Omaha
Utah
Sword
Gold
Juno

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
What was I thinking?... I forgot Chickamauga!

What are some of the creeks/rivers over your direction? (besides Stone's River?)

To be honest, the only river within walking distance from my place is Stones River, that I know of. :p
I'm sure a quick google map search will change that.

TerraMimic

Reaction score
Ah, the Normandy. And the Normandy 2. Both good ships.

Actually, I wasn't thinking of Mass Effect. There was an anime movie I saw a long time ago that used it, and I just thought it was kinda cool to have something like that. They sent the dropships down to secure a beachead, so it seemed appropriate.

SpaceNut

Reaction score
Errr... Moach... I think you just finished the thread off... :lol:

How about SS Schweiger?

Spirit of Orbiter sounds kind of cool...

SS Schweiger... lol, "3 hour space tour" .... lol if you're old enough.

Personally, Enterprise always did it for me as a favorite name for a ship for more than obvious reasons... Although I've always liked Endeavor, which is my fave shuttle name.

Last edited:

palebluevoice

Loud, fat weirdo
Donator
Reaction score
How about the Santa Maria? Spanish is my favorite sounding language(even though I only know 100 words or so)

There's a strategy called called "Star Ruler" where you build your own ships and name them. I made a gargantuan(and obscenely expensive, only one was ever made) carrier ship, with a jump drive and very powerful engines(which still crept it at a slow speed). It only carried colony landers; it had a sister ship, the sperm whale(because it was also giant and had powerful cannons with an extremely high rate of fire, able to wipe out entire fleets while still being able to pile damage onto planets; it ate krill, and because it "fertilizes" a solar system.). The sperm whale would jump into an enemy solar system, kill everything, then the USS Conquistadore would come in and send out enough colony ships for every planet. Damn it was effective; but the enemy steals your design, and...yeah, I wasn't very good at actually playing the game, just designing ships.

Last edited:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The naming system I used, and will keep using hopefully, for my Lunar Transfer System addons is based on rivers and historical railroads in the oil country of northwestern Pennsylvania.

The Lunar Transfer Vessels are named after rivers, preferably with Native American names, because they are such beautiful words and sound so cool. Thus far the only ship released is the Allegheny, but I hope someday to get around to launching the Susquehanna and maybe the Shenandoah. Granted, only the first one is in NW Pennsylvania, but they are all in the Appalachian mountain region and they sound cool so close enough.

LTVmk2_Earthrise.jpg

The Lunar Space Shuttles are mostly named after railroad passenger cars in the Oil Creek and Allegheny River Railroad, which existed in the 1860s during the initial oil boom near Titusville, PA, which is basically the inspiration for my lunar colonization effort. The one exception to the rule is the Dennis Hare, which is named for LazyD, the add-on maker who built the Land and LOLA MFDs and passed away as I was about to release the LSS addon. The landers are all named:

L4ZD-000 LSS Dennis Hare
L4ZD-001 LSS Colonel Edwin L. Drake
L4ZD-002 LSS Seneca
L4ZD-003 LSS Rich Hill
L4ZD-004 LSS Chief Cornplanter

LSS_release_pic.JPG

Delta4

Hybernating colonist
Reaction score
Starhawk
Blackstar
Iron Will
Terra Fidelis
Backfire
Wipeout (preferrably unmanned, may be an unlucky name...)
Gryphon
Phoenix
Firestorm
Maelstrom
Helios
Daedelus
Icarus
The Crucible
Samaritan (repair/rescue ship, perhaps?)
Samson (tug?)
Blackbird
Omega
Terraniux
Vortex Rikers

Those are my ideas.

Wait! Got some more.

Nomad
Donau
Hope
Achilles
Colombus

Last edited:

fcn

Student XR2 Pilot
Reaction score
I think of a bunch of good names right now but this is not why I'm writing right now. Trying to name your craft 'Titanic' or 'The Unsinkable Molly Brown' like Gus Grissom and John Young did in Gemini 3 may piss of your space agency :) so be careful and think twice before you decide!