many infinite leagues of scientists it takes to develop and launch an entirely new launch vehicle from chicken scratch???

"we would use gps coordinates but also improve on them..."

so EFF the censoring government man! but um... please mr. man, sir, if I may use your gps constellation, sir...um please.